Jersey Guy Pushing Our Buttons | The Boneyard

Jersey Guy Pushing Our Buttons

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UConn Needs to Get its Swagger Back
by Mark Blaudshaun • February 12, 2016

Sometime in the next few days, UConn President Susan Herbst will get a list of potential new athletic directors from the Parker Executive Search firm.

The list will be filled with qualified people, most likely including athletic director from Mid-American schools such as Bowling Green’s Chris Kingston or Eastern Michigan’s Heather Lyke or Kent State’s Joel Nielson. There could be a name like VCU’s Ed McLaughlin, who has New England routes (BC, Natick) and was in the mix for previous openings at BC and UMass. There might be someone like Kansas Deputy AD Sean Lester, who also has UConn ties or Nevada’s Doug Knuth, who also has a UConn pedigree or Colorado State’s Joe Parker.
Maybe Northern Illinois, another MAC school, will have another potential landing spot for AD Sean Frazier.

None of them will raise the excitement level among UConn backers, who are fretting over an athletic program that is missing what made UConn so special for so many years: a sense of Swagger.

Much has been made–too much perhaps in terms of ability to make it happen–over UConn’s not-so subtle flirtation of getting into a Power 5 conference (Big 12).

The next UConn AD will play a key role in that quest, but only in terms of making it work if it does happen.
What is more essential is for UConn to regain the sense of entitlement which was felt during the tenure of former UConn men’s coach Jim Calhoun.

When UConn went anywhere it represented the state of Connecticut. It was UCONN. Adding to the mystique was the affiliation with the Big East. UConn-Georgetown UConn-Syracuse, UConn-Villanova, UConn-Providence, UConn-St. John’s, UConn-Boston College were events as much as they were games.

You knew UConn was in the building, from its large media contingent, to its basketball coach to its players who were of Final Four quality more often than not.

The sense of anticipation matched what happened on the court. Calhoun retired, UConn is now part of the American Athletic Conference.

UConn-Tulsa, UConn-UCF, UConn-East Carolina doesn’t have the same buzz. UConn is only two years removed from winning the men’s national championship. But something is missing.

The UConn women under Geno Auriema have continued to proudly carry the Huskie banner as a swagger program, but that is not enough especially when men’s basketball and football have lost whatever mojo they had.

UConn football did make it to the Fiesta Bowl under Randy Edsall, which remains one of the more remarkable accomplishments in UConn sports history, no matter what the parameters were.
There is no guarantee that UConn will be able to make a move to a Power 5 conference which is part of the problem in attracting candidates for the AD job and most likely the men’s basketball job in the near future.

Don’t bet against UConn coach Kevin Ollie finding an alliance with NBA superstar Kevin Durant at a new team. The morning line rumor odds of Durant and Ollie winding up next season with the Los Angeles Lakers.

But the more pressing problem is how does UConn become UCONN again. It will start with the new AD and unless Herbst can pull a name out of the box that will cause a stir(the NCAA’s Danny Gavitt would fit that description), the list that she will get next week is not likely to kick in the “wow” factor.

Which then creates another issue. Herbst has always been a fast forward type of person in her actions. Her instincts will be to fill the role of AD sooner rather than later, as she also deals with budget issues in other University areas.

But what if the right person is not on the list she has in front of her?
How long can and will Herbst wait to find that person? And given the uncertain status of UConn’s quest to move back to the fast lane of college athletics, what if the top candidates choose to pass on making the move? Will Herbst be able to “settle” for a candidate?

Herbst must juggle these issues and questions and she might have to fight off her instincts to move quickly.

These are crucial times for the future of UConn athletics, but no matter what happens, an even more important issue is finding a way for UConn to become UCONN once again.

© 2016, Mark. All rights reserved

Reaction Score
Seriously that article should have been titled "let me try and push every scary button I can think of for UConn fans." ....What if UConn lost its swag. What is UConn doesn't get into a P5? What is UConn hires the wrong AD? What if there is no "right" AD for UConn? What if UConn basketball sucks? What if Kevin Ollie leaves despite just saying his team wasn't very good? What if you have a stroke while reading this article? What if ISIS operatives posing as Syrian refugees move to Connecticut and attack Gample Pavilion?

How about "what if the writer actually spend some time researching a legitimate factual article as opposed to posting some fear based puff piece?" I can truly say I am less intelligent for reading it and half way through the article I felt brain cells dying.

Reaction Score
That article and those names indicate that he has no sources in this search like he did at Michigan...because his boy Gene D isn't involved.

Reaction Score
Blauds is to journalism is what BC is to college athletics. He was relevant years ago but hasn't said or done anything meaningful in quite some time. With all this UConn flirtation of late, seems like a hail mary of sorts on his end.

Reaction Score
The premise: How does UConn become UCONN again? Okay, I'll bite.
1. Start with on the field (court) results. Diaco has the football team trending in an upward direction. Ollie has a conundrum: his team lacks an Iron Man that can carry the team on his back-no one has stepped up to be this team's Emeka-Kemba-Shabazz. Fix that problem & the "swagger" will be back.
2. Fan support: I'm preaching to the crowd here. UCONN needs to augment the current base by attracting a new generation of diehards-This starts with WINNING. In the case of the football team, Diaco's influx of local high school talent (building a fortress around the state in terms of recruiting) will draw positive results. Ollie's problem is different-he needs to look at his own background for the answer-street mentality-on court the players can't back down in the waning minutes-they need to consistently instill their will on the game-figuratively speaking, take a punch & give two back in return.
The second part of fan support is time commitment: Whether it be tailgating in the case of football or postgame barhopping in the case of games in Hartford- the fan base needs to abandon the beat you out of the parking lot mentality.
3. Game day anticipation-again preaching to the crowd-game days need to be highly anticipated, must see in person events. (see Michigan in football, Duke or Arizona in hoops). This is partially a product of scheduling & partially an anticipation of playing your rivals.

An athletic director can assist behind the scenes, but making UConn into UCONN is dependent on other factors.

Reaction Score
This a** clown is confusing UConn's swagger with the perception from people on the outside, mainly himself. UConn hasn't changed at all. On the contrary. UConn has continued to do what UConn does while being handicapped by CR. That's about all I need to say about this piece of drivel.

Reaction Score
This is the Lion in Winter realization of his own irrelevancy. Back in the day, he considered himself to be in JC's inner sanctum. Now, he's got nothin'.

Reaction Score
Blauds writes like an unemployed guy who decided to write a sports blog. He's connected, I got it, but sorry we're not going to select AD on his timeline so that he can have something to write about.

Reaction Score
The whole premise of the article is ridiculous. UConn has not changed.

Is our men's bb team our best team ever? Probably not but they could very well make the tournament and go on a traditional UConn run. Our women's bb team is better than ever and our football is trending upward. Any "swaggar" issues UConn is experiencing is more a product of its conference than what it is athletically or academically doing.

Fix the conference and you fix the issues. UConn is doing everything it can to move into the P5 but we cannot force an invite. An AD is important but unless he comes with a P5 invitation there is no immediate fix.

Digging out of a hole is one shovel at a time. You cannot panic because the hole seems too deep. UConn is digging smartly and will eventually make it out.

Reaction Score

Is our men's bb team our best team ever? Probably not but they could very well make the tournament and go on a traditional UConn run. Our women's bb team is better than ever and our football is trending upward. Any "swaggar" issues UConn is experiencing is more a product of its conference than what it is athletically or academically doing.

Fix the conference and you fix the issues. UConn is doing everything it can to move into the P5 but we cannot force an invite. An AD is important but unless he comes with a P5 invitation there is no immediate fix.

Digging out of a hole is one shovel at a time. You cannot panic because the hole seems too deep. UConn is digging smartly and will eventually make it out.
I like your spirit but you lost me on the "digging your way out of a hole" analogy. LOL. :D

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score

Came here to say this. What an odd premise that the AD has anything to do with the swagger... Then he immediately goes in to the old conference match ups that brought the swagger. No kidding we don't feel that in the AAC... That's old news.

Reaction Score
I like your spirit but you lost me on the "digging your way out of a hole" analogy. LOL. :D
My bad, one should never go metaphorical on the BY. Instead I should have just said Pitt, Cuse and BC tried to doom UConn to the G5. The AAC is hurting UConn now but UConn has positioned itself well for a future P5 invite and we will make it out eventually. Once UConn gets back to the P5 we will reassume our rightful position as the best program in the NE. How is that for UConn swagger?

Reaction Score
Did this assclown really call UConn-BC an event?

How can something be an event when one team (UConn) beats the other 23 times in a row?

I've never heard of this guy. Is he a former newspaper reporter? Judging by his writing, it was a good decision to let him go.

Reaction Score
My bad, one should never go metaphorical on the BY. Instead I should have just said Pitt, Cuse and BC tried to doom UConn to the G5. The AAC is hurting UConn now but UConn has positioned itself well for a future P5 invite and we will make it out eventually. Once UConn gets back to the P5 we will reassume our rightful position as the best program in the NE. How is that for UConn swagger?
Amen to that, Brother!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Lol, I know right? If you are in a hole and still digging don't panic because it is too deep....and getting deeper? Is this the Julie Hermann school of management?

Still, good post @dwalks93. Spot on other than the rough metaphor.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Did this assclown really call UConn-BC an event?

How can something be an event when one team (UConn) beats the other 23 times in a row?

I've never heard of this guy. Is he a former newspaper reporter? Judging by his writing, it was a good decision to let him go.
He used to be the BC beat writer for the Globe. He now spends his days thinking of ways to get people to click on his blog posts.

Reaction Score
Lol, I know right? If you are in a hole and still digging don't panic because it is too deep....and getting deeper? Is this the Julie Hermann school of management?

Still, good post @dwalks93. Spot on other than the rough metaphor.

Yeah maybe a "climbing out of well" analogy would have made more sense. That said, you did not have to go Julie Hermann on me. That is like the nuclear option for poster incompetence. Next time just insult my mom which would be less offense....lol

The idea that UConn did something which created its current athletic environment in the AAC is just ignorant. To compare the excitement surrounding UConn in the Big East to the AAC is absurd. An article implying "UConn needs to get its swagger back" and the right AD can bring back that same swagger in the AAC is the worst form of trolling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom