Jim Calhoun | The Boneyard

Jim Calhoun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm biased but I think JC has been terrific on ESPN. His knowledge of the sport is unparalleled and he really does a good job of explaining the game. Of course I knew about his knowledge of the game but I thought he might be a little hard to understand for some viewers or didn't really know if his personality would shine through on camera. He just has a really great way of explaining things and doesn't have any of the shtick so many of the other guys have. He is insightful, funny, engaging and he looks terrific. Retirement looks like it's been really good to JC.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Oh, you're biased..but he's been fantastic anyway.

He's brilliant and he's a former teacher - that's a pretty good combo if you're trying to break something down for the masses.

Typically, ESPN tries to do that using bubble-headed doofuses, so Calhoun looks all the better.

Reaction Score
Yes, he brilliant. And he is doesn't pull punches.

But he is very hard to understand. He really needs to address this if he wants to make himself a great analyst. Talk slower. Enunciate.

I love Coach Calhoun. I hope someone at ESPN is working with him.

Reaction Score
Yes, he brilliant. And he is doesn't pull punches.

But he is very hard to understand. He really needs to address this if he wants to make himself a great analyst. Talk slower. Enunciate.

I love Coach Calhoun. I hope someone at ESPN is working with him.

ESPN called me and I will be working with JC this week. You will soon see a much slower talking JC although the words may be a bit tougher to understand still as he will be fn hammered! He may swear a few times too. ;)

Reaction Score
I'm biased but I think JC has been terrific on ESPN. His knowledge of the sport is unparalleled and he really does a good job of explaining the game. Of course I knew about his knowledge of the game but I thought he might be a little hard to understand for some viewers or didn't really know if his personality would shine through on camera. He just has a really great way of explaining things and doesn't have any of the shtick so many of the other guys have. He is insightful, funny, engaging and he looks terrific. Retirement looks like it's been really good to JC.
He looked great in the black suit. 3 pc I believe?

Reaction Score
thank JC is a terrific analyst! he is not afraid to delve into some complexity that TV often seems to want to avoid for simplicity & clarity.

His brogue is tough...one has to listen closely.....

Amazing.....UConn has won 4 NC's .... the last 2 were beyond storybook fantasy too!

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
You can see he is on another level BB wise compared to other coach/player turned analysts.

He broadcasting abilities need work. He's slowed down and is clearer compared to what we used to hear, but he's favoring spontaneity and personality over delivery.

Jim has more S and P that most people just speaking normally, no need to punch it up. Deliver the thought as planned.

Reaction Score
You can see he is on another level BB wise compared to other coach/player turned analysts.

He broadcasting abilities need work. He's slowed down and is clearer compared to what we used to hear, but he's favoring spontaneity and personality over delivery.

Jim has more S and P that most people just speaking normally, no need to punch it up. Deliver the thought as planned.
good point about the 'spontaneity'. Another word I would use is 'authenticity'. Calhoun reeks of that ... that is part of his 'crusty' charm

Reaction Score
Another thing that adds to JC's success on ESPN.

He followed Bob Knight....

Having said that. I love JC's raw ability to read and explain a play before it's coming. He points out mismatches and gives the viewers an "inside the huddle" aspect. You can't beat that.

Reaction Score

Having said that. I love JC's raw ability to read and explain a play before it's coming. He points out mismatches and gives the viewers an "inside the huddle" aspect. You can't beat that.
agree with that too. good observation. he does come at audience with the 'anticipation' of what opponent likely to do and so best 'counter-moves'

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
HuskyFich said:

Yup, Knight was just throwing curmudgeonly one liners. You got the feeling JC knew UK would lose, but couldn't say that outright.

Reaction Score
Knight was actually really insightful for a while before he fell off.

Hopefully he can call more games next year.

Reaction Score
While looking for information on Tevin Mack I saw a thread on the VCU board that proposed Jim Calhoun to be their new coach...

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
With Ray Allen as the assistant...and it was proposed by a self-proclaimed UConn fan.

I don't think I'll ever get back the five minutes I spent browsing that board to find the thread. And to think I harp on posters here...you are all saintly and uber-rational in comparison to what goes on there.

Reaction Score
Knight was actually really insightful for a while before he fell off.

Hopefully he can call more games next year.

Yeah, Knight his first couple years was really solid, then he just got really old/tired overnight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom