Jim Calhoun and Bob Diaco Philosophy | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Jim Calhoun and Bob Diaco Philosophy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Judging this guy after only 4 games is like you or I being judged after a week on the new job. It's not fair to him.

Reaction Score
Wait, what?

You continue to attack me as poster and not the content of my argument. I just have no interest. If you want to disagree with my criticisms that's fair. It's obvious we're not the kind of guys who would have a beer together. I don't care. If you'd like to defend the decisions I've criticized, then we can have a legitimate argument. Otherwise this is dull.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
You continue to attack me as poster and not the content of my argument. I just have no interest. If you want to disagree with my criticisms that's fair. It's obvious we're not the kind of guys who would have a beer together. I don't care. If you'd like to defend the decisions I've criticized, then we can have a legitimate argument. Otherwise this is dull.
Fine by me. It's no fun to drink beer with someone with zero sense of humor.

Reaction Score
How have some forgot about last season is beyond me. FHCPP left this place a mess and fixing it will not happen overnight. Most of you complaining had not issue giving FHCPP time and yet you can't give him the same opportunity

Bill you know I love ya but this is nuts. Nobody has forgotten the last 3 years. I was predicting 4 or 5 wins this year while everyone else was making plans for a bowl game. We're not complaining about the results. We're questioning the decisions he's making during games and his approach to this whole season. It's legitimate criticism that Diaco can handle given his $2 million per year salary.

Reaction Score
How have some forgot about last season is beyond me. FHCPP left this place a mess and fixing it will not happen overnight. Most of you complaining had not issue giving FHCPP time and yet you can't give him the same opportunity
There were about three posters that I remember wanted to give P "more time". Most of us were in a conundrum, of course we wanted to see UConn make a bowl, but if they did it bought P more time which we didn't want.

Reaction Score
Judging this guy after only 4 games is like you or I being judged after a week on the new job. It's not fair to him.
Judging him and criticizing some of his decisions to date are not the same thing. When I think judging I think "this guy sucks, he is never going to win here". What we have here is more like "shut down the passing game till garbage time, really Bob?"

Reaction Score
No, what we have here is "he quit".
Maybe he did, for that one game, for reasons he is totally comfortable with, you know the whole lose the battle/win the war thing. Fans are never going to be accepting of something like that when you are playing a team as horrible as USF. Their defense had been a sieve basically up to that point and we went into a shell, in what on paper looked like one of our most winnable games. If some people call it quitting I'm not going to be upset, he is going to have more than enough time coaching here to atone for the one time he "quit".

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Judging him and criticizing some of his decisions to date are not the same thing..."

I disagree, it seems to be going part and parcel here. The guy has a plan and a vision and is making his decisions based on the overall plan. At this point in time, I don't think it's fair to go off on a particular decision in a vacuum, it should be considered as part of the overall plan. For instance, I hated the two QB approach. But I give him the benefit of the doubt because he did it for a reason, even if the reason isn't readily apparent to me. I'm going wait until the end of the season before I make a determination. That's all I and the non-bashers (I believe) are saying. He's not going anywhere, why shouldn't he get the benefit of the doubt? And if his plan doesn't produce, I get the feeling he will learn and adjust. I have to admit I'm surprised by the depth, breath and sheer volume of the criticism here. He isn't going to turn this thing around with an off-the-shelf approach. But this is an example of why weak coaches go by the book all the time. If you dare to try something different and don't succeed, you get both barrells right away. I hope BD sticks to his guns, it's what's best for the program.

Reaction Score
@Waquoit, if that were the case there would be nothing discuss or banter about. Ever. Criticism of his decisions on the boneyard is neither going to affect his coaching decisions or his job security. What you're saying sounds a lot to me like what I talked about before if the boneyard likes the coach, any criticism of him is off limits. Didn't understand it when Edsall was here, don't understand it now.

Reaction Score
@Waquoit, It's like Nick Saban against Auburn last year, he challenged that out of bounds play that put one second back on the clock so that his FG kicker could attempt a kick he had no shot in hell of ever making. We all know how that turned out, do you think because of his past success Bama fans didn't have "the right" to second guess that boneheaded move?

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Bob Diaco = Jim Calhoun. Got it.

Wow. you are stupid. The article was about following the same process, not them being the same person.

Really, are you that dumb?

sdhusky

Reaction Score
I've made my position on Diaco pretty clear and have purposely stopped harping about it.

But the notion that people can't criticize his performance in his first four games is ridiculous.

Right. And the thought that we can't criticize the emotional logic of the critics is ridiculous too.

Reaction Score
Right. And the thought that we can't criticize the emotional logic of the critics is ridiculous too.

No, that's called debate. We're not getting debate. We're getting things like, "it's too early to tell whether he will be a good coach long term".

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
?

Too many people think that the hole he inherited should be fixed over night.
Wasn't this the exact argument for keeping FUCHCPP for three years? Look Diaco isn't PP, I know that and I still support him but losing winnable games, blaming the players and promising that it is all part of the plan is painfully familiar. It worries me.

sdhusky

Reaction Score
No, that's called debate. We're not getting debate. We're getting things like, "it's too early to tell whether he will be a good coach long term".

Right. Facts on one side and emotional foot stomping on the other side.

When you lose, every decision looks bad.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Wow. you are stupid. The article was about following the same process, not them being the same person.

Really, are you that dumb?

Trying to drop the halo of one of the greatest coaches in college basketball history over a HC that is struggling 4 games into his career is a little puzzling.

I am with Serrano in that Diaco may turn out great, but he is stumbling a bit and i was hoping for a shorter learning curve. We are where we are, so let's hope for the best. I would like to start seeing some wins over lousy teams soon. Temple is probably a bridge too far, but SMU and Tulane are on the schedule, and both are terrible.

sdhusky

Reaction Score
Trying to drop the halo of one of the greatest coaches in college basketball history over a HC that is struggling 4 games into his career is a little puzzling.

I am with Serrano in that Diaco may turn out great, but he is stumbling a bit and i was hoping for a shorter learning curve. We are where we are, so let's hope for the best. I would like to start seeing some wins over lousy teams soon. Temple is probably a bridge too far, but SMU and Tulane are on the schedule, and both are terrible.

You really are stupid

If I said Calhoun drives a BMW and Diaco drives a BMW, only a moron (or it this case, you) would think I am saying they are the same level coach.

You really are getting tripped by the difference between process and comparing people.

sdhusky

Reaction Score
I am with Serrano in that Diaco may turn out great, but he is stumbling a bit and i was hoping for a shorter learning curve. .

This is the ultimate nelsomuntz post - full of weasel words. A strong statement with all kinds of outs.

Do you think Dicao will ever win 10+ games at UCONN? Do you think he will be fired in 4?

Make a definitive statement for once.

Reaction Score
This is the ultimate nelsomuntz post - full of weasel words. A strong statement with all kinds of outs.

Do you think Dicao will ever win 10+ games at UCONN? Do you think he will be fired in 4?

Make a definitive statement for once.

Nobody knows the answer to any those questions. Why do you ask questions like that? Anyone who answers that he will turn out to be great does so on blind faith. Anyone who answers he will be fired in 4 is coming to a premature judgement.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
@Waquoit, if that were the case there would be nothing discuss or banter about. Ever. Criticism of his decisions on the boneyard is neither going to affect his coaching decisions or his job security. What you're saying sounds a lot to me like what I talked about before if the boneyard likes the coach, any criticism of him is off limits. Didn't understand it when Edsall was here, don't understand it now.

I know what you're saying, noe. It's not my intent to quash dissent, that's what makes a for a good board. I guess I'm efforting to get some of bashers to cut our new coach a little slack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom