Jim Fuller: Tough encore on the recruiting front | The Boneyard

Jim Fuller: Tough encore on the recruiting front

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
"Well, for one thing it appears as if the UConn coaches are keeping tabs on more prospects than they have during similar scenarios. The last thing the Huskies want is to have uneven classes so in a perfect world a class of two or three players would be ideal next year."

I think a slighlty wider net than usual is very good. With Michala's departure, we'll have 4 classes of exactly 3 players each next year. CD has said the ideal is 4-3-4-3. Geno has said he would like 3 or even 4 next year. He also does not want any 1-player classes. I hope we can get 4, though PT will be very competitive. I think the solution is to substitute a second line of 5 players, like Geno did in the World Championships. No one gets too much or too little playing time, but the team is stellar or even historic, wins championships, and sends 3-4 player to the pros each year.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
With 2 "starters" graduating in 2013, my guess is Stewart and Jefferson/Banks roll into those spots.

Total roster without the 2013 recruits would be 9.

Starters in 2013-14 - Hartley, Dolson, Lewis, Stewart, Jefferson/Banks.

Bench players would be Jefferson/Banks (whoever doesn't start), Stokes, Tuck, Engeln

Getting 3 would be about right. 4 would be too many, IMO.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
With 2 "starters" graduating in 2013, my guess is Stewart and Jefferson/Banks roll into those spots.

Total roster without the 2013 recruits would be 9.

Starters in 2013-14 - Hartley, Dolson, Lewis, Stewart, Jefferson/Banks.

Bench players would be Jefferson/Banks (whoever doesn't start), Stokes, Tuck, Engeln

Getting 3 would be about right. 4 would be too many, IMO.
Especially after last year, I'd rather err on the high side, at least a little. We've had some injuries, but not as many as other teams. Maybe it's more than just luck, but will it continue? Suppose that Caroline can't go more than 10 minutes per game (like Brittany Hunter) and that one other key player gets injured. That leaves us thin and vulnerable. When Geno goes 6-8 deep, I think it's because that is the number of players he trusts, not based on any set number. If he has 10 good players that he trusts, I think he'll play them.

Looking at your lineup, I think I agree, though that means that Morgan does not start for 2 years. She will get major PT nevertheless. She would start on 99% of teams in the nation. She clearly has AA potential, but like others before her, she may need to wait. That 2013-14 lineup of Hartley, Dolson, Lewis, Stewart, and Jefferson (over Banks in my view) is ridiculously talented.

Is there anyone on the BY who thinks that the Three Amigos will not all be on the Big East All-Freshman team next year? They could all be among the top 20-30 players in the conference from Day 1.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I wonder if the votes for BE freshman of the Year or national freshman of the year will get split between them and then someone else will wind up winning...meh. I bet none of them will care if they can snag a NC!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I wonder if the votes for BE freshman of the Year or national freshman of the year will get split between them and then someone else will wind up winning...meh. I bet none of them will care if they can snag a NC!
If Breanna plays part time and averages 12 and 8, and someone like Jewell Loyd comes in and puts up 16 ppg on a team that needs her scoring, it's possible. But Breanna won't care. I also think that Bre will average more points than Loyd (and a lot more rebounds and blocks), though Jewell looks like a very good one.

Reaction Score
Especially after last year, I'd rather err on the high side, at least a little. We've had some injuries, but not as many as other teams. Maybe it's more than just luck, but will it continue? Suppose that Caroline can't go more than 10 minutes per game (like Brittany Hunter) and that one other key player gets injured. That leaves us thin and vulnerable. When Geno goes 6-8 deep, I think it's because that is the number of players he trusts, not based on any set number. If he has 10 good players that he trusts, I think he'll play them.

Looking at your lineup, I think I agree, though that means that Morgan does not start for 2 years. She will get major PT nevertheless. She would start on 99% of teams in the nation. She clearly has AA potential, but like others before her, she may need to wait. That 2013-14 lineup of Hartley, Dolson, Lewis, Stewart, and Jefferson (over Banks in my view) is ridiculously talented.

Is there anyone on the BY who thinks that the Three Amigos will not all be on the Big East All-Freshman team next year? They could all be among the top 20-30 players in the conference from Day 1.

Reaction Score
Am I the only one that thinks a high-caliber recruit would get fired up about another coach telling me I would "never play" if I went to a certain school? Some kids love being challenged like that, especially the ones that Uconn tends to target. I'm not so sure that strategy wouldn't push some kids towards Uconn rather than away.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Am I the only one that thinks a high-caliber recruit would get fired up about another coach telling me I would "never play" if I went to a certain school? Some kids love being challenged like that, especially the ones that Uconn tends to target. I'm not so sure that strategy wouldn't push some kids towards Uconn rather than away.

Not when a lot of kids, especially today, want things handed to them or at least made a little easier.

UConn is not for everyone. Geno is a tough coach. But if you ask his former players, they love him. And there is a reason for that...he makes them better players, moreso than the players themselves could have imagined.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
The "right" kind of player for UConn will most likely not be afraid of competition.

Having said that, if you know another top program has an immediate need at the position you play, I imagine some kids will take that seriously when they make their decision.

Fortunately for UConn, the program has a unique value proposition given the caliber of coaching and the fact that, for the entire lifetime of these kids, UConn has never lost more than one game in a row, never failed to make the Sweet 16, never won fewer than 25 games, never failed to capture a league title (regular season and/or BET), and never finished outside of the top 10 in the final poll. That's something kids want to be a part of, and I am confident UConn will get a good class of kids for 2013.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Not when a lot of kids, especially today, want things handed to them or at least made a little easier.

UConn is not for everyone. Geno is a tough coach. But if you ask his former players, they love him. And there is a reason for that...he makes them better players, moreso than the players themselves could have imagined.
Good answer, Cam, though I agree with JB as well. Some kids would be insulted or pi$$ed if a coach told them that. Those are the kids who want to come to UConn.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Fortunately for UConn, the program has a unique value proposition given the caliber of coaching and the fact that, for the entire lifetime of these kids, UConn has never lost more than one game in a row, never failed to make the Sweet 16, never won fewer than 25 games, never failed to capture a league title (regular season and/or BET), and never finished outside of the top 10 in the final poll. That's something kids want to be a part of, and I am confident UConn will get a good class of kids for 2013.
Well put. Some kids who hate to lose want to play in never-never-land. :D

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
If Breanna plays part time and averages 12 and 8, and someone like Jewell Loyd comes in and puts up 16 ppg on a team that needs her scoring, it's possible. But Breanna won't care.
Cool, another Honey Badger.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Bingo!

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
UConn is loaded for next couple of seasons and everybody is gonna play. Who starts will be determined by who works the hardest in practice. It will have to be that way because everybody on the team could start. So working for playtime will be very competitive at practice.

Next season UConn will almost be unbeatable. With Tiff graduated there will be one starting position available. First guess would be its KMLs to lose. Now with that said. Caroline Kelly and Heather will graduate this season. That means Geno needs to develop kids for guard positions. BB will need to get minutes this season along with MJ to fill the guard positions. Both should see alot of minutes. Underneath we have versatility to go along with our height. Stef Kiah Breanna Heather and Morgan will be the most enforcing presence in WCBB. It will be very difficult for opponets to score underneath with so much height and shot blockers. Againest Griner you can bring her out and back door her againest UConn you cant because we have multiple players.

The only team next season that can hang with us is Baylor. Depending on how our freshman mature when we meet Baylor, it could be a rout. UConn will make it very difficult for not only Griner but Baylor with all our height.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
The "right" kind of player for UConn will most likely not be afraid of competition.

Having said that, if you know another top program has an immediate need at the position you play, I imagine some kids will take that seriously when they make their decision.

We just studied value propostions at school!

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
We just studied value propostions at school!
Excellent- sadly, it's unlikely you'll work for a firm with as strong a value prop as UConn WBB. Though I suppose that's why it's important to understand positioning; the less obvious the value proposition, the better you need to be at positioning. :)

arty155

Post Poster
Reaction Score
Excellent- sadly, it's unlikely you'll work for a firm with as strong a value prop as UConn WBB. Though I suppose that's why it's important to understand positioning; the less obvious the value proposition, the better you need to be at positioning. :)
-So, you’re saying, if we’re ever propositioned, ask what position they want???
:confused: :eek:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
-So, you’re saying, if we’re ever propositioned, ask what position they want???
:confused: :eek:
I was going to note that Sara and the rest of us are getting some higher education today. But that was before Arty got involved and brought us back to the usual level. :)

Very funny, Arty!

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I was going to note that Sara and the rest of us are getting some higher education today. But that was before Arty got involved and brought us back to the usual level. :)

Very funny, Arty!
It works out. Arty can keep us entertained, and eventually we'll all work for Sara. :)

arty155

Post Poster
Reaction Score
...the rest of us are getting some higher education today. But that was before Arty got involved and brought us back to the usual level.

My work is done here!
Marvin 8(1).jpg

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Completely OT, I know, but my boss surprised me today with a place at a women's bball coaching clinic led by Marsha Sharp (and Jody Conradt, but she's just giving a speech and I am skipping it!) and a lot of NCAA assistant coaches...apparently, I talk about my 5th grade team A LOT.

Three days of skills lessons, paid for by my company! And no, I do not work for a sports-related business, my boss is just awesome!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom