Jim Jabir [Dayton Coach] resigns [merged thread] | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Jim Jabir [Dayton Coach] resigns [merged thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I thought about that too but then thought maybe Cinci does zero to support WCBB. Dayton has had much more success and maybe the administration is more supportive with funds and what not. You are probably right tho - she's largely been unproductive there (sounds better than saying she's been a failure) and unless there's some extenuating circumstances, I can't see another school being interested.
\

You have many more active brain cells than I so---is the lack of result at Cinci related to the "lack of Admin/Ad support"--is that evident? Wouldn't other institutes see that and have some interest--I'm aware that success is the only measuring stick-- --Obviously, I'm a naive Uconn former player supporter.
Coaches owe something to the players and the schools, but if there is little or no support from the School -!! Then all bets are off--you have to do what is proper for your career and successes. If Dayton comes calling--does she really have a professional choice? I can think of negatives for making that decision--but the pluses out way the minus.

Reaction Score
I didn't mention this in my earlier post, but I think the Jabir's will stay in Dayton. His wife Angie is the Associate AD at UD. They were married last October.

Reaction Score

The most HONORING TRIBUTE of Jim Jabir is from himself and his Dayton team.
Possibly 5,000,000 people and fans to the top 16 teams tuned into the Uconn/Dayton game --and 4,000,000 were cheering Jim. At halftime they could see Jim and company topple the 4 headed Dragon almost in it's own den.
Of all the games Jim's teams have played --million remember that one--the day the earth almost stood still..

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Whoa. Echo everyone in taking a bit of stutter step and if this is health-related, all the best to Coach Jabir in that respect.
From an outside perspective, all I can say is "Job Very Well Done."

Expedited is right...I did a little bit of scanning and a few impressions/thoughts:

- Assistant Coaches. As pointed out Jeff House is a veteran presence, having been at Kentucky prior to Dayton and the WNBA for a long time. Simon Harris, the other assistant, is younger and was on Archie Miller's staff before coming over to the women's team. Neither has been there a long time, but after one or two years, they know the lay of the land. Could see one of these two taking over, given the time crunch.

- Incoming Recruits: Two of Hoopgurlz's Class of 2016 are headed to Dayton: #54. Jenna Giacone, a 5'11" guard from Bethlehem Central in New York; and, #63. Jayla Scaife, a 5'11" wing from Muncie Central, Indiana. So there's talent (still) coming in.

- Possible P5 Assistant Coach to Consider for HC Position: One of Notre Dame's coaching alums might fill the bill. Megan Duffy is from Kettering, Ohio and played at Dayton's Chaminade-Julienne HS before coming to ND. She's been an assistant at St. John's, George Washington (under Jonathan Tsipis, now HC at Wisconsin) and is currently at Michigan under Kim Barnes-Arrico (as she was at St. John's). Good mentors and overall pedigree.

In any case, good luck to Coach Jabir, the Dayton team and university and those mentioned. We'll see what happens.

Reaction Score
My daughter has a good friend who plays for Dayton and I know that she was really saddened by his sudden departure...............however I think that the school and community are extremely supportive of the team and I would doubt if many players will consider leaving the program......

also saw this

Raoul ‏@Raoul_000 41m41 minutes ago
WBB: Couple names floated as possible candidates for Dayton job: OSU assoc. head coach Patrick Klein & Michigan AC/Dayton native Megan Duffy

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Here is the postgame presser with Jim Jabir following the UConn game in 2015: "Yeah, that was fun.....This was a great day." A talented guy with a great attitude, so doubly tough when health makes him step down.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
My daughter has a good friend who plays for Dayton and I know that she was really saddened by his sudden departure.....however I think that the school and community are extremely supportive of the team and I would doubt if many players will consider leaving the program.

also saw this

Raoul ‏@Raoul_000 41m41 minutes ago
WBB: Couple names floated as possible candidates for Dayton job: OSU assoc. head coach Patrick Klein & Michigan AC/Dayton native Megan Duffy

Megan was the first person I thought of (see just above your initial post) for the position, given that she's a native of the area and has been working in the mid-west for a few years at Ann Arbor (not to mention that stint she had playing in South Bend :rolleyes:)

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Well, best of luck to Dayton with their new hire. I'm surprised JJ resigned without being in a position to have a new place to land, but the circumstances were what they were, I guess.. However, after the Bluegrass Double in 2015 (in which Dayton beat Kentucky and Louisville in consecutive rounds), not to mention stealing a half from UConn, I thought he could be a hot HC commodity for WCBB.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Well, best of luck to Dayton with their new hire. I'm surprised JJ resigned without being in a position to have a new place to land, but the circumstances were what they were, I guess.. However, after the Bluegrass Double in 2015 (in which Dayton beat Kentucky and Louisville in consecutive rounds), not to mention stealing a half from UConn, I thought he could be a hot HC commodity for WCBB.

alex ... he resigned for health reasons.

Reaction Score
Sorry to see a wonderful coach resign. Interesting quote from Coach Jabir who said, “It’s funny. The Elite Eight run was awesome. But it also created expectations and pressure. It’s been ongoing for a couple of years. I haven’t been myself. My kids have been worried about me. I’ve been thinking about it and fighting it and struggling to overcome the feelings. I just wasn’t myself anymore and not happy.”

Dayton Flyers women's basketball coach Jim Jabir resigns

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
Based on this interview and how he carried himself through that tournament run a few years back, he's the type of person I'd feel very comfortable coaching my children. I hope he finds the rest he needs, and doesn't rule out Act 2 in the future.

Reaction Score
Here's the first defection from Dayton following the coaching change, it's a painful one as JP is an ESPN top 50 talent, for their sake I hope that's the only player to leave the team over this

Bret McCormick ‏@ASGR1995 2h2 hours ago
ASGR#24 Jaelynn Penn 5-10 G 2017 Butler HS KY has decommitted from Dayton. Opening up recruitment. Contact HS Coach Larry Just 502-432-0317.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom