Jeremy Lamb's D-League debut | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Jeremy Lamb's D-League debut

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I do understand the logic you & a few others have stated. But I think it depends on when you "start the clock". Given he's not on a crappy team anymore, then this is a good move...true. But if you start from draft day as a lottery pick, then go to being in the D-League in the same year it's not a "good" thing. Maalik Wayns is getting more NBA minutes than JL this year. Speaking strictly from a development standpoint that's not good!

Your points are valid, its risky to be sent to the D-league causing you to be forced to work your way back into the NBA. If he gets injured it would be problematic. There are no guarantees. Its just that riding the pine, earning no minutes and gaining no exposure is also very bad, essentially pushing a player out the door or certainly making them expendable.

Its precarious for Lamb but being a high draft pick is somewhat advantageous to him vs. say, Jeff Adrien. Lamb has value but he can not see court time at OKC for reasons stated, including not being good enough. If he fails in the D-League he will be in obscurity, so yes its not good. His last game he played well, if he continues he should be called up or have trade value.

Bottom line he was not ready for the NBA (Houston or OKC) in terms of 'major' contributions. He was a case of player potential (with youth on his side). He has to work his way back and into the roster, which seems to be your point. Not good and not necessarily bad since he still has a chance.

Reaction Score
Your points are valid, its risky to be sent to the D-league causing you to be forced to work your way back into the NBA. If he gets injured it would be problematic. There are no guarantees. Its just that riding the pine, earning no minutes and gaining no exposure is also very bad, essentially pushing a player out the door or certainly making them expendable.

Its precarious for Lamb but being a high draft pick is somewhat advantageous to him vs. say, Jeff Adrien. Lamb has value but he can not see court time at OKC for reasons stated, including not being good enough. If he fails in the D-League he will be in obscurity, so yes its not good. His last game he played well, if he continues he should be called up or have trade value.

Bottom line he was not ready for the NBA (Houston or OKC) in terms of 'major' contributions. He was a case of player potential (with youth on his side). He has to work his way back and into the roster, which seems to be your point. Not good and not necessarily bad since he still has a chance.
Very well put...I just really would have liked to see him get a chance to surprise though...like Kawhi Leonard. Who would have guessed he would crack the Spurs rotation but he got his shot without being sent to the D & hasn't looked back since.

Reaction Score
I do understand the logic you & a few others have stated. But I think it depends on when you "start the clock". Given he's not on a crappy team anymore, then this is a good move...true. But if you start from draft day as a lottery pick, then go to being in the D-League in the same year it's not a "good" thing. Maalik Wayns is getting more NBA minutes than JL this year. Speaking strictly from a development standpoint that's not good!

You're arguing pure semantics here. The options aren't play on the Thunder or play in the D-league. Based on the talent and depth they have in front of him, it's sit on the bench or play in the d-league, which I'm sure you're aware of. I can absolutely make the argument that this is good for Jeremy, seeing as the presence of Martin means the only alternative is sit on the bench. Is that any different of an argument than, this is Jeremy making the best of a bad situation? No, it's a purely semantic difference.

Reaction Score
You're arguing pure semantics here. The options aren't play on the Thunder or play in the D-league. Based on the talent and depth they have in front of him, it's sit on the bench or play in the d-league, which I'm sure you're aware of. I can absolutely make the argument that this is good for Jeremy, seeing as the presence of Martin means the only alternative is sit on the bench. Is that any different of an argument than, this is Jeremy making the best of a bad situation? No, it's a purely semantic difference.

Semantics? If I take for granted that everyone posting here wants the best for JL then I'm simply stating that he is not Anthony Davis. AD will play in the league 10 years or more if he stays healthy regardless of how good he turns out to be (see Kwame Brown). Players with a profile like JL's could easily go the route of Johnny Flynn if they get "lost in the shuffle". Plans for players change (Jeremy Lin) is all I'm saying and this is still a risky move for JL's future.

Reaction Score
THIS IS NOT GOOD FOR LAMB...What it is, is the best available option of a bad situation that lottery picks don't usually find themselves in. Anyone who thinks this is a good situation I challenge them to find a quote of any player saying they are happy to be sent to the D-League from the NBA, especially a player on their rookie contract. Or even a quote from any hi-level college player who expects to go the NBA even mentioning the D-League.
You're correct, he should have stayed at UConn.

Reaction Score
Whether its good or bad to be sent to the D league is debatable and certainly depends on all aspects of a player's situation (team, draft #, etc). But what is not debatable is that getting sent to the D league and scoring a boatload of points is making the best of the situation which bodes well for Lamb in every respect.

I think the fact that Lamb had very good summer league and preseason with Houston gives knowledgable fans and NBAtypes alike more confidence that this is a get the kid some burn type move versus a he's not ready for the league type move.

Reaction Score
Semantics? If I take for granted that everyone posting here wants the best for JL then I'm simply stating that he is not Anthony Davis. AD will play in the league 10 years or more if he stays healthy regardless of how good he turns out to be (see Kwame Brown). Players with a profile like JL's could easily go the route of Johnny Flynn if they get "lost in the shuffle". Plans for players change (Jeremy Lin) is all I'm saying and this is still a risky move for JL's future.

I just completely disagree with this. This is a huge-money business, where there are tons of resources devoted to finding and developing talent. Players who have the talent and skills to succeed in the NBA rarely just get lost in the shuffle, especially when they're a lottery pick. Teams will take second, third, and fourth chances on guys like that. I also don't see the Flynn comparison here. He's not a guy who just got lost in the shuffle, he's just a guy who didn't live up to his potential. Those are two vastly different things. And yes, again, this is semantics. Whether it's making the best of the bad situation (being on an absolutely loaded team where there are good, established players in front of him) or a good thing for him (not riding the bench), I think everyone is agreeing that him being in the D-league is the best thing for Lamb out of the two possible alternatives. Would it be better for him to have 12-15 mpg off the bench in Houston? Probably. Does that factor in to where he is right now? Not a bit.

caw

Reaction Score
I just completely disagree with this. This is a huge-money business, where there are tons of resources devoted to finding and developing talent. Players who have the talent and skills to succeed in the NBA rarely just get lost in the shuffle, especially when they're a lottery pick. Teams will take second, third, and fourth chances on guys like that. I also don't see the Flynn comparison here. He's not a guy who just got lost in the shuffle, he's just a guy who didn't live up to his potential. Those are two vastly different things. And yes, again, this is semantics. Whether it's making the best of the bad situation (being on an absolutely loaded team where there are good, established players in front of him) or a good thing for him (not riding the bench), I think everyone is agreeing that him being in the D-league is the best thing for Lamb out of the two possible alternatives. Would it be better for him to have 12-15 mpg off the bench in Houston? Probably. Does that factor in to where he is right now? Not a bit.

Flynn was short of 6 feet and had a pretty serious knee (?) injury which took away most of his athletic ability. He also did play a decent amount as a rookie IIRC.

Reaction Score
Flynn was short of 6 feet and had a pretty serious knee (?) injury which took away most of his athletic ability. He also did play a decent amount as a rookie IIRC.

Yeah, I think it was hip, but it was definitely a pretty serious injury. Even last year he got a good number of minutes off the bench, he was just bad.

Reaction Score

Probably better to be getting 12-15 min a game in the NBA vs playing in the D-League :eek: WOuld I rather be Maalik Wayns right now or JL, not even close. Wayns is learning from NBA coaches & players and playing against NBA players 2 or 3 nights a week. I'm not saying JL has that option, but to say if he did it wouldn't be much better for him is a stretch....You simply disagree that a high draft pick being sent to the D-League is risky for their development and overall career I get it.

FWIW when I mentioned Flynn I meant going to an organization that isn't completely sold on you. The T-Wolves drafted Rubio in the same lottery with Flynn. I think that put tremendous pressure on him from the beginning as opposed to being brought in as the PG of the future like most lottery pick PG's. Now Lamb is in a similarly tough position. He has to go to the D-League and dominate, not just develop, just to keep his status up and to be recalled. Making the best of a bad situation means being a lottery pick and playing very well every night in a league where everybody wants to look good against you to boost their own status.

Reaction Score
Probably better to be getting 12-15 min a game in the NBA vs playing in the D-League :eek: WOuld I rather be Maalik Wayns right now or JL, not even close. Wayns is learning from NBA coaches & players and playing against NBA players 2 or 3 nights a week. I'm not saying JL has that option, but to say if he did it wouldn't be much better for him is a stretch....You simply disagree that a high draft pick being sent to the D-League is risky for their development and overall career I get it.

FWIW when I mentioned Flynn I meant going to an organization that isn't completely sold on you. The T-Wolves drafted Rubio in the same lottery with Flynn. I think that put tremendous pressure on him from the beginning as opposed to being brought in as the PG of the future like most lottery pick PG's. Now Lamb is in a similarly tough position. He has to go to the D-League and dominate, not just develop, just to keep his status up and to be recalled. Making the best of a bad situation means being a lottery pick and playing very well every night in a league where everybody wants to look good against you to boost their own status.

First, with the probably, you're just looking too much into the semantics of it again. Yes, Lamb would almost certainly be better served with consistent NBA minutes than starters D-league minutes. On to my next point, I agree that sending a lottery pick to the D-league is a risk for their development and also that 10-12 mpg in the NBA would be better for him. What I'm saying is that sitting on the bench and only getting a couple of minutes here and there in blowouts is more risky. There were two options for Lamb with Martin ahead of him: sit on the bench and never play or play in the D-League. There is no third option of NBA minutes. So yes, in the situation he is ACTUALLY IN, the move to the D-league is a good thing for JL. I never said that it was better than him getting Wayns-type minutes, but that is just 100% not an option, which is why there really is no different between good thing and best of a bad situation. It's just relative to whether you're basing it off his actual realistic options or not. For me, him being traded to the Thunder is having to make the best of a bad situation.

And if Flynn had performed better, he would still be in the league, plain and simple. I would point to the severe injury or the fact that he's a sub-6 foot PG who has never been a very good shooter as more of the reason why, though. I also disagree with the notion that Lamb is on a team where they're not sold on him. I'd bet most of these guys don't have agents and guys like Calhoun blowing smoke up their asses. He knows he's considered a project and that he has to get stronger, he knows Martin is the kind of player for the Thunder, that the Rockets would have probably asked Lamb to be, and he knows that Martin is on the last year of his deal and won't be back. This isn't a situation where there is another long-term option and I'd be surprised if he didn't realize that if he performs, he will more than likely be a big part of the bench next season.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
I see Houston also sent Terrence Jones to the D-League, he went for 27 & 16 in the game. So of Houston's 3 first round picks last year 2 are in the D-League & the other one, the last time I checked, is AWOL. Also noticed that JLamb had a team high 10 boards.
He also found time for 4 assists, so very good game. Hopefully, the shooting % will improve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom