Jim Calhoun to Retire according too channel 30 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Jim Calhoun to Retire according too channel 30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It cannot be overstated how much he has meant to UConn athletics, the University and the state. He's a ducking legend and even though I thought this news was coming it feels strange to actually realize it is happening.

Reactions: caw
Reaction Score
This is a very sad day for the University of Connecticut... but we knew this day would come soon. This should also be a day to admire what Calhoun has done for not only the basketball program but the University as a whole. We should look back on all the accomplishments Calhoun has achieved. He built this program into a basketball power house. He goes down as one of the greatest basketball coaches of all time. You had a great career Jim. THE UNIVERSITY OF CONNECTICUT THANKS YOU!

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Whatever anyone hoped he would bring when he was first hired was delivered tenfold! He and he alone is the reason we are relevant and have reason to be upset with what is going on with conference realignment.

Without him we are basically Maine/UNH/UMass/URI without the hockey priograms that a couple of those schools have.

Have a great retirement coach! You are the greatest thing that happened to my alma mater and the state I've lived my entire life in!

Reaction Score
Now can the powers that be at UCONN name the court at Gampel for him?

How about this season . It would be a great sendoff(and I don't want to hear they can't because of Geno)

Reaction Score
Truly a bittersweet day for UConn basketball.

We all knew this sad moment would eventually happen.
I was hoping for later rather than sooner and he'd be able to run out the last 2 yrs of his contract and maybe get the 4th ring.

Thank you Coach Calhoun for building our program to heights never imagined.
Thank you thank you thank you.

Reaction Score
Love the guy. I designed and built his restaurant Coach's back in '93. He was very gracious during the meetings we had. Enjoy retirement JC, you've earned it. Thanks for the memories.

Coach and my kids, 2004.

coachandkids.JPG

Reaction Score
Rough day for me, rough day for any UConn fan. Thanks coach, you are literally the entire reason I applied to UConn and had the best years of my life. Enjoy retirement, you've earned it.

Reaction Score
Now can the powers that be at UCONN name the court at Gampel for him?

How about this season . It would be a great sendoff(and I don't want to hear they can't because of Geno)
My suggestion is to tell both coaches that they will name the court after JC Now, but will add GO's name to it when he retires. Or how about flip the name back and forth each year.:)

swami7774

I know things.
Reaction Score
I remember the day he was hired in 1986. I thought "well, this young, energetic guy should be an improvement." That turned out to be the understatement of a lifetime.
Thanks, Coach. You made all of us alumni incredibly proud. Now go enjoy life.

Reaction Score
I will remember Jim for bringing me some of the most joyous moments of my life. Both my kids are UConn fans and the older of the 2 graduated a Husky in 2011. From that first NIT to "Te Shot" to Kemba's run and in between it's been an amazing ride. Thank you Coach. Damn right I shed a tear and I'm not giving one tear back.

Reaction Score
My suggestion is to tell both coaches that they will name the court after JC Now, but will add GO's name to it when he retires. Or how about flip the name back and forth each year.:)

Sorry not negotiable :)

Reaction Score
"Not a dime back."

For as much adulation as he's received, he really will never know how much he's meant to a million or so people in our corner of the world.

Don't know what what to say except thanks.

Now go get a hobby, Mr. Lion of Storrs.

Reaction Score

Jim Calhoun is woven into the fabric of Connecticut basketball and into the culture and hearts of the people of Connecticut(for a lot more reasons than just basketball). His record is there for anybody and everybody to see. It needs no explanation and, Lord knows, it needs no defense. Ground has been broken for the new practice facility; and, I'm sure, as he has said many times before, he will be taking an active role with the university for a long time. I would certainly interpret that to include having some type of impact on recruiting in support of whoever the next coach will be. I realize there are great candidates out there. However, imo, given his roots in this program, his NBA connections, his documented ability and success with recruiting, and, most importantly, his stellar quality as a human being, it would be foolhardy to look beyond Kevin Ollie.

We are losing a tremendous head coach but I am very happy that the university community as a whole will be gaining a great ambassador for the quality of a Connecticut education. My children are both UConn grads. My daughter Annie with a B.S. degree in wildlife biology and my son Justin with a B.A. degree in English and certification in creative writing. My daughter teaches physics and chemistry to 8th graders in Fairfield and my son has a great job in public relations for a very well known lobbying/public relations firm in Connecticut. I have no doubt that the quality of their education, which has been the foundation for everything they have done to date, is a direct result of the physical growth and program transformation at the university stimulated by UConn 2000. Jim Calhoun's contribution to all of that is there for everyone to see. A straight line can be drawn between the efforts of Jim and Geno and the motivation of the legislature(and John Rowland) to get UConn 2000 off the drawing board and into the lives of the students on that campus and the citizens of this state. Bravo Jim! I'm not going to miss you because I know you will probably retire but you ain't goin' anywhere! :)

GO HUSKIES!!!

Reaction Score
Words can't even scratch how much I am thankful that Jim Calhoun was here at UConn.

From the upsetting moments that had us pulling our hair out to the dedicated championships that were in the NCAAs and Big East, Calhoun showed UConn was not just a team, but a family that said we can do this.

Thanks for just everything Coach! Even if by bizarre chance he comes back to UConn and coaches again, all I can say is, Sign him up!

Reaction Score
Frankly, I'm Okay with this. We all knew this day was coming soon. I love the guy. He's synonomous with UConn Men's hoops putting it on the National Map himself.

It's as good a time as any to have a changing of the guard if the recruits we have keep their verbals and we pick up some upper tier top 100 recruits such as XRM. Now this might only be possible if KO takes over.

I don't know how realistic it is for the administration to begin a national search for a new head coach at this late stage. Go with Ollie as the interim and see how he does.

Getting back to JC, I'm going to miss so many things about him. Stomping on the sideline, the tough love he shows his players from the in-your-face to the strong embrace...oooh that rhymes.

I'm looking forward to seeing how they will honor him.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I can't be sad. I'm too proud of what he built and happy when I think back on the ride we've been blessed to be on. This is an Irish wake folks. No crying. Hoist your beer and salute the man with a smile.

hungry husky

Currently Hungry
Reaction Score
Want to thank Coach Calhoun, one of my heroes, for putting UConn on the map and instilling great pride into my state and my university. I think Ollie deserves 3 years to prove himself, and if not we will still have the brand name to attract a big-time coach. Can't wait to see where we go from here.

Reaction Score
"Not a dime back" will always make me proud as a Uconn fan. I'll miss the out of Calhoun. If KO aint named new head coach I'll be real pissed.

If i was a top HS recruit I'd love to play for KO and the reputation of Uconn but let's be real here, Uconn is getting stranded in the Big East right now.

PSA to Susan: Get it the together. I'm down to run in the ACC and show them boys what we can do. No postseason play this year so w/e but comon now we aint getting no respect if we stay in the big east.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom