Jim Calhoun's Role At St. Joe's, UConn Becoming Clearer As He Looks Toward Coaching | The Boneyard

Jim Calhoun's Role At St. Joe's, UConn Becoming Clearer As He Looks Toward Coaching

Reaction Score
The arrangement being discussed will bring a change in his status at UConn, but not a severing of ties. The likely scenario, according to a source familiar with the talks, is that Calhoun will flip roles, becoming a full-time employee at St. Joe’s as head coach and a part-time consultant at UConn. The transition is expected to become official by mid- to late-summer. St Joe’s, which is going coed, begins play in Division III men’s basketball in November and Calhoun is deeply invested in the start-up process.

Jim Calhoun's Role At St. Joe's, UConn Becoming Clearer As He Looks Toward Coaching

borninansonia

Neandertal
Reaction Score
How long before St. Joe's is the best Division III men's basketball program in New England?

My guess: year 2. Year 3 one of the best in the country, and year 4, if coach stays healthy, best in the nation Division III.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
How long before St. Joe's is the best Division III men's basketball program in New England?

My guess: year 2. Year 3 one of the best in the country, and year 4, if coach stays healthy, best in the nation Division III.
I can't see the attraction for most decent players outside of JC. It's a sterile little campus with no real facilities.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
So, basically, an incredible attraction.
New England Division 3 has some of the best liberal arts schools in the country. Nobody is playing to get to the next level, so having JC whip you into shape would be less attractive than attending a great school with an alumni network. I could walk to the St. Joe's campus, and spent the last year looking at about 20 schools with my kids who graduate high school this year. St. Joes has nothing going for it but quiet, which I guess now will be punctuated by the sound of JC yelling at the team.

Reaction Score
The article referenced a roster being set. Has anyone seen it? I'm just curious where they are pulling players from.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
New England Division 3 has some of the best liberal arts schools in the country. Nobody is playing to get to the next level, so having JC whip you into shape would be less attractive than attending a great school with an alumni network. I could walk to the St. Joe's campus, and spent the last year looking at about 20 schools with my kids who graduate high school this year. St. Joes has nothing going for it but quiet, which I guess now will be punctuated by the sound of JC yelling at the team.

Garbage.

The average DIII player spends his life playing basketball despite not having pro prospects. They're at the same AAU tournaments as the five-star kids every single weekend.

Playing for Jim Calhoun would have terrific appeal to those kids.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Garbage.

The average DIII player spends his life playing basketball despite not having pro prospects. They're at the same AAU tournaments as the five-star kids every single weekend.

I'm mainly responding to the post where he will win a national championship by year 4. Not without getting some teal talent, even at that level. And he will be starting from scratch with a school that isn't even in a traditional D 3 conference as far as I know.

Reaction Score

D3 basketball players in this state are still extremely talented. This isn't podunk backwoods Maine. Kids who average close to 30 points in public school leagues are still heading to d3. They live eat and breathe basketball all year long. They may not be pro, but these are basketball-first type kids who still want to do well in school. Few 17 year old ballers are concerned with academic reputation.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score

I was gonna ask this question myself. How many New England kids won’t want to play for a hofer?

Unless you’re going to one of the snobby litttle Ivies you mght as well Play for jc if you wanna play d3 hoops.

Reaction Score
Garbage.

Also Jim Calhoun ALONE makes for an interesting alumni network for anyone that plays and is interested in basketball.

Reaction Score
The article referenced a roster being set. Has anyone seen it? I'm just curious where they are pulling players from.

NewEnglandRecruitingReport has had a few recent articles about scholarship level players that will be playing for St. Joes. He's recruiting extremely well.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Also Jim Calhoun ALONE makes for an interesting alumni network for anyone that plays and is interested in basketball.

Yeah, if you want to coach, Calhoun is the guy to play for.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I'm mainly responding to the post where he will win a national championship by year 4. Not without getting some teal talent, even at that level. And he will be starting from scratch with a school that isn't even in a traditional D 3 conference as far as I know.

He's not going to be there in year four. Or year three.

But he'll get players as long as he's there.

Reaction Score
Still baffled why UConn didn;t find a much larger role for him if he had this much energy/time etc... to spare.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Still baffled why UConn didn;t find a much larger role for him if he had this much energy/time etc... to spare.

He had that role for years where he told people not to donate to UConn.

Reaction Score

Quick turnarounds aren't completely unprecedented at the D3 level - WPI went from having a winless season to making the Sweet Sixteen in a 3-4 year span after making a coach change, and now they're one of the better programs in New England.

These kids aren't leaving school early, so if you get a couple of borderline scholarship players (which he may have already), they're going to be impact guys from day 1 and then you get to coach them for 4 years.

Reaction Score
St Joes has West Hartford that is 5 minuites away. Being quit in that area is good. I rather be in the St Joes area then said Williams, Colby or Wesleyan locations

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Quick turnarounds aren't completely unprecedented at the D3 level - WPI went from having a winless season to making the Sweet Sixteen in a 3-4 year span after making a coach change, and now they're one of the better programs in New England.

These kids aren't leaving school early, so if you get a couple of borderline scholarship players (which he may have already), they're going to be impact guys from day 1 and then you get to coach them for 4 years.
Apparently, he has no plans to coach for more than 2 years. I checked the league, the winner last year was Albertus Magnus, had a nice year and record, didn't appear to get an invite to the tournament though.

C

Chief00

You have to see the future not the past.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom