Jim Calhoun memorabilia- Was I duped? | The Boneyard

Jim Calhoun memorabilia- Was I duped?

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
I need the yard's help here. I've had both of these "authentic" Jim Calhoun signature's for a while.

The signed ball was a Christmas gift from my Brother and his family back when JC retired in 2012 and comes with all of the proper paperwork.

The piece of the 2004 NC floor I won at a silent auction at a charity golf event back around 2007-08. I was crispy toasty and bidding on everything and it came with a handshake and a promise.

Not sure why tonight's mix of Tito's and Sour Diesel made me look at the two together but I'm pretty sure that some dude who goes by "Joe Cak" is smiling right now with $250 of my money.

thumbnail (1).jpg

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Update! This is on the back. Anyone know Joe Markus?

thumbnail (2).jpg

Reaction Score
Ive had Jim Calhoun sign game programs, pictures, etc, over the years, and to be honest with you, both the ball and the hard wood look like they are legit. Im always a little skeptical though when it comes to autographed memorabilia. The only signed memorabilia that I trust is the stuff that I have the person sign myself. With that said, I just find it hard to believe that signature experts, like they guy on Pawn Stars for example, can 100% guarantee that an autograph is a fake. I mean, nobody signs their name the exact same way every single time. Also, if there is a discrepancy, how do you know the person wasn't distracted?, or maybe even had a few drinks or something before they signed the items, and that's why the signature is a little off.

Reaction Score
I have years of experience wasted in sports memorabilia, unfortunately. The signature on the 2004 NC floor is definitely a fake. The one on the ball does look legit. That would need to be verified.

Joe Markus a dirtbag who sold his integrity for pay.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Ive had Jim Calhoun sign game programs, pictures, etc, over the years, and to be honest with you, both the ball and the hard wood look like they are legit. Im always a little skeptical though when it comes to autographed memorabilia. The only signed memorabilia that I trust is the stuff that I have the person sign myself. With that said, I just find it hard to believe that signature experts, like they guy on Pawn Stars for example, can 100% guarantee that an autograph is a fake. I mean, nobody signs their name the exact same way every single time. Also, if there is a discrepancy, how do you know the person wasn't distracted?, or maybe even had a few drinks or something before they signed the items, and that's why the signature is a little off.

The ball is legit and verified. Not worth a lot on the open market but it's priceless to me.

thumbnail (3).jpg

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Tito’s and sour diesel is a great combo. What were we talking about again?

PS: Joe Cak was my buddy’s alias in college.

By any chance did your buddy graduate from American International College back in 68', after stints as a granite cutter, headstone engraver, scrapyard worker, shampoo factory worker, and gravedigger? Did he talk about wanting rings?

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
The ball is legit and verified. Not worth a lot on the open market but it's priceless to me.

View attachment 59249
I have purchased a good amount of memorabilia over the years and Steiner, now Fanatics, is really one of the only places I trust unfortunately. Anything with a COA that looks like it was/can be printed off of a home printer and signed is suspect IMO.

That said I have a spot in my man cave for a signed Joe Cak ball next to my signed Betty Humpter soccer ball if you're ever looking to sell.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Those 2 signatures are nothing alike. What am I missing?

Reaction Score
I am a collector. Have been for over 20 years. The ball looks legit. Those random certificates aren't even worth the paper they are printed on. Can you be 100% sure that anything you get that wasn't procured in person is legit? Nope. If you know what you are doing though, you can mitigate the risk rather significantly.

Reaction Score
Those 2 signatures are nothing alike. What am I missing?
The one on the right is probably a fake. With that said, I have gotten signatures from the same people in person on multiple occassions and they don't always look the same. There are several factors/reasons for that. I for one am one of those people whose signature looks a little different every time I sign something.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
I couldn’t sign my name even remotely close to the same way two times in a row nevertheless 8 years apart - so there’s that. I imagine Jim is a messy signature kind of guy but there’s probably plenty of examples out there to compare to.

That said, the last name doesn’t bother me as much as how different the J is between the two. If I’m consistent with anything in my signature it’s the first letter.

Reaction Score
When I was a kid I really wanted autographs. It has been fun to have UConn players sign things for my kids, but otherwise I don't really see the point of autographed memorabilia.
Paradoxically, I do have one autographed item that I care deeply about and treasure.

ON the cert of authenticity:
1. It says "This certificate is issued to provide evidence of the authenticity of the item listed below." There is no item listed below
2. Who is EJ Autographs (in addition to who is Joe Markus)
3. I Joe Marckus hereby guarantee that the autopraph(s) written below is 100% authentic." That kind of means nothing, as it just says Autopraphed by, not what is autographed by, where when etc..

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
3. I Joe Marckus hereby guarantee that the autopraph(s) written below is 100% authentic." That kind of means nothing, as it just says Autopraphed by, not what is autographed by, where when etc..

Oh, that's a really good point. His own signature is the one he's verifying, not JC's. I'm sure that would be his argument if he got sued.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
When I was a kid I really wanted autographs. It has been fun to have UConn players sign things for my kids, but otherwise I don't really see the point of autographed memorabilia.
Paradoxically, I do have one autographed item that I care deeply about and treasure.

ON the cert of authenticity:
1. It says "This certificate is issued to provide evidence of the authenticity of the item listed below." There is no item listed below
2. Who is EJ Autographs (in addition to who is Joe Markus)
Decor for a gameroom in my home is why I collect. Framed jersey on the wall looks nice. Some items are actually worth a lot more now than when I acquired them so it can also be a pretty decent investment as well. It's a big business.

Reaction Score
I have had multiple in person encounters with Coach and have many items personally signed by him as well as other UCONN athletes and coaching staff over the years. While typically he signs his first name with a letter that looks either like an F or number 7 I have had other examples where his signature looks completely different and shows loops in the J and very abbreviated last name. Signatures can vary significantly over time but there are usually some consistencies in them. For instance Rays signature at the present looks nothing like his signatures I have from his college years. If you find legitimate variance in samples of the signature you can feel reassured but if their are none that can raise a red flag. That being said it is very possible that both samples are legit. See my pictures below.

Attachments

• 6B3E5133-73EB-4983-901C-93CB6D1E358C.jpeg
    6B3E5133-73EB-4983-901C-93CB6D1E358C.jpeg
    90.3 KB · Views: 128
  • 33C5684B-A930-4C29-8909-AF3E26D809B3.jpeg
    33C5684B-A930-4C29-8909-AF3E26D809B3.jpeg
    119.6 KB · Views: 125

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics