Jim Fuller: Geno comments on the post-ND reaction | The Boneyard

Jim Fuller: Geno comments on the post-ND reaction

Status
Not open for further replies.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
"If you are a player or coach at Connecticut, that is the world we live in. We are not allowed to lose, the other teams are not allowed to win because if the other team wins it must be because Connecticut sucked, what it does to their psyche. It is the only place in American where you are not allowed to lose any games ever even to the top two teams in the country in triple overtime or by one at home or by six to the defending national champions, that is just unacceptable. Does it wear on them, what do you think? I am not complaining, I am just stating fact that this is the world that we have created here. I don't know what I can do about it."

LINK

Reaction Score
I think most of us would be willing to live Geno's agony for a year for his salary. Hmm, where do I get in that (long) line?!? :rolleyes:

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
I think most of us would be willing to live Geno's agony for a year for his salary. Hmm, where do I get in that (long) line?!? :rolleyes:

"Does it wear on them, what do you think? I am not complaining, I am just stating fact that this is the world that we have created here. I don't know what I can do about it."

Geno's not complaining about his plight or his compensation. He's talking about the pressure and "wear" everyone's expectations and "expression of displeasure" places on the players.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Coach can handle the pressure; he's been there before. It's tough on the 18-22 year olds. However, they are more upset at the loss than the fans.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
It rmust be very tough on these good kids, and I'm not just talking UCONN's players, to have a bunch of adults expressing such disappointment when they don't win.

I feel bad for Stewart as you can just see the pressure written all over. She was expected to step in as a freshman and take the team to a title. She was being compared to some of the all-time greats before ever putting on a college jersey. That is a lot of pressure on an 18 year old.

Reaction Score
Geno's not complaining about his plight or his compensation. He's talking about the pressure and "wear" everyone's expectations and "expression of displeasure" places on the players.

But these are the expectation he's built, and I doubt he'd want it anyway. He's often said that part of the reason that ct and tn were successful is because they were the 2 programs that always had high standards and didn't have a parade for winning a game.

I suspect even he would disagree with this statement if you Ask him in 3 months, but right now the loss is still raw.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I didn't see much negative reaction to the Baylor loss. They have the best player in WCBB who is also a unique physical specimen. But snatching defeat from the jaws of victory for the second time against a team that is #2 by default? Sorry, that was piss poor, and no one affiliated with the program should feel good about that.

This is a down year for WCBB. Uconn should be the clear #2 team and has instead underperformed relative to where they should be. Would most programs kill to have the disappointing season Uconn is having? Sure. But when you have seven NCs and a 90-game winning streak, that's the bar. Good but not great isn't acceptable...least of all to Geno, unless he's gotten soft in his old age (and I don't think he has).

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score

Great comment. :rolleyes: You wouldn't know how to work as hard as he does and put in as much as he puts in to his program.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I didn't see much negative reaction to the Baylor loss. They have the best player in WCBB who is also a unique physical specimen. But snatching defeat from the jaws of victory for the second time against a team that is #2 by default? Sorry, that was piss poor, and no one affiliated with the program should feel good about that.

This is a down year for WCBB. Uconn should be the clear #2 team and has instead underperformed relative to where they should be. Would most programs kill to have the disappointing season Uconn is having? Sure. But when you have seven NCs and a 90-game winning streak, that's the bar. Good but not great isn't acceptable...least of all to Geno, unless he's gotten soft in his old age (and I don't think he has).

Sorry, Alex, but this is exactly what he is talking about. It's about UConn and no credit to ND. They have beaten everyone else.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Not sure if I want to get into this one but at the end of the day our guys underperformed and their guys didn't.
But just look at LSU, they had a terrible and similar loss to UTenn and came roaring back.
I've said a couple of times that Geno earns his big bucks right now.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
If UConn had done their best and got beaten by a better team there would have been a lot less flack. It wasn't the loss as much as it was the way they lost.

Reaction Score
I know it's not every time, but it seems like this is what he says every time they lose to a big team. Doesn't mean it isn't true, but i'm bored of it.

Reaction Score
"It is the only place in America where you are not allowed to lose any games ever..."

Ah yes, the old refrain. Often heard after a disappointing home turnout as well. "The most spoiled fans in college sports."

Of course its also the only place in America with a team that has achieved a number of almost ridiculous winning streaks. Take your pick: 90 games overall. Before that 70 games overall. 70 home games. Before that 69 home games. A two season, 78 game winning streak where only one game was won by less than 10 points. And of course Bob Picozzi's favorite: a recently ended 19 year home winning streak against unranked opponents.

And so clearly this is just Coach protecting his players, and letting off some steam, which is perfectly fine. Or as folks like to say - "Coach being coach."

For if he truly believes this, he may want to have a conversation with Joe Torre, regarding his 1997, 2001 and 2002 seasons working for a man who once declared "Winning is the most important thing in my life, after breathing. Breathing first, winning next." Or any of a number of college football coaches in the SEC (Nick Saban, for example) where losing one game can truly mean a failed season, considerable lost revenue from missed Bowl games, an upset administration and a rabid fan base calling for termination.

Bottom line is teams that almost always win (or perhaps more importantly, almost never lose) beget a large, massively engaged fan base that expect to win every game and are upset when they don't. And teams that don't generate a lesser fan base with more reasonably managed expectations.

I suspect Coach would be much happier with the former...

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
I once asked Husky Bill…”what constitutes a poster you enjoy”, and he said” Anyone who is interesting”. DD surely is that…he pokes, prods, and elicits strong reactions. But, he sure as heck is interesting. In real life, he is friendly and collegial, and he goes out of his way to be supportive and protective of our team.

I am more than glad he posts here, we would be far less w/o him. Indeed, we miss him when he doesn’t post. Your post, Fan23, does not reflect my personal experience with him.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
That is just not true. You are just looking at it one way.

Yes, it was a tough loss, but to make that blanket statement is just wrong.
Well 35 TOs and the poor FT shooting at the end. I hope that was under-performance. If not then we are in trouble. What would you call it?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I know it's not every time, but it seems like this is what he says every time they lose to a big team. Doesn't mean it isn't true, but i'm bored of it.
What would you prefer him say? Want him to make something up?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
What's wrong with people that they need to resort to personal attacks to make their point? Geez.
Coach can handle the pressure; he's been there before. It's tough on the 18-22 year olds. However, they are more upset at the loss than the fans.
I don't know that the players were quite as scathing in their reviews as some posters, though. But then, we live in a "what have you done for me lately" society that forgets all the previous good stuff and dwells on the most recent stuff.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
"It is the only place in America where you are not allowed to lose any games ever..."

Ah yes, the old refrain. Often heard after a disappointing home turnout as well. "The most spoiled fans in college sports."

Of course its also the only place in America with a team that has achieved a number of almost ridiculous winning streaks. Take your pick: 90 games overall. Before that 70 games overall. 70 home games. Before that 69 home games. A two season, 78 game winning streak where only one game was won by less than 10 points. And of course Bob Picozzi's favorite: a recently ended 19 year home winning streak against unranked opponents.

And so clearly this is just Coach protecting his players, and letting off some steam, which is perfectly fine. Or as folks like to say - "Coach being coach."

For if he truly believes this, he may want to have a conversation with Joe Torre, regarding his 1997, 2001 and 2002 seasons working for a man who once declared "Winning is the most important thing in my life, after breathing. Breathing first, winning next." Or any of a number of college football coaches in the SEC (Nick Saban, for example) where losing one game can truly mean a failed season, considerable lost revenue from missed Bowl games, an upset administration and a rabid fan base calling for termination.

Bottom line is teams that almost always win (or perhaps more importantly, almost never lose) beget a large, massively engaged fan base that expect to win every game and are upset when they don't. And teams that don't generate a lesser fan base with more reasonably managed expectations.

I suspect Coach would be much happier with the former...

He is talking about the fans. Not the team. THEY expect to win every game. It's the way some fans react that he is talking about.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Well 35 TOs and the poor FT shooting at the end. I hope that was under-performance. If not then we are in trouble. What would you call it?
You are ignoring the "their guys didn't".

What would you call 11-31 shooting, 0-5 on 3's with 8 TO's?
What would you call 11-28 shooting, 1-4 on 3's?
What would you call 2-10 shooting, 0-1 on 3's?

Looks like there was plenty of under-performing by both teams and that was my point. Looking at it one way.

Reaction Score
I normally just lurk and enjoy reading everyones comments but I would rather they lose a couple games during the regular season then go on a 9 - 0 run after. Its all about the League Tournament Championship and a National Title. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom