Jerome Dyson | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Jerome Dyson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
probably because stanley was a geniunely nice kid, while dyson thought he was hot from day one. people tend to give the former a longer leash than the latter.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Did Dyson actually graduate, or did Dyson just say he graduated one time? You don't get to the APR UConn had off one bad year of Sticks and Edwards not graduating and Darius Smith failing out of school if Dyson graduated.

Reaction Score
Dyson and guys like him might be helped by new NBA CBA. Teams will be looking to fill their benches with young guys making leauge min.

Reaction Score
Good for JD. Hope he makes it to the NBA. Have to give him credit for trying.
We definitely agree on this point, HS - he gets lots of credit for working virtually as hard as humanly possible to advance his own career.

Reaction Score
I wasn't a big Dyson fan his senior year, like a lot of people here, but i'll definitely root for him and hope he succeeds at the next level. His erratic shot seems like it would prevent him from making an impact since he's pretty small but we'll see. Good for him.

Reaction Score
probably because stanley was a geniunely nice kid, while dyson thought he was hot **** from day one. people tend to give the former a longer leash than the latter.

Oy vey. I love the conclusions some of you yentas pull out of thin air.

And yes, the kid graduated. Fan favorite and future NBA All-Star (per the Boneyard) Gavin Edwards? Not so much.

Reaction Score
Something tells me Dyson is responsible for Oriakhi's tweets.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I think Taliek was polarizing. He had plenty of us in his corner, and some who would say "see, I told you we can't win with him" every time we lost. There are even some who, after he won a title, pointed to his one off game in the whole tournament (Duke) and said we won in spite of him. He's still picking pieces of Jarrett Jack out of his teeth, and the Alabama point guard had something like two points and two assists in the Elite Eight, but since he had a rough day against Duke, some people think we won the title without him.
I think it's more about a persons appearance. TB had some flaw in his appearance that bothered people. Same with JD.

In Jerome's case it was his constant scowl or aggressive appearance. That "look" is perceived by viewers as being "punk like", whether it is accurate or not. It is inherent in our programming to accept certain physical personas over others. KW's presentation is far more acceptable to people than JD's. Calipari's is far more acceptable than JC's (by neutral parties of course and not the world of invested bb junkies).

We are shocked by a mass murderer who is good looking and well dressed, but not by an unkept individual, even though it is just as likely for a "proper appearing" individual to have this tendency. Again this is because there is a preconceived "bias" within us that gravitates towards an impression, accurate or not.

I have a harder time putting my finger on the aspect of Taliek's appearance that created the blackboard scratching reaction in fans. If I had to guess, it was his the combination of his facial appearance and his speech pattern, both of which combined to make him "appear" uncouth to people.

Like it or not, we form impressions of the physical appearance of people, and label people both positively and negatively, without examining the underlying character of the individuals. And since few of us want to be considered biased, at least in this time period and on a multicultural forum, we look for attributes in the person we hate, or the opposite, the attributes we like, that support our claims and are socially acceptable to discuss.

So the negative focus for Taliek turned on his bad shooting and "out of control" dribbling into the lane, or specific games in which we can label him for a loss. And the negative focus for Jerome, turned on his out of control drives into the lane and turnovers and his suspension and bad season.

One last point and a slight over generalization. The people, for whom JD's appearance brought up the strongest reactions, found it necessary to character assassinate JD, in order to neutralize him. The reactions of these individuals towards JD became personal. It was more than just about basketball and UConn's success. It was a reaction to all their past personal experiences with people in their lives who hurt them and had the same physical persona JD presented. In other words they transferred the actions of their own personal experiences onto JD. We all do this to a greater or lesser extent so I'm not judging the actions and reactions of people in this forum or in society in general. I just think understanding our behavior is critical to understanding societies problems.

Reaction Score
HS - I'm not buying this one. Usually I agree with your psych conclusions. Not this time.

I adored Dyson's scowl, court presence, moxy, toughness, effort, never-say-die, and so on. Those were his best features. I would want him next to me in war.

Just not loading a magazine into a rifle right next to me. :p

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Saw this on Twitter, thought I should share:

@JoeyBrander: Former UConn star Jerome Dyson has simply been dominating the D-League so far, averaging 23, 3.5 ast and 4.5 reb. Should be in the NBA soon

Good for Jerome. He's probably considered too small for the NBA, but I'm sure as hell rooting for him to make it.

Congratulations to Jerome! I wish him the absolute best of success.
I really do not understand the ongoing hatred for this young man who played four years for our team and despite limitations collected as many floor burns as any other player

Reaction Score
I think if anyone was bothered by Taliek's appearance, it was purely basketball related. He didn't look the part of a point guard - he was more of a fullback. His shot was awkward, his game lacked polish, and some of his full-speed forays into the paint were "cover your eyes" material. Yet through it all, his teams always performed well in the postseason. The only bad postseason game on his watch (over his last three years, anyway) was a BE championship game against Pitt, and Taliek actually kept us in that one with 16 points or so in the first half. Yes, he had guys around him to carry much of the burden on offense, but that NC team he was on needed his tenacity to set the tone.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
"

I honestly believe JD didn't deserve all the **** he got from the boneyard.

Maybe not all, but some. His UConn trajectory went from selfish player to team player back to selfish again his last year. Very frustrating as a fan.

Reaction Score
Selvie is a top 5 Husky player all-time and it seems like most of Husky nation can't stand him.

Reaction Score
C'mon Superjohn - that's a ridiculous statement. What are you smoking?

Top 5 of the Calhoun Era, sure, that's obvious - but there's no way he should take Toby Kimball's spot on the all-time team. Have you seen Toby's numbers?

ctchamps

Reaction Score
HS - I'm not buying this one. Usually I agree with your psych conclusions. Not this time.

I adored Dyson's scowl, court presence, moxy, toughness, effort, never-say-die, and so on. Those were his best features. I would want him next to me in war.

Just not loading a magazine into a rifle right next to me. :p
LOL. Funny line.

You liked his scowl, but I'm sure lots of people didn't. Just my 2 cents.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I think if anyone was bothered by Taliek's appearance, it was purely basketball related. He didn't look the part of a point guard - he was more of a fullback. His shot was awkward, his game lacked polish, and some of his full-speed forays into the paint were "cover your eyes" material. Yet through it all, his teams always performed well in the postseason. The only bad postseason game on his watch (over his last three years, anyway) was a BE championship game against Pitt, and Taliek actually kept us in that one with 16 points or so in the first half. Yes, he had guys around him to carry much of the burden on offense, but that NC team he was on needed his tenacity to set the tone.
As I said it was hard for me to define what about his "appearance" was creating the degree of negativity he was getting. And to be clear there is no single answer regarding reactions by large numbers of people. It was a bit surprising that someone on a UConn team who played a pivotal role for a NC received the numbers and the degree of negativity he received from UConn fans. It intrigued me as much as it bothered me.

I actually was going to write TB always appeared "out of control". And that appearance of "being out of control" is grating to many of us. But my post was already over long.

Reaction Score
Years ago I had a conversation with an insider - and he said that the coaches wanted him to play somewhat helter-skelter, since they wanted transition defense to be one of the first items on the other team's game plan. Because he pushed the ball so much and had offensive weapons around him to run with (with deep shooting range), teams would usually make sure that two players were back at all times after a shot went up, which meant that Ben and Rashad could leak out and get in transition and worry less about the defensive glass. Now there were times Taliek overdid it, and tried to get all the way to rim 1-on-3, but the method to the madness was to make sure that the 3 were back - and over the long haul of a 40-minute game, they'd be able to get more easy shots than their opponents, since they felt Emeka/Josh/Charlie could control the defensive glass on their own against the other team's bigs (i.e. if it was 3-on-3 on the boards, it was a big advantage to us, but 5-on-5 would negate some of that). Taliek also had to be incredibly fit to play that way - since he didn't have a back-up after MW was ineligible. Some teams would respond by sending 4 or 5 to the glass to force everyone to rebound and prevent us from leaking out, and then it become even more imperative for Taliek to push the ball hard in order to get them to change strategy and become more conservative. Sort of the game-within-the-game strategy that went on that year.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Years ago I had a conversation with an insider - and he said that the coaches wanted him to play somewhat helter-skelter, since they wanted transition defense to be one of the first items on the other team's game plan. Because he pushed the ball so much and had offensive weapons around him to run with (with deep shooting range), teams would usually make sure that two players were back at all times after a shot went up, which meant that Ben and Rashad could leak out and get in transition and worry less about the defensive glass. Now there were times Taliek overdid it, and tried to get all the way to rim 1-on-3, but the method to the madness was to make sure that the 3 were back - and over the long haul of a 40-minute game, they'd be able to get more easy shots than their opponents, since they felt Emeka/Josh/Charlie could control the defensive glass on their own against the other team's bigs (i.e. if it was 3-on-3 on the boards, it was a big advantage to us, but 5-on-5 would negate some of that). Taliek also had to be incredibly fit to play that way - since he didn't have a back-up after MW was ineligible. Some teams would respond by sending 4 or 5 to the glass to force everyone to rebound and prevent us from leaking out, and then it become even more imperative for Taliek to push the ball hard in order to get them to change strategy and become more conservative. Sort of the game-within-the-game strategy that went on that year.
Good analysis. It makes a lot of sense. And you're correct, Taliek had to have a lot of stamina to do this. He was a strategic weapon for JC that gets overlooked. And once again JC came up with a system to gain an advantage over his rivals.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
Jerome Dyson always struck me as the kind of player who would look at a brick wall, and think he could get an "and-1" by dribbling into it.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Especially if they like to write sizable checks towards a new basketball practice facility.....
Regardless of anyone's feelings towards his career at UConn, the more players we have in the NBA, the better for the program going forward.

C

Chief00

Jerome never won an NCAA tournament game, a rarity for a UConn player in recent years. I do think he will thrive in the D League; it fits Jerome's style of play. Jerome struggles in more structured game settings, where one needs to play within a team concept.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I never understood why people on this board rooted so hard for Stanley, but trashed Dyson (who was about 100 times the player) for being the sole reason that 2009-10 team failed.

But then again, there's people on this board who post things like "Drummond is a bust" after two games, "this team is horrible" after a November loss, and "Stanley Robinson isn't a Big East caliber athlete" (that dude still tries to argue that point), so I guess I shouldn't take anything the dimwits on here say seriously.

Who in their right mind has said Stanley Robinson is not a big east caliber athlete?Who in the college basketball was a better athlete than Stanley Robinson during his time at UConn? Insanity. I always root for Stanley Robinson hope he makes it to the NBA we all know he has the talent.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
I've had my ups and downs with Jerome but I wish him the best and hope he makes it to the NBA. I think (aside from the suspension) the thing that was most bothersome to fans about Dyson was that he'd do the same thing 99 times with horrible results and seem to expect things to go right the 100th time. When his shot was falling he was great to watch and I loved his enthusiasm but at times watching him was like Chinese water torture... the same unpleasant thing over and over and over again until it became unbearable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom