Jim Calhoun Tells Breakfast Crowd, 'You're Stuck With Me For Life' | The Boneyard

Jim Calhoun Tells Breakfast Crowd, 'You're Stuck With Me For Life'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Interesting article in the Courant today: LINK

3rd paragraph from the bottom:
"Calhoun will soon be visiting NBA camps to encourage former Huskies to make a contribution to the proposed basketball training center; the school still needs a few million dollars before it can begin contruction. Calhoun’s idea is to build an alumni locker room, where former players could have their names on lockers, or perhaps have rooms named for them."

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
2 things stood out to me. First, Ollie's comment...

“I’m going to coach like I’m going to be here 25 years,” said Ollie, who is signed only through this coming season, “because that’s how I feel. A lot of guys have long-term contracts, but as soon as another program calls they could be gone. I plan on staying here.”

I absolutely LOVE everything this guy says. I took that to mean no matter how much success he enjoys at UCONN, he won't be jumping ship to another program, no matter who comes calling or what they offer. I realize minds can be changed down the road, but he's a total class act and as much as I loved what JC did for the program, I really believe Ollie is the right guy and he will earn himself a long term contract before long.

Calhoun will soon be visiting NBA camps to encourage former Huskies to make a contribution to the proposed basketball training center; the school still needs a few million dollars before it can begin contruction. Calhoun’s idea is to build an alumni locker room, where former players could have their names on lockers, or perhaps have rooms named for them.

This is huge as well. When JC was still the HC, he made some comments about not asking the former players for contributions. A lot of fans (myself included) were disappointed. It appears he's either changed his mind or wasn't that serious about his earlier comments. Either way, I think his actually ASKING the former players for contributions will pretty much ensure it gets done. I love the idea of naming things after the big donors.

I was under the impression that "ground had been broken" on the new facility. Is this not the case? Are we still short several $millions before anything can be done? I thought we were on track to finish by the end of 2013?

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Ground hasn't been broken for construction as far as I know but Memorial has been completely torn down so now it's just a matter of getting the funds and starting the building process.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Good for KO. If he is successful, I don't know what other program would be more attractive than UConn. The only threat would be the NBA.

I like the fact that JC will be around the program as long as his presence isn't suffocating. He has to let KO be KO and begin to put his stamp on the team.

Reaction Score
To put the cart before the horse, ff he's successful in college, he's got a better chance of being in the HOF.

Win a bunch of games, win a title and make some final fours, and you make the Final Four in college.

That's difficult.

But if there's not too much of a drop-off, he'd make it. Much more difficult to do so from the NBA.

hungry husky

Currently Hungry
Reaction Score
How many coaches are from Crenshaw? How many coaches played in the NBA? How many coaches are as spiritual and motivating as Coach Ollie? The only missing part of the equation is his situational coaching. I think with Calhoun around and an experienced staff, he should succeed. Once this happens, UConn should be a recruiting powerhouse.

Also, don't underestimate the fact he played with LBJ and KD.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Calhoun will soon be visiting NBA camps to encourage former Huskies to make a contribution to the proposed basketball training center; the school still needs a few million dollars before it can begin contruction. Calhoun’s idea is to build an alumni locker room, where former players could have their names on lockers, or perhaps have rooms named for them.

This is huge as well. When JC was still the HC, he made some comments about not asking the former players for contributions. A lot of fans (myself included) were disappointed. It appears he's either changed his mind or wasn't that serious about his earlier comments. Either way, I think his actually ASKING the former players for contributions will pretty much ensure it gets done. I love the idea of naming things after the big donors.

I don't get it either. Is he going to change his mind again if KO doesn't get the full-time gig?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I don't get it either. Is he going to change his mind again if KO doesn't get the full-time gig?
i would hope not. but i would think (just a guess) that Manuel won't be doing the search till after this season. we need $10 mil more to break ground. unless JC sits and waits till next June to start, i'd hope we have the $$ much sooner...

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
i would hope not. but i would think (just a guess) that Manuel won't be doing the search till after this season. we need $10 mil more to break ground. unless JC sits and waits till next June to start, i'd hope we have the $$ much sooner...

I still don't know why he didn't start the day Hathaway was canned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom