Jeremy Lamb's D-League debut | The Boneyard

Jeremy Lamb's D-League debut

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I see Houston also sent Terrence Jones to the D-League, he went for 27 & 16 in the game. So of Houston's 3 first round picks last year 2 are in the D-League & the other one, the last time I checked, is AWOL. Also noticed that JLamb had a team high 10 boards.

C

Chief00

Some fans get the wrong message when a young draft pick with a guaranteed contract goes to the D league. To improve young guys have got to play.

Reaction Score
Some fans get the wrong message when a young draft pick with a guaranteed contract goes to the D league. To improve young guys have got to play.

Agreed. Many early entries are simply not ready for the rigors of NBA ball. The money and draft position makes it difficult to resist. Jeremy needs 'court' work if he is to survive. D-League will give him that. Tough business the NBA is for good/marginal players. Its an investment of sorts for OKC to send him there, as opposed to sitting him out then trade or cut him. I like the move for his confidence, testing and skills improvement.

Reaction Score
No way I buy that, flat out embarrassing when a lottery pick gets sent to the D-league 1 month into season if it's not for rehab. Spin it however you want.

Agreed. Many early entries are simply not ready for the rigors of NBA ball. The money and draft position makes it difficult to resist. Jeremy needs 'court' work if he is to survive. D-League will give him that. Tough business the NBA is for good/marginal players. Its an investment of sorts for OKC to send him there, as opposed to sitting him out then trade or cut him. I like the move for his confidence, testing and skills improvement.

Reaction Score
No way I buy that, flat out embarrassing when a lottery pick gets sent to the D-league 1 month into season if it's not for rehab. Spin it however you want.
They didn't draft him, not comparable.

Reaction Score

Kitaman said:

True but from the player's POV it stinks because the clock is ticking for your next contract & playing for long in the D-League is not going to help secure a lucrative deal. Basically players have 2 yrs to secure an extension like LeBron did or a new contract like Wesley Matthews did. I'm sure Lamb's agent would have preferred he stayed in Houston & got playing time. For long term success Lamb needs NBA minutes period.

Reaction Score
Not every lottery pick ends up on a loaded NBA Finals team. Not like he was sent down by the Raptors.

It is what it is - when the season gets rolling, NBA practice time is limited and a player's skills can atrophy sitting on the end of the bench. As long as Lamb keeps the right attitude, he'll be back up shortly after the Thunder are satisfied he has enough game reps. I don't look at it as a blight on his resume unless he stays down there a long time.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk

caw

Reaction Score

Thing is, most lottery picks don't go to contenders. Furthermore most don't go to teams that were just in the finals with a starter returning at their position and a sixth man also at their position. If Lamb is still in the d-league next year or isn't a rotation player in two then there is an issue but he just needs playing time right now.

Reaction Score
This is great for Lamb, the Thunder are a class organization that knows how to develop players. Lamb will stay in the D league for awhile to develop then will rejoin the team later in the season, Kevin Martin will get traded in the offseason then Lamb will get tons of playing time next year.

Reaction Score
This is great for Lamb, the Thunder are a class organization that knows how to develop players. Lamb will stay in the D league for awhile to develop then will rejoin the team later in the season, Kevin Martin will get traded in the offseason then Lamb will get tons of playing time next year.
This. OKC has a plan for Lamb. It isn't like they got stuck with him in the Harden deal, they specifically asked for him.

Reaction Score
This. OKC has a plan for Lamb. It isn't like they got stuck with him in the Harden deal, they specifically asked for him.

THIS IS NOT GOOD FOR LAMB...What it is, is the best available option of a bad situation that lottery picks don't usually find themselves in. Anyone who thinks this is a good situation I challenge them to find a quote of any player saying they are happy to be sent to the D-League from the NBA, especially a player on their rookie contract. Or even a quote from any hi-level college player who expects to go the NBA even mentioning the D-League.

AtlHusky

Let's go outside our minds and play
Reaction Score
...I challenge them to find a quote of any player saying they are happy to be sent to the D-League from the NBA, especially a player on their rookie contract. Or even a quote from any hi-level college player who expects to go the NBA even mentioning the D-League.

I think I heard Alex say that JC limited his minutes last year specifically so he wouldn't lose him to the D-League.

:cool:

Reaction Score
I think I heard Alex say that JC limited his minutes last year specifically so he wouldn't lose him to the D-League.

:cool:
:D As you have noted everyone involved has their own particular interest ;) from the player's POV though once you're drafted you are basically playing for your next contract. Remember before players got paid a boat load as rookies (Glen Robinson)...those days are over. Lamb is auditioning for his first BIG contract with any team not just with OKC and NBA games are where the real auditions take place... Just look at Harden's path to his payday in Houston...

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
they're going to develop him there, it's going to be a waste for him to just sit on the bench and never play. they can get him to where they feel he can come in and develop or bring him up to be put in for a trade package

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
THIS IS NOT GOOD FOR LAMB...What it is, is the best available option of a bad situation that lottery picks don't usually find themselves in. Anyone who thinks this is a good situation I challenge them to find a quote of any player saying they are happy to be sent to the D-League from the NBA, especially a player on their rookie contract. Or even a quote from any hi-level college player who expects to go the NBA even mentioning the D-League.
so a lottery pick should sit on the bench on one of the best teams in the league and not progress? im sure hes not happy but he's playing, developing and will get called up soon. if he was on one of the bottom teams of league and got sent to the d league then yeah thats not good, but he was never going to get good minutes right now

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

Who cares how happy they are when they get sent there? What does that have to do with what's good for the player? Ask Avery Bradley now if he preferred getting some run in the D-League as opposed to riding pine in Boston.

Yes, it is the best of a bad situation. He's on a stacked team. On a crap team, he might get more NBA minutes. Or not. All I know is that it's better for him to play than to not play. They'll bring him up when they think he's ready to contribute.

Reaction Score
Who cares how happy they are when they get sent there? What does that have to do with what's good for the player? Ask Avery Bradley now if he preferred getting some run in the D-League as opposed to riding pine in Boston.

Yes, it is the best of a bad situation. He's on a stacked team. On a crap team, he might get more NBA minutes. Or not. All I know is that it's better for him to play than to not play. They'll bring him up when they think he's ready to contribute.

:confused: That's the whole d@mn point, it's a bad situation for JL. He still has to make the best of it, but you won't see Kyrie Irvin going to the D-League or Kemba or AD for that matter...That's usually the case for lottery picks.

Reaction Score
so a lottery pick should sit on the bench on one of the best teams in the league and not progress? im sure hes not happy but he's playing, developing and will get called up soon. if he was on one of the bottom teams of league and got sent to the d league then yeah thats not good, but he was never going to get good minutes right now

Being sent to the D-League is never "good" for a player unless they are barely NBA level period. Why do you think it makes headlines when high draft picks are sent there? Can you make a good situation out of it, sure and I believe JL will.

Reaction Score
I think Kevin Martin is gone after this year and Jeremy is going to step right in and be very productive for a tremendously talented OKC championship caliber team.

Reaction Score
:confused: That's the whole d@mn point, it's a bad situation for JL. He still has to make the best of it, but you won't see Kyrie Irvin going to the D-League or Kemba or AD for that matter...That's usually the case for lottery picks.
Yeah, but you missed the point again. Usually lottery picks are on crappy teams so they get playing time because the team has nothing to lose and needs to develop the player more than they need to win. Irving, Kemba and AD are all on crappy teams (although Charlotte looks much better this year but let's see how long that lasts). Lamb got traded so he's not on the crappy team that drafted him.

It's not that terrible a thing to get sent down to the NBDL if you have the right attitude and play and improve.

Reaction Score
Yeah, but you missed the point again. Usually lottery picks are on crappy teams so they get playing time because the team has nothing to lose and needs to develop the player more than they need to win. Irving, Kemba and AD are all on crappy teams (although Charlotte looks much better this year but let's see how long that lasts). Lamb got traded so he's not on the crappy team that drafted him.

It's not that terrible a thing to get sent down to the NBDL if you have the right attitude and play and improve.

I do understand the logic you & a few others have stated. But I think it depends on when you "start the clock". Given he's not on a crappy team anymore, then this is a good move...true. But if you start from draft day as a lottery pick, then go to being in the D-League in the same year it's not a "good" thing. Maalik Wayns is getting more NBA minutes than JL this year. Speaking strictly from a development standpoint that's not good!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom