Jersey Guy Pushing Our Buttons | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Jersey Guy Pushing Our Buttons

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
He kinda was. He took a team from D2 to league champs in 3 years and a d1 NCAA bid. And as for Providence who is a top 25 team and who is a couple of losses from the nit? It is really a sad thing how far UConns stock has fallen in such a short time and most of you know it. Just don't want to admit it.

In Calhoun's fourth year as a head coach, Northeastern went 12-13, their worst record under Calhoun to that point.

Reaction Score
He's not talking about the last 2 decades. He's talking about 2016 and beyond. Some of you are pretty clueless if you don't see how far we've fallen in public perception. Losing Calhoun and ending up in the American has been a huge setback whether you want to admit it or not.

The setback was the penalties for the APR ban that put limitations on scholarships and the postseason ban. Since those penalties have passed Ollie and the staff have been recruiting at an elite level.

Next year is when we will get to see the team as Ollie has wanted to build it. I have complete faith UConn will be a perennial top 25 team for the foreseeable future with the high level recruiting and building the roster to fit the style of play that Ollie wants.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
The setback was the penalties for the APR ban that put limitations on scholarships and the postseason ban. Since those penalties have passed Ollie and the staff have been recruiting at an elite level.

Next year is when we will get to see the team as Ollie has wanted to build it. I have complete faith UConn will be a perennial top 25 team for the foreseeable future with the high level recruiting and building the roster to fit the style of play that Ollie wants.

And that's the key, great March runs aside, when was the last time we were a top 25 program over a whole season? Lately, we've been lucky to sniff top 25 and I think there's a some cache lost because of it. We should be dominating a weak league like the AAC. There's reasons for it, we all know them and I believe Ollie is getting us back but we need to start getting in everyone's face again, all season, not just March.

Reaction Score
A bit if whistling past the graveyard going on here I think. I get exactly what he is talking about. Not so long ago UConn was a regular among the top10 in basketball and the Syracuses and BCs of the world were legitimately worried that we would become the dominant football program in the northeast too. And Calhoun was, well Calhoun. Now we're excited about just making the Tournament and Ollie might be good or he might be bad or even an indifferent coach but nobody can say he is another Jim Calhoun. In basketball we aren't even Gonzaga or Providence these days.
I don't really get the KO bashing, he is 3 1/2 years in & has a championship. He is still working with a combination of JC recruits, transfers & his recruits. The program was severely affected by CR & 2+ years of penalties. It is also ludicrous to compare UConn to Providence & Gonzaga...2 schools that have 1 Final 4 appearance between them I believe. Programs go through cycles...UNC, KY, UCLA certainly have had some lean years in recent memory. The next 2 recruiting classes are shaping up to be something special, no reason to think that won't continue. I think KO is the right man for the job but we'll see 2 years from now how things look...until then yes I am happy just making tourney.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
He kinda was. He took a team from D2 to league champs in 3 years and a d1 NCAA bid. And as for Providence who is a top 25 team and who is a couple of losses from the nit? It is really a sad thing how far UConns stock has fallen in such a short time and most of you know it. Just don't want to admit it.
Providence is both of those things, in fact

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
External variables are as much at fault as anything to do with the program. Next season will have a lot to say where we really are post JC/Big East.

Every program has dipped after major program upheaval. Trick is how quickly do you rebound. Missing the NCAA last year was a kick in the nuts as it would be this year.

Next year not making a deep run would be a disaster. This year we need to win a game.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
And that's the key, great March runs aside, when was the last time we were a top 25 program over a whole season? Lately, we've been lucky to sniff top 25 and I think there's a some cache lost because of it. We should be dominating a weak league like the AAC. There's reasons for it, we all know them and I believe Ollie is getting us back but we need to start getting in everyone's face again, all season, not just March.

You and @freescooter are spot on. Does anyone else not notice it? Nobody is saying "oh crap we have to play UConn" anymore. They walk into Gampel or XL and think they can win....hell, some of them even do it. There is no buzz around us, we aren't ranked or really even talked about. I want every team to live in mortal terror of playing the Huskies. To know that even if they win, it meant that they played an A+ game and came away physically and mentally drained.

Instead I see UConn up by 12 and giving a game away, looking like a mediocre Jr. High team. Temple had no fear. Tulsa had no fear when they came back from down 20. I want any team down 10 to UConn in the second half to know that the game is over. That we will be relentless to the finish.

Reaction Score
You and @freescooter are spot on. Does anyone else not notice it? Nobody is saying "oh crap we have to play UConn" anymore. They walk into Gampel or XL and think they can win....hell, some of them even do it. There is no buzz around us, we aren't ranked or really even talked about. I want every team to live in mortal terror of playing the Huskies. To know that even if they win, it meant that they played an A+ game and came away physically and mentally drained.

Instead I see UConn up by 12 and giving a game away, looking like a mediocre Jr. High team. Temple had no fear. Tulsa had no fear when they came back from down 20. I want any team down 10 to UConn in the second half to know that the game is over. That we will be relentless to the finish.

Then go watch games that have already happened. This fantasy world never existed.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Then why bother posting this? Basically everything bad that could have happened to a top-flight college basketball team happened to us in the last six-seven years. And we're coming out of it with a great young coach and killer recruiting. And, by the way, we have players on our current roster with national championship rings.

Reaction Score

That is it exactly!

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Then why bother posting this? Basically everything bad that could have happened to a top-flight college basketball team happened to us in the last six-seven years. And we're coming out of it with a great young coach and killer recruiting. And, by the way, we have players on our current roster with national championship rings.

Because others were discussing it? I'm sorry, should I check with you before I post anything?

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Because others were discussing it? I'm sorry, should I check with you before I post anything?
I wasn't trying to be argumentative. My point is that everyone knows what's been thrown at us and that it's had a real impact, yet we still have people saying things like, "How come UConn has had some down years lately?" The reason is because of all the stuff everyone knows.

Reaction Score

I agree with this but when you think of our best teams, there was always a player on the floor that would take others to task for being lazy or selfish. Kevin Ollie, Ricky Moore, Khalid, Kemba, Bazz, Taliek. Maybe its revisionist history on my part but those guys were bulldogs who held others accountable even Boat was like that. On this team, I see Jalen Adams eventually being that guy, but none of the core players seem to have that "we need a stop right now, mothereffers" mentality. Probably just in my head though.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
I wasn't trying to be argumentative. My point is that everyone knows what's been thrown at us and that it's had a real impact, yet we still have people saying things like, "How come UConn has had some down years lately?" The reason is because of all the stuff everyone knows.

I get it. I was just backing freescooter up a bit. The fact is we have dipped, for good reasons, but we've dipped. That's all I was trying to say.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I agree with this but when you think of our best teams, there was always a player on the floor that would take others to task for being lazy or selfish. Kevin Ollie, Ricky Moore, Khalid, Kemba, Bazz, Taliek. Maybe its revisionist history on my part but those guys were bulldogs who held others accountable even Boat was like that. On this team, I see Jalen Adams eventually being that guy, but none of the core players seem to have that "we need a stop right now, mothereffers" mentality. Probably just in my head though.

I don't think it is in your head. It was passed like a baton from team to team. Calhoun insisted on it. Okafor was one of those guys too, it wasn't just guards. Not every team had what it takes...we had some lean talent years here and there, mostly due to some early departures and recruiting misses. I don't ever remember having a team with the talent this one has, that underperformed as these guys have this season. Given the overall weakness in college basketball this season, this team really should have been a wire to wire Top 25 team without much difficulty.

Here is what I recall...UConn teams usually imposed their will on the opponent. We forced the action, we set the pace, we frustrated them. This team almost never does that. It plays the game the other team wants to play, and tries to be better than them at it. The Temple games were textbook examples. The only time all year I really felt like I was watching old time UConn basketball was the second half @Memphis. We forced the pace, were relentless on offense and defense and they had to play our style.

Reaction Score
Good discussion. I have been loathe to be too critical of the men (at least in public), because at the end of the day, they are student athletes, not professionals.

I played a sport in college, and my son is currently a D-1 athlete.

The pressures these guys have to deal with, both on the court/field and off, cannot be put into words. Everyone thinks they have a good idea of what's required/expected - I assure you, you do not. Things have changed markedly since my time in school and my son's.

Having said that, the players on this team do not seem to possess the historical "toughness" gene brought to UConn by Jim Calhoun. That's not to say that they are soft per se, or give up, but I think they do get flustered at key moments.

They are all supremely talented athletes, and by all accounts they are good kids. I think both of those things are important and not to be discounted. However, sometimes you have to be an S.O.B. and take over a game with your talent instead of looking to pass to a less talented teammate.

I don't believe mental toughness is a trait that can be learned, or corrected. At this point, it is what it is. I think the best we can hope for is that they learn how to better respond to an opposing team's run before they lose a lead, because by then it's too late. I do like the consistency of the defense, and I think that some of the teams that made runs on us made some tough shots along the way.

MASSconn

Pretentious CR Critic
Reaction Score
Sorry to many of you delusional fans. This article is partially true, about our Men's team.

Yes, we won two titles going on incredible runs, but UCONN has not been a feared powerhouse since our team in 09. The power Calhoun teams had a swagger that the Ollie teams absolutely do not have. Is it cause we play in -*ng American? It definitely has an impact. But I truly feel that something is missing.

Watching Duke UNC right now is painful, for this exact reason. Prime time basketball between two ranked teams. I terribly miss beating on Cuse, Pitt, etc. They feared us. Right now it doesn't feel like it.

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Watching Duke UNC right now is painful, for this exact reason. Prime time basketball between two ranked teams. I terribly miss beating on Cuse, Pitt, etc. They feared us. Right now it doesn't feel like it.

Yeah? Well feel this!

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
I don't think it is in your head. It was passed like a baton from team to team. Calhoun insisted on it. Okafor was one of those guys too, it wasn't just guards. Not every team had what it takes...we had some lean talent years here and there, mostly due to some early departures and recruiting misses. I don't ever remember having a team with the talent this one has, that underperformed as these guys have this season. Given the overall weakness in college basketball this season, this team really should have been a wire to wire Top 25 team without much difficulty.

Here is what I recall...UConn teams usually imposed their will on the opponent. We forced the action, we set the pace, we frustrated them. This team almost never does that. It plays the game the other team wants to play, and tries to be better than them at it. The Temple games were textbook examples. The only time all year I really felt like I was watching old time UConn basketball was the second half @Memphis. We forced the pace, were relentless on offense and defense and they had to play our style.
What's frustrating to me is the belief among certain fans that talent is all it takes to be dominant.

The 2015-16 Huskies have the talent to be dominant, but the core of that talent has only been playing together for what, six months?

Our first championship team had four starters that had been playing together for three years.

Our second championship had three starters who played together for three years, and a bench loaded with experience.

Similar depth of combined experience was present in 2006 and 2009 and 2014.

Even though we have experience, it's not experience that was acquired together, as a group, which makes all the difference.

And before you mention Kemba, yes, that team was the exception, but then again, Kemba was both a transcendent talent and transcendent leader. Even with him and a deep and talented freshman class, that team struggled mightily during the regular season.

I feared this team would have more than its share of W.T.F. losses before the season, because even with talent, the first run through with new guys never goes smoothly. My fears have come true, but there's reason for hope. Each W.T.F. loss brings them closer to realizing the goal. Just hope they get there before running out of chances.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Sorry to many of you delusional fans. This article is partially true, about our Men's team.

Yes, we won two titles going on incredible runs, but UCONN has not been a feared powerhouse since our team in 09.
What? I'm sorry I couldn't hear you over the sound of the 2011 and 2014 teams laughing at you.

th

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score

Yes, we won two titles going on incredible runs, but UCONN has not been a feared powerhouse since our team in 09. The power Calhoun teams had a swagger that the Ollie teams absolutely do not have. Is it cause we play in -*ng American? It definitely has an impact. But I truly feel that something is missing.

A "yes, but" about winning national championships. A classic of the genre. The basic point being that winning national championships is not good enough for you. Yes, we won, but we weren't "feared." Something is "missing."
And you call us delusional.

Reaction Score
What I remember about 2014 was UConn getting beaten 3 times during the season by Louisville....Oh actually, I barely remember that and those UL loses now seem irrelevant. Instead I just remember all the UConn player's celebrating and confetti falling when UConn won it all in San Antonio. Come to think of it, I hope UConn invited Pitino to the Rose Garden ceremony with President Obama just so he could witness how much UL's regular season wins mattered.

The dream is to be like the 2004 UConn team who was the best and most dominate team from start to finish. But no team can have that every year and history favors the final winner. Villanova has been arguably the most winning team in America the past 5 regular seasons....right up until the tournament. I bet Villanova would trade its regular season success for our post season success in a NY minute. This season may not be UConn's best ever but if they turn it on the tournament, it can all change.

"Fear" is a subjective emotion. Championships speak for themselves. And no program has won more championships in BB than UConn in the last 20 years. If teams are not scared of UConn in the regular season they will be come tournament time. No program wants to face UConn in the NCAA tournament and that includes this year.

What is the difference between the 2004 and 2014 UConn teams? Nothing, they are both National Champions...

Reaction Score
It's abundantly clear that being feared in the regular season is better than winning national championships.

MASSconn

Pretentious CR Critic
Reaction Score
A "yes, but" about winning national championships. A classic of the genre. The basic point being that winning national championships is not good enough for you. Yes, we won, but we weren't "feared." Something is "missing."
And you call us delusional.

Love these clown responses. I was in the front row in Dallas, I saw 2 rings in 4 years of college. I loved every second of it. It's not my point.

We still have not been a consistent Top 25 team since '09. Closest was '11, in which our late season Big East run put us to a 3 seed and a lot of pundits picked us to make a run. It's frustrating, and there's no way can disagree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom