Jen Signs Extension to 2018 | The Boneyard

Jen Signs Extension to 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
UHart - Link

Would like to see Jen go to a higher level program. Her choice obviously and she must be happy at UHart.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Aligns with Geno's latest extension and keeps her around the corner from Uconn. My suspicion is that this isn't a coincidence. Not saying she's guaranteed the job, much less guaranteed it at the conclusion of Geno's current contract. Just saying she is aligning herself thusly...

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Aligns with Geno's latest extension and keeps her around the corner from Uconn. My suspicion is that this isn't a coincidence. Not saying she's guaranteed the job, much less guaranteed it at the conclusion of Geno's current contract. Just saying she is aligning herself thusly...
I noticed that too. Coincidence? Perhaps not.

Reaction Score
I noticed that too. Coincidence? Perhaps not.

I think coincidence. The length of her contract is irrelevant. If UConn offered her the job at any point, her contract wouldn't bind her to Hartford. Contracts of coaches almost never dc.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I think coincidence. The length of her contract is irrelevant. If UConn offered her the job at any point, her contract wouldn't bind her to Hartford. Contracts of coaches almost never dc.
She wouldn't be bound legally, but she may feel a desire to have a clean transition and be generally positioned to do right by Hartford, who has done right by her.

Yes, I realize I am in pure, unadulterated speculation mode at this point.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I'm just happy.

Good for Jen = she obviously likes Hartford and this carries her to where her family will be headed off to college

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
She wouldn't be bound legally, but she may feel a desire to have a clean transition and be generally positioned to do right by Hartford, who has done right by her.

Yes, I realize I am in pure, unadulterated speculation mode at this point.
I would bet that there is an out clause in her contract for her if she were to take a job with Uconn. (And I bet it has been there in pervious contracts.)

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Mil and I talked about it a bit ago - 5 years down the road is a long time. I'd love to see what Jamelle and Tonya can accomplish also. Neither has made much of a splash recruiting-wise, but I think Tonya has a better shot at Temple. Also we don't know what Shea or Marissa will be doing in 5 years +.

I could see a situation where one of the UCONN assts moves on and Geno signs on for his "last" 5 years in 2018. He then hires Jen as an asst 2 years in or so and starts laying the groundwork for her to recruit with him letting the kids know the "plan" is for Jen to take over when Geno retires. I realize he can't name the next HC, but if Jen is already in place and Geno were to retire at the start of the very last season, it would be similar to the Calhoun/Ollie situation. Would make for a nice transition either way... and if Jen were the interim coach for the first year like Ollie, she could show what she could do.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Mil and I talked about it a bit ago - 5 years down the road is a long time. I'd love to see what Jamelle and Tonya can accomplish also. Neither has made much of a splash recruiting-wise, but I think Tonya has a better shot at Temple. Also we don't know what Shea or Marissa will be doing in 5 years +.

I could see a situation where one of the UCONN assts moves on and Geno signs on for his "last" 5 years in 2018. He then hires Jen as an asst 2 years in or so and starts laying the groundwork for her to recruit with him letting the kids know the "plan" is for Jen to take over when Geno retires. I realize he can't name the next HC, but if Jen is already in place and Geno were to retire at the start of the very last season, it would be similar to the Calhoun/Ollie situation. Would make for a nice transition either way... and if Jen were the interim coach for the first year like Ollie, she could show what she could do.
i have always thought Jen is frontrunner to replace Geno. I dont think it is a total coincidence. She does so much USA b ball already- she gets alot of the younger stars regularly prior to college annually- correct? I don't think she would want to or have to asst coach with Geno. It will be a tough day when he packs it in- and i think this will be his last contract. This recent NC tied Pat, and he will have piled up alot more wins, and once he gets his 9th NC , or if he does over the next contract- i dont think he will renew. This is not what i hope- just what i think.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Eric that sounds great but Shea is firmly planted to be next. Her current connections are just as amazing as Jen's. If both were to walk into a HS or AAU game right now the spotlight would be on Shea. Jen needs to do more than that USA basketball stuff, where the teams are basically assembled for her. She needs to show that she can sell what she currently has.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Not sure how we got from Jen's extension to Geno and his retirement date, but I shall plunge on.
I actually think Geno loves coaching - he loves figuring our which buttons to push for each player, and he takes real pride in the development of their skills and great joy in their success. And his players become his extended family. He is Italian and so he loves huge families, and what bigger family is there than 28 years of players and assistants flung to the four winds but always coming back for visits. And he treats his teams like family, bringing them into his home and his real family, feeding them, and providing an 'in loco parentis' environment. He is the 'godfather' of his little athletic kingdom. I think retirement would be devastating to him. As long as his health and his energy remains good, and he continues to like and enjoy his players, and he has reasonable success, why quit. What would he do with his time - he isn't going to sit around the house. And i am sure he enjoys the food and wine business - it too is a social environment, but i doubt it really satisfies him the way the coaching does.
So ... based on that reading of him - if he is healthy at the end of this last extension, I expect another extension to follow.
And prior to when he retires I think he and the AD will devise a succession plan that will involve hiring his successor and working with whoever that is for a year on longer.
As for the successor, it really does depend on the timing. I suspect the front runners would be his coaching tree - assistants and players who have gone on to HC jobs elsewhere or who are on his staff when the decision is made. But it could also be someone outsider like Jeff who he has coached against and grown to respect. I would be surprised if the AD at the time did not hire whoever Geno recommends.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I'm just happy.

Good for Jen = she obviously likes Hartford and this carries her to where her family will be headed off to college
Ain't nobody happy if Mama's not happy.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Not sure how we got from Jen's extension to Geno and his retirement date, but I shall plunge on.
I actually think Geno loves coaching - he loves figuring our which buttons to push for each player, and he takes real pride in the development of their skills and great joy in their success. And his players become his extended family. He is Italian and so he loves huge families, and what bigger family is there than 28 years of players and assistants flung to the four winds but always coming back for visits. And he treats his teams like family, bringing them into his home and his real family, feeding them, and providing an 'in loco parentis' environment. He is the 'godfather' of his little athletic kingdom. I think retirement would be devastating to him. As long as his health and his energy remains good, and he continues to like and enjoy his players, and he has reasonable success, why quit. What would he do with his time - he isn't going to sit around the house. And i am sure he enjoys the food and wine business - it too is a social environment, but i doubt it really satisfies him the way the coaching does.
So ... based on that reading of him - if he is healthy at the end of this last extension, I expect another extension to follow.
And prior to when he retires I think he and the AD will devise a succession plan that will involve hiring his successor and working with whoever that is for a year on longer.
As for the successor, it really does depend on the timing. I suspect the front runners would be his coaching tree - assistants and players who have gone on to HC jobs elsewhere or who are on his staff when the decision is made. But it could also be someone outsider like Jeff who he has coached against and grown to respect. I would be surprised if the AD at the time did not hire whoever Geno recommends.
all great points Uc and I hope you're right. His last interview with Bobby Knight and his tone during the interview scared me a little bit. But I hope it all unfolds just as you laid it out- Part of the real glue to the transition may be tha CD stays on during the eventual transition whenever that is.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Eric that sounds great but Shea is firmly planted to be next. Her current connections are just as amazing as Jen's. If both were to walk into a HS or AAU game right now the spotlight would be on Shea. Jen needs to do more than that USA basketball stuff, where the teams are basically assembled for her. She needs to show that she can sell what she currently has.
Good point. Frankly I think I might like Shea better. I was just using Jen as the example since I think most feel she's the front runner for the job.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
all great points Uc and I hope you're right. His last interview with Bobby Knight and his tone during the interview scared me a little bit. But I hope it all unfolds just as you laid it out- Part of the real glue to the transition may be tha CD stays on during the eventual transition whenever that is.
Hey he is Italian! Which means he is dramatic - when he is sad the world weeps and when he is happy the birds sing. And when one of his players annoys him in practice, he dusts off his resignation letter, and complains to his coaching friends, and then when Stef stops by for a chat, he misplaces the letter and the most important thing is that she understands the nuances of one of the offensive sets, and the world is right again.
Not sure I have this reading correct and have never actually met the man, but that is what I see in his public appearances and comments from team members and friends.
And as he would say 'Its not like he has a real job!!!'

AllAmerRedHeads

Barnstorming America author
Reaction Score
I was at the CT women's basketball Hall of Fame induction the other night and Geno was there with cd and Jenn. he said no player he ever had exlemplified the spirit of UConn basketball and all it represents then Jenn.

I was never really sure she would be next in line but if he has any say I would take a bet on it.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Serious question for the Yard. Is everyone convinced that the coach after Geno will come from the UConn family tree?

Hypothetically, say Geno retires in 2019 with 12 national titles (I am assuming he will want one more than Wooden). What if someone like Jeff Walz applied for the job, assuming Walz made a few more Final Four appearances and could land top tier recruits?

Reaction Score
Serious question for the Yard. Is everyone convinced that the coach after Geno will come from the UConn family tree?
?

I think if CD, Shea, or Rizz want it, it's theirs. Too much bad PR otherwise.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Cam, I am someone who does not necessarily think that will be the case or that it would be good. I hope we look for whoever is the best candidate. If it turns out to be an alum fine but I do not like presumptions that it "should" or "must" be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom