OT: - Jeopardy | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Jeopardy

Reaction Score
The upcoiming contestants are in the audience, so they can see what is happening. They are randomly chosen to play a game. I believe they actually film 5 1/2 shows per day. You can already see the change with other players starting at the high $$ clues...rather than going down the column

That doesn't help the first two that are picked to play that week. It may not help the next two either depending on how the game played out. It wouldn't have helped the champion he took down. Etc..

Reaction Score
That doesn't help the first two that are picked to play that week. It may not help the next two either depending on how the game played out. It wouldn't have helped the champion he took down. Etc..

The contestants are all shuttled together...you don't think they talk to people that played yesterday? would you fly in the morning of your taping? I would show up 2-3 days early and just attend as an average Joe...Plus, you can see the changes in the wagering..

Reaction Score
The contestants are all shuttled together...you don't think they talk to people that played yesterday?

I don't know the answer to this, just like you don't know the answer to this.

Reaction Score
It feels like someone will have to beat him at his game. Skipping around categories and finding and delivering on daily doubles. Amazing what the guy knows.
Beyond being extremely intelligent with a broad, diverse knowledge base, disarming competitors by skipping around categories in search for Daily Doubles, and betting big #s early, what’s the possibility the professional gambler’s quantitatively analyzed years of Jeopardy’s episodes in creating his winning strategies?

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Obligatory UConn Jeopardy story:

A guy in my dorm and I got back to dorm @ 4 and Jeopardy was on and the same show would be replayed at 7pm and everyone would gather in the lounge to watch. Having already seen it, we'd run through the questions with apparent ease, sometimes taking turns, sometimes answering together. I think people thought we were Jeopardy savants. It was entertaining while it lasted.

I'm glad to see that no matter which generation, UCONN students are serious about their academics. :rolleyes:

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Haven’t watched in a while. I’ll have to tune in. My son’s friend won twice on Jeopardy. I thought that was impressive.

Reaction Score
There was a guy about a year ago that played the same game strategy who was a professional poker player. What he’s doing is clearly the best game theory strategy to win and win big. The other guy went on a nice ~10 game run from what I remember but he didn’t have nearly the knowledge bank as Holzhauer does so he got tripped up finally.

Reaction Score
I wonder what the show has in place to safeguard against losing serious bank as the prize winnings come out of its budget (I think).

Insurance against big winners? Sliding scale advertising rates to bring in more $$ when these big winners (but ratings boosters) show up from time to time?

Reaction Score
There was a guy about a year ago that played the same game strategy who was a professional poker player. What he’s doing is clearly the best game theory strategy to win and win big. The other guy went on a nice ~10 game run from what I remember but he didn’t have nearly the knowledge bank as Holzhauer does so he got tripped up finally.
Alex Jacob, Yale graduate

Reaction Score
I think the most amazing thing about this is the fact that the shows are taped weeks in advance and nothing has been leaked. Is he still currently playing? Did he lose or stop playing? In this day and age where everything is leaked, I find that amazing.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Alex Jacob, Yale graduate

Yeah Alex Jacob is the one who made boucing around the categories an obvious winning strategy.

It’s cringeworthy when some on goes to the top row without all the daily doubles uncovered now.

Reaction Score
This is a bit morbid, and I certainly am not wishing it, but Trebek’s pancreatic cancer will get him before Holzhauer loses. He’s that good.

Reaction Score
This is a bit morbid, and I certainly am not wishing it, but Trebek’s pancreatic cancer will get him before Holzhauer loses. He’s that good.
I wonder what would happen if this guy never lost. He's a pro sports gambler, what if he decides this is way more lucrative and he wants to make this his career for many years? He's so good, I don't see him ever losing.

Reaction Score
I wonder what would happen if this guy never lost. He's a pro sports gambler, what if he decides this is way more lucrative and he wants to make this his career for many years? He's so good, I don't see him ever losing.

Even Ken Jennings eventually lost. James is going to end up making probably 2-3MM on this, and get invited back for lucrative Tournaments later, but he will lose eventually.

That said, tonight we saw what happened when he doesn't get the Daily Doubles. One challenger went all-in early (the right move), but got it wrong. Then the same guy got another, but had no money to bet with. Finally, the other challenger got a DD with a chance to double up and get within striking distance of popping the runaway advantage, but bet meekly, got it wrong anyway, and that was pretty much that.

Even without the DD's, James had a huge runaway advantage going into Final, albeit with "only" about 30K, and finished with about 50K on the night.

If the first challenger had gotten the first DD right and put some pressure on him, he might have stayed within range. But James is so sharp on the buzzer he can build a stack the old fashioned way.

You can see how it has to happen, but it's going to take threading a needle.

Reaction Score
Even Ken Jennings eventually lost. James is going to end up making probably 2-3MM on this, and get invited back for lucrative Tournaments later, but he will lose eventually.

That said, tonight we saw what happened when he doesn't get the Daily Doubles. One challenger went all-in early (the right move), but got it wrong. Then the same guy got another, but had no money to bet with. Finally, the other challenger got a DD with a chance to double up and get within striking distance of popping the runaway advantage, but bet meekly, got it wrong anyway, and that was pretty much that.

Even without the DD's, James had a huge runaway advantage going into Final, albeit with "only" about 30K, and finished with about 50K on the night.

If the first challenger had gotten the first DD right and put some pressure on him, he might have stayed within range. But James is so sharp on the buzzer he can build a stack the old fashioned way.

You can see how it has to happen, but it's going to take threading a needle.
Was it on tonight?

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
ABC televised the draft.

What hell do you live in? I thought Pittsburgh was bad enough when it came to pro football, but even they wouldn't dare go there.

I missed the first round last night, but both challengers were pretty weak even when they beat James to the buzzer, and the questions weren't all that hard. And how in hell do you not get "The Deerslayer" with that clue in final?

Reaction Score
WTNH-8 New Haven will show Friday's show at noon Sunday.

Reaction Score
What hell do you live in? I thought Pittsburgh was bad enough when it came to pro football, but even they wouldn't dare go there.

I missed the first round last night, but both challengers were pretty weak even when they beat James to the buzzer, and the questions weren't all that hard. And how in hell do you not get "The Deerslayer" with that clue in final?
Fairfield County. The draft was on ABC and ESPN.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
WTNH-8 New Haven will show Friday's show at noon Sunday.

Yeah that's my ABC network and we had the draft instead of Jeopardy last night.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom