Jim Calhoun to Retire according too channel 30 | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Jim Calhoun to Retire according too channel 30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Knew this day would have to come at some point. Hard pill to swallow.

Thank you Jim Calhoun. You're an absolute legend. You've (probably more than anyone else) helped build this university into a top institution athletically, and indirectly, academically.

You will be missed and everyone associated with UConn owes you a debt of gratitude.

Thank you, Coach.
nothing indirect about his influencing the academic upsurge. Without the success on the court legislators and academicians would never have thought about greatness in other areas.

Reaction Score
I came to Uconn in 84 to play football. I remember watching games in the field house. Watching guys like Earl, Cliff, Ray and Al play hard but lose games they shouldn't have because of Perno. Then came Coach and things change quickly. Toughness, that's what I'm goin;g to remember. Heart that's what he willed. Caring that's what the guys who played for him will never forget. Miss you already Coach!

Reaction Score
We all knew this day would eventually come. Now that it's here, it's still hard to believe.

Words can never express enough what JC's done for the university and for the state of Connecticut. He took UConn from a Big East cellar-dweller to elite status.

Ah, the memories - '88 NIT, Dream Season, Big East titles, 4 Final Fours and 3 National Championships. It's been an incredible and enjoyable ride that many of us could have never possibly imagined when he arrived 26 years ago.

Thank you Coach - for everything. All the best to you in your retirement.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I can think of few things that felt as good as the NIT win did at that time (many don't realize how spoiled we have been). I still vividly remember going crazy when we were announced as a 1 seed in '90 and how much it hurt when Laetner's shot went through in OT.

If 27 years ago someone said what we've witnessed under JC was possible he would have been locked up. Thank you coach for far more than I ever could have asked for!

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
im happy for calhoun for his years at uconn and what hes done, also for him retiring on his own terms(i hope) thanks for everything coach and i hope he gives emmert the finger or a bob knight send off...............kidding of course

Reaction Score
I look back almost 13 and a half years, and I see a 4-year-old boy scampering down the stairs at 11:00 at night to roars of cheers from a roomful of people.

"Duke's about to lose!!!" my father's friend shouted. "Connecticut is about to win the National Championship!", my father said in disbelief. Nobody could belief a school in the wilderness of Connecticut was about to knock off one of the greatest college basketball powerhouses of all-time.

Granted, most of the people there were simply rooting against Duke, but it didn't matter - I was hooked on UConn basketball. As vague as it may be, that was one of the fondest memories of my young childhood, and it wouldn't have happened without Jim Calhoun. Needless to say, the seasons, and hundreds of games that followed were even more joyful, full of drama, excitement, and spirit.

A few weeks ago, I toured the UConn campus and even gave an interview. "UConn's been my dream school from the get-go", I explained. "The man I have modeled myself after is the most well-known man at this University".

It's been a hell of a ride, JC - the least I can say is thank you.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
This guy provided us with so much comfort during the cold winters. We had JC, a slew of All Americans and they rolled through history. Because of him UConn rose to prominence and the Boneyard was born.

Now to tune in without him will be quite the adjustment.

Reaction Score
I hope he enjoys retirement. Even though there will be other people in the captain's chair there will be only one true Coach for UConn Men's basketball.

Reaction Score
I grew up listening to games in the early '60's on 'TIC on the transistor radio under my pillow so my mom wouldn't hear. Wes, the Poughkeepsie Popper, forever on my mind. We were usually a pretty good team and occasionally got an invite to the NCAA tournament.
I grew up dreaming of an appearance in the then, Top 20.
I grew up dreaming of UConn football ever going Division I.
These were crazy, almost hallucinatory dreams back then, my friends. We were nowhere close to that kind of reality.
I graduated from my beloved state university before the Big East was conceived. Yankee conference play was prideful and thrilling. Until you taste caviar, peanut butter is creamy and dreamy. Games were sold out and loud in that Field House of 4,400.
Dreams became reality and even after 3 national championships (O M G) and ringboxes more in women's hoops and a BCS bowl I still am at times incredulous at how far we have come as a university and fan base.

Jim Calhoun, you are the builder. The #1 reason for what we have become. In your life as well as your coaching, you fought, you got knocked down, you got up and fought back. You fought so hard you beat teams more athletic than yours. You fought so hard you beat diseases more powerful than you. And you did it again and again. You won. I hope you stay on to help us move forward. The fans, the university, the state, we've all won big.

Reaction Score
I can think of few things that felt as good as the NIT win did at that time (many don't realize how spoiled we have been). I still vividly remember going crazy when we were announced as a 1 seed in '90 and how much it hurt when Laetner's shot went through in OT.

If 27 years ago someone said what we've witnessed under JC was possible he would have been locked up. Thank you coach for far more than I ever could have asked for!
I remember running into Corny Thompson at a dry cleaners a few weeks after Uconn won the NIT. He was still playing in Europe at the time. Corny said watch what happens to the Uconn program now that Calhoun was the coach. He said something like "he is a little crazy but that is what the program needs."
I remember when beating Umass, URI , Holy Cross was a big deal. We didn't get the chance to play that powerhouse PC. Anybody who predicted that Uconn would win 3 NCCs would have been rushed to the Institute of Living for a long and serious treatment program.
As Corny said, JC is a little crazy but the building job he did at Uconn was truly incredible.Thank you coach.You changed everything.

patrick

Hurley4#6
Reaction Score
:(

Im SAD, MAD, PISSED, ANGRY, UPSET, SCARED
but what I feel the MOST is PROUD!!!
PROUD TO BE A HUSKY AND PART OF THE
JIM CALHOUN ERA!!!!!
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics