Jim Calhoun: "Hit him you !" | The Boneyard

Jim Calhoun: "Hit him you !"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Any of you remember this?

From the 2012 Big East Tournament when UConn was playing DePaul. Boatright doesn't pass the ball to Lamb coming off a screen set by Drummond, and Calhoun loses it.

I know this is some standard stuff by Calhoun, but I don't remember ever being able to hear it on the TV broadcast.

Reaction Score
Shaquille-ONeal-Cant-Stop-Laughing-As-He-Watches-Funny-Online-Videos.gif

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score
He had a great one in one game I remember. Can't recall which player it was but during a timeout as everyone came to the sideline you could hear Calhoun clear as day scream at one guy, "shoot that duck*ing thing!"

Reaction Score
I actually do remember watching the replay on ESPN3 later that day and being able to hear him, lol. Really my last great memory of Calhoun.

Edit: my favorite part of the video is after the dead ball when Calhoun ventures three feet onto the court to pull Boat back to the sideline.

Reaction Score
Edit: my favorite part of the video is after the dead ball when Calhoun ventures three feet onto the court to pull Boat back to the sideline.
Yeah, I originally cut it right after Calhoun yells at Boat, but then saw him walk out and grab him. I had to include that.

Reaction Score
looked off giff and lamb lmao calhoun was not having it.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
Damn you Tom! I miss that guy!

He screamed it while sittin', likee an old man watching TV. Then...BOOM!

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I was sitting a few rows behind the bench 5 or 6 years ago. One game, 15 seconds in, we miss the 1st of 2 free throws. He turns around and screams at everyone on the bench "can't anybody make a free throw"

Reaction Score
Back in late 80s to 1990 just before Gampel opened, they used to practice sometimes in the field house. They would pull the netting around the court for "privacy" but we would go up to the second level of the bleachers and watch practice. JC would make sailors blush with some of the stuff he would yell. He REALLY used to get on Dan Cyrulik. Good times.

Reaction Score
He had a great one in one game I remember. Can't recall which player it was but during a timeout as everyone came to the sideline you could hear Calhoun clear as day scream at one guy, "shoot that duck*ing thing!"

This was 100% Rudy Gay during his Freshman year. I was there during the game.

Reaction Score
I'm actually not sure what is going on with that play. Without JC's voice indicating otherwise, I'd bet that Lamb made the wrong cut and that the play was meant for AO.

If Boat was supposed to hit Lamb on the curl, there are two major problems: 1) AO is more worried about getting position on the right side of the paint than in facilitating Lamb's cut. AO basically pushes his man up high, right into the path Lamb would be taking, instead of either trying to seal him back into the paint (for a driving lane) or sealing him low along the baseline (to give Lamb a floater). AO just clogs everything up. 2) Giffey stays on the near side instead of cutting baseline to vacate that half of the floor. As a result, Lamb would be curling into a traffic jam with two help defenders nearby (AO's and Giff's - plus his own guy trailing) and no spacing. It's a dead end.

One sign something was botched: when Lamb doesn't get the ball, he doesn't continue in his path - he basically bumps into AO and retreats back to the spot from which he came. That's not the way plays usually work - it isn't a very economical use of motion to cut and retreat. If Giffey made a baseline cut - that would allow Lamb, if he didn't get the ball, to continue on his curl to the near side corner, and the floor would still be balanced for an entry pass to AO, or for the next phase of the offense.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
@Gurleyman the derision was for boatright, he missed two wide open shooters coming off screens. giffey faded and was open for a good passer, lamb was clearly wide open cutting for his signature floater in the lane. if the lane was crowded, AO could have cleared out or screen for giffey.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Any of you remember this?

From the 2012 Big East Tournament when UConn was playing DePaul. Boatright doesn't pass the ball to Lamb coming off a screen set by Drummond, and Calhoun loses it.

I know this is some standard stuff by Calhoun, but I don't remember ever being able to hear it on the TV broadcast.

It's posts like these that make me get down on my knees and thank the Boneyard Gods for Yarders like you and Medic.

You never cease to amaze. Not sure how you two do it.

Reaction Score
Does a leopard regret it's spots?
Everyone has their faults--I think the over-use of swearing is not something anyone would look back on and be proud of. I'm sure he knows a lot of kids heard those words.

Reaction Score
The point ...

We were up 13 to DePaul with no game in the balance. And he's shouting passion bullits at a FR. That's Calhoun all over. You can't take that ... You'd not want the explanation that he was there to make you better.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Calhoun should not (and probably does not) regret swearing at players one bit. He was pretty bad at times, but each one will tell them that he made them into men. Those words brought us championships.

Now, words uttered to the media? That's another thread for another day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom