Jim Calhoun to Retire according too channel 30 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Jim Calhoun to Retire according too channel 30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Man, didn't expect this until after the season . . . .

All Huskies fans should rejoice and pay tribute to the greatest coach in cbb.

Thanks for the memories and happy days!

Reaction Score
Frankly, I'm Okay with this. We all knew this day was coming soon. I love the guy. He's synonomous with UConn Men's hoops putting it on the National Map himself.

It's as good a time as any to have a changing of the guard if the recruits we have keep their verbals and we pick up some upper tier top 100 recruits such as XRM. Now this might only be possible if KO takes over.

I don't know how realistic it is for the administration to begin a national search for a new head coach at this late stage. Go with Ollie as the interim and see how he does.

Getting back to JC, I'm going to miss so many things about him. Stomping on the sideline, the tough love he shows his players from the in-your-face to the strong embrace...oooh that rhymes.

I'm looking forward to seeing how they will honor him.
And the way he worked officials for every call. He would not let anyone bully his team.
As he likes to say he wanted to impose there will on the other team.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Gonna miss the hell out of him.

I hope Uconn basketball will be successful, and I think it will, but no matter how much success we have moving forward, things will never be the same.

Reaction Score
Looks like Kevin Ollie is replacing him. Terms of the new deal have not been disclosed.

RIP.

Reaction Score
He hasn't died. Jeez, give me a heart attack whydontcha?!

Feels the same to me haha. Just imagine the next time you're at a game or watching on TV and you see that sideline without Jim Calhoun. Im shaking my head just thinking about it now.

Reaction Score
I didn't think I would be, but I'm absolutely devastated by this.

Not to get too personal (always a sign someone is going to get personal), but UConn winning the title in 1999 (I was a freshman in high school) was always one of those moments where my father and I were most connected. We always yelled at each other during games, and had to watch them in separate rooms--but each timeout we would meet in the hallway and commiserate. That title meant so much to me, and always has. My father (long a lurker here, and the reason I ever came in the first place--to prove to him how stupid you were...I am frequently proven correct, by the way, but generally, as usual, wrong) died of cancer in 2010, and the 2011 title was difficult for me in some ways--he loved Kemba so much--but I always thought back to that title, the one title we were together for (I was in college in 2004). Losing Calhoun just feels like so much more to me at this moment.

I knew it was going to come at some point, but I really looked forward to 800 wins, another BE title, and who knows, another NC? For me, he is UConn basketball, a person who stands for toughness and dedication, and someone without whom I fear for the future of the team. If they're really giving it to Ollie, he will have my full support, but I can't say I'm in love with that position.

It's an uncertain team moving forward, with an unproven coach, in an uncertain and shifting league. I really hope we don't get left behind.

Reaction Score
As many times as I've thought about posting on the often read, always entertaining, and much appreciated boneyard, I've never quite got around to doing so.

But today I had to acknowledge Calhoun and how much he has meant to me personally (even though I've never actually met the man).

Thank you Coach. I've celebrated all the highs since you arrived at UConn (same year I was born) and even enjoyed the lows knowing that you and your team would come out swinging with everything you had. Its been a joy to watch and I'm proud to be a UConn fan because of the tone you set for the team each and every game.​

In celebration of his career I think I'll track down my copy of "Basketball Jim Calhoun's Way," go to the courts, and reenact those nights I used to practice in the driveway hoping that one day I'd get to play for Calhoun at UConn.

ElmCity40th

F…y’all talkin bout?
Reaction Score
Connecticut Basketball= Jim Calhoun

LOVE FOREVER COACH!!! YOU WILL BE GREATLY MISSED
THANKS FOR A LIFETIME OF GOOD MEMORIES

Reaction Score
Worst day ever. I'm on an emotionful roller coaster. If I were to watch some highlight tapes and post game interviews I would turn into a sobbing ball on the floor. I was really hoping we would have him for one final run with him at the helm, but thank you Coach, you WILL be greatly missed but forever appreciated.

Reaction Score
Looks like Kevin Ollie is replacing him. Terms of the new deal have not been disclosed.

Those of you who predicted this Dean Smith-like power play in the fall, give yourselves a pat on the back.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
JC was and always will be the man!!

He took all us UConn men's bb fans to the summit many times over. No way any of us predicted that would happen even once.

A tough year just got tougher. Thanks for everything JC including the time you smiled when I approached you to sign my Simon and Garfunkel concert ticket. Nothing like having a 50 something guy asking for an autograph.

Hopefully JC is as good at spotting coaching talent as he is about finding diamond in the rough bb players and hopefully KO will not disappoint.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Rough day for me, rough day for any UConn fan. Thanks coach, you are literally the entire reason I applied to UConn and had the best years of my life. Enjoy retirement, you've earned it.
Me too. If no Calhoun, no UCONN rise to prominence, No CAHUSKY applying to UCONN.

Reaction Score
Jim Calhoun takes backseat to no one. What a sad day today. This man has brought so much joy to my life. I'd camp out in February on the Gampel steps one more time if could without looking like a total creeper.

Reaction Score
Too bad he has to go out on a low note, he deserves to go out on a NC.

Time for Ollie to do his thing.

5 bucks NCAA rescinds postseason ban.

Reaction Score
like wooden is to ucla, rupp to kentucky.....................jim calhoun is to uconn. what he did was one of the greatest coaching accomplishments in the history of collegiate atheletics.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I didn't think I would be, but I'm absolutely devastated by this.

Not to get too personal (always a sign someone is going to get personal), but UConn winning the title in 1999 (I was a freshman in high school) was always one of those moments where my father and I were most connected.

I have you by 20 years but I'm with you. I took my father to the games in Tampa. It was a miracle. My teams never won. In fact, they would lose in gut-wrenching fashion. JC changed it all.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Thanks Jim. Words cannot express what you have meant to so many.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom