Jim Calhoun on transfers | The Boneyard

Jim Calhoun on transfers

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
yeah disagree... two of our transfers have a 5th year and are continuing their education... another one the coach he committed to left and he didnt want to follow him... it's a huge decision for kids out of high school and maybe it turns out that it's a bad choice after a year it's understandable to leave...

Reaction Score
Sounds calmer as he ages. F bombs would have been flowing a decade ago if he thought a reporter was putting words in his mouth.

Reaction Score
Got scared, I though it read Calhoun transferring

Reactions: caw

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I don't agree with him either, for the most part. All bets should be off if the HC leaves or gets fired. He seems to want to make it tough on the kids to transfer and really, it almost should be the opposite. I get sitting out a year - have no issue with that, but if a kid's not happy (Samuel, for example), and knows he won't see the PT that he wants, why not transfer to a lesser school to have a better hoops experience?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Don't get his point here.

It's bad for the sport? Who makes the sport, though? The players.

If a kid is unhappy with a situation, be it the coach, playing time, the campus, whatever, who's to say they can't transfer. They are already sitting out a year.

The players well being, should come before the sports well being, considering they are the product.

Love Calhoun, but disagree here.

Reaction Score
If KO was in a P5 conference maybe he doesn't miss the recruits he did and there is no need for this, but reality was what made it necessary for us to be competitive this year. Calhoun in the BE didn't have to deal with that.

Reaction Score
dont agree with jc at all here.transfers have more to do with the program fit, and honestly the disloyality of said program coaches. or in millers case he had no other option.

Reaction Score
I agree with him from a purity of a sport standpoint. Yes, they graduate and have a year to use where they choose. But for a coach to have a player he expects to have for 4 years play 3 and then use the last one as basically a mercenary year for another program, that has to be frustrating. Don't counter this with Shonn Miller. I don't think that is the way college sports are supposed to be, but its the way they are currently, and its not necessarily something negative.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Love the man and usually agree with him, but he's wrong here imo.

Miller had no choice because of the Ivy League rules. Gibbs graduated, too. I struggle to see how one-and-dones are better, when attending college was merely a charade until they can jump to the NBA. Better for the coach? Yes. Better for the student-athlete? No.

I don't even see why Larrier is in the conversation. He has to sit a year, just like Calhoun says he wants. So did Purvis.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that his view is 100% slanted to sympathize with the the coach who lost a good player, but I don't like the servitude/property connotations that necessarily follow from his point of view. And it's really bad for the players.

He's delusional if he doesn't think he'd be the king of transfers under the same circumstances.

Reaction Score
I disagree with him here too. Not vehemently, but freedom of movement is a good thing for players, even if some of them do it for stupid reasons. Especially when coaches change as often as they do.

Reaction Score
Love almost everything JC has to say on every topic but disagree with him on this.

Which part don't you agree with? It could be that we're reading his comments differently. I didn't read his commentary as a black-and-white policy but instead a reflection on how transfers have impacted the sport. Personally, I don't blame kids who want to transfer - for whatever reason - in the least bit, but I think Calhoun is certainly right that roster turnover is one of the main contributing forces to hurting the sport at large right now.

Reaction Score
Which part don't you agree with? It could be that we're reading his comments differently. I didn't read his commentary as a black-and-white policy but instead a reflection on how transfers have impacted the sport. Personally, I don't blame kids who want to transfer - for whatever reason - in the least bit, but I think Calhoun is certainly right that roster turnover is one of the main contributing forces to hurting the sport at large right now.
I disagree with all of it. The sport is about the players and they should always be free to leave and go wherever they see the best situation for themselves. Coaches can leave whenever they want and can continue coaching right away with no penalty while the players are penalized by sitting out a year, that's not fair but I know that's just the way it is and it won't change. It's crazy to me that anyone thinks it's fair that a player has to stay at the college they chose for all four years if the players feels it's a bad situation, that's just punitive to me. Calhiun doesn't always say things eloquently and I'm thinking some of this is lost in translation. From reading those comments it looks like Calhoun is looking at this all from the coaches perspective and is not taking into account the feelings of the players and that goes against everything Calhoun believes in, the guy considers his players a part of the family.

Reaction Score
This is not a smart take. He doesn't touch on the coaches moving at will, about the complete control schools have in 99% of situations, and the benefit of rewarding kids who did things the right way and graduated in 4 years.

Sorry Calhoun, you are wayyyyy on the wrong side of this issue.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
The god. I bow to this man.

Reaction Score
A lot more players transferred out of UConn during the Calhoun era than transferred in. The only ones I can think of that came in are Ed Nelson, Selvie, and Mike Hayes. A lot of people used to say Calhoun forced the players out that he didnt want anymore like the Darius Smith, Jamal Trice, Rob Garrison type players. From reading his comments here, im not so sure that is the case.

Reaction Score
I disagree with all of it. The sport is about the players and they should always be free to leave and go wherever they see the best situation for themselves. Coaches can leave whenever they want and can continue coaching right away with no penalty while the players are penalized by sitting out a year, that's not fair but I know that's just the way it is and it won't change. It's crazy to me that anyone thinks it's fair that a player has to stay at the college they chose for all four years if the players feels it's a bad situation, that's just punitive to me. Calhiun doesn't always say things eloquently and I'm thinking some of this is lost in translation. From reading those comments it looks like Calhoun is looking at this all from the coaches perspective and is not taking into account the feelings of the players and that goes against everything Calhoun believes in, the guy considers his players a part of the family.

But did he ever explicitly state in the article that he's against the rule, or does he simply not believe in the concept? I think there is room for him to condone its application while also strongly discouraging it as a general trend. I'm sure he wishes, as all coaches do, that rather than players grading the terrain after every season and searching for a new home, that they put in the necessary work to maximize their potential at their original school. Maybe you feel it is implied in the article that Calhoun is staunchly anti-transfer in every respect, but I didn't get that vibe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom