Jim Fuller: Putting World Vision Classic Into Focus | The Boneyard

Jim Fuller: Putting World Vision Classic Into Focus

Status
Not open for further replies.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
"Just a few thoughts from the past three days of action from the World Vision Classic. First, the results were pretty much status quo for tournament of this type. UConn won its three games by a total of 142 points. Geno Auriemma was asked about why this field was so weak but a quick look back to the last two regular-season tournaments hosted by the Huskies shows that UConn won by a total of 134 points against Howard, Lehigh and Louisiana State in 2010 and by 138 against Hofstra, Richmond and Clemson. The only real difference is that none of the other three teams came from a BCS conference."

LINK

Reaction Score
"Just a few thoughts from the past three days of action from the World Vision Classic. First, the results were pretty much status quo for tournament of this type. UConn won its three games by a total of 142 points. Geno Auriemma was asked about why this field was so weak but a quick look back to the last two regular-season tournaments hosted by the Huskies shows that UConn won by a total of 134 points against Howard, Lehigh and Louisiana State in 2010 and by 138 against Hofstra, Richmond and Clemson. The only real difference is that none of the other three teams came from a BCS conference."

LINK
Why play these type teams.......

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
What is a BCS conference? Wasn't aware the girls were playing football now, though Tiff might be a pretty good slashing running back in the right offense what with that speed and cutting ability.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Why play these type teams.......

Because they can't all be Stanford and Baylor. Can you come up with (willing) replacement teams that won't exhaust the team come tourney time? Every top team has these "issues."

Perhaps coaches can propose to the NCAA that they reduce the total number of games everyone plays.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
This topic is tiresome.

I agree with TJI about fewer games but we know that ain't gonna happen.

Geno likes to play teams that don't demand a home-and-home for obvious reasons (save that arrangement for Duke, Baylor, UNC, Oklahoma, etc.) and these teams love the opportunity to play before thousands instead of dozens -- not to mention getting on TV and getting a nice paycheck.

For the foreseeable future, we will play about 18 Big East games and about 8-10 OOC games, some against ranked teams and others against, um, unranked ones.

The discussion will continue to be unproductive. Like this post.

Reaction Score
seems like there should be other options, in between playing top 10 schools and bottom schools. how about a strong mid-major, like a princeton or even delaware.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
seems like there should be other options, in between playing top 10 schools and bottom schools. how about a strong mid-major, like a princeton or even delaware.
Not all teams want to face UConn early in the year. Some programs with the right attitude (Pacific comes to mind) can benefit from getting pounded by the Huskies but others' confidence might suffer. Coaches need to do what they think is right for their teams and if that includes avoiding UConn (and Stanford, ND, Tenn, Duke, etc) then that's what they'll do. There've been a couple times Geno couldn't find a home game for one of his seniors for this reason.

Sometimes it's a logistics issue - teams just aren't in the right place at the right time or they don't have a date open when a game can be scheduled. Or it's a TV issue, like when ESPN wants to pick up a game and chooses a date it would like the game to air and the programs just can't get together. I know Geno & former Texas Tech coach Marsha Sharp tried to work something out but just couldn't make the puzzle pieces fit.

Some coaches don't like Geno or are ticked because a recruit went to UConn or another personality-driven reason. Oh well.

There are probably lots more reasons I can't think of right now.

Reaction Score
What is a BCS conference? Wasn't aware the girls were playing football now, though Tiff might be a pretty good slashing running back in the right offense what with that speed and cutting ability.
For the time being the Big East is a BCS conference. LOL
That's the way the pigskin bounces.

Reaction Score
... Geno likes to play teams that don't demand a home-and-home for obvious reasons (save that arrangement for Duke, Baylor, UNC, Oklahoma, etc.) and these teams love the opportunity to play before thousands instead of dozens -- not to mention getting on TV and getting a nice paycheck ...

Paycheck? Do we know for certain that any wcbb team (besides UConn's arrangement with CPTV) gets paid for playing on TV?

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that ESPN pays nada for broadcasting the women's NCAA games. I'll bet most women's teams would be grateful just for the chance to get exposure on TV, never mind getting paid.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I believe the money is paid to the NCAA and they distribute it. In 2010 the NCAA distributed nearly 10 million to UConn. If that's the case it would be interesting to see the breakdown. Who got what and why?

Reaction Score
I think you've thrown the Men's and Women's payments (if any) into the same pot. Unfortunately, that clarifies nothing.

I still have yet to see any evidence that any college women's basketball team gets money for TV broadcasts from any source (UConn/CPTV excepted).

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
NCAA/Conference revenues for 2010 were 933K for women's basketball. I think that is all sources including tournament revenues and television. I would assume that other schools also get a piece of that pie.

The media revenue for institution negotiated contracts (CPTV et al) was 1.3 million.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score

I still have yet to see any evidence that any college women's basketball team gets money for TV broadcasts from any source (UConn/CPTV excepted).

Some other schools use the media undergrads to "televise" games over the internet for a modest charge, so I think there are some revenues, but probably quite modest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom