Jeff Walz doing a "Holly" Impersonation | The Boneyard

Jeff Walz doing a "Holly" Impersonation

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Is it me or have You seen this movie before too? Lots of talent, unable to be consistent to put them in the elite. At least he beats the bottom of the conference teams. He is better than what they had and one of his stars is out tonight but where is the effort from the others? I guess he gets his defensive schemes from McGruff...

Reaction Score
Im not sure about the Holly thing, but i noticed the Louisville kids played hard, but seemed to be without much structure. I thought they didn't give up till the very end.
I did notice that consitently, the a ND forward or center would jump out and hedge the ball handler moving laterally, which created confusion for them. But, I also noticed then a great opening for a pass to the center almost every time for an easy shot. I wondered much why Jeff didn't capitalize on this. Geno will for sure.

Reaction Score
Im not sure about the Holly thing, but i noticed the Louisville kids played hard, but seemed to be without much structure. I thought they didn't give up till the very end.
I did notice that consitently, the a ND forward or center would jump out and hedge the ball handler moving laterally, which created confusion for them. But, I also noticed then a great opening for a pass to the center almost every time for an easy shot. I wondered much why Jeff didn't capitalize on this. Geno will for sure.

Agree with this. These Louisville women brought effort and heart, but they sure didn't look like a team that would be ranked 12th in the nation. They had no idea how to break a zone, and seemingly gave up trying after they missed a series of relatively easy 12 to 14 footers near the top of the key. There was way too much mindless dribbling, often into the corners where they would get trapped. And when they did manage to get the ball in good position low in the paint, often they'd make an outlet pass and settle for a deep contested shot, rather than pivoting and going up strong to the hoop. Sure looks like coaching issues to me. Walz seems to be able to motivate these kids, but perhaps he's just not a "student of the game" as one might say.

Having said all of this, I agree with Dave and Doris that Notre Dame played very good basketball last night, and finally looked like the team that everyone expected they'd be at the beginning of the season.

Last edited:

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
With two key players out, Louisville didn't have much of a chance to upset the Irish in South Bend.

As a staunch ND fan, I thought ND brought their A game last night. Having great ball movement and discretion (no turnovers until end of third quarter), they got solid open shots. Ogunbowale (even) passed well on multiple occasions. And Westbeld is regularly delivering daggers from the elbow. Frosh Jackie Young had her best game since injuring her ankle against UConn. Good thing, too, because Marina Mabrey and Erin Boley both had off nights. But that's why it's good to have depth.

However, I thought Louisville was in a bad spot without Myisha Hines-Allen and then in an even worse spot without Briahanna Jackson, who left with back spasms. Hines-Allen is a true forward who can score inside and (relatively) out and loves to mix it up inside. Jackson is her compatriot in rebounding. Without either of them, too much is placed on Durr, who was awesome last night but can't be expected to do so, night-in and night-out and Moore, who was shadowed as a result of ND not having to worry about Hines-Allen patrolling the lane.

H-A only played one minute and it was apparent as she jogged-limped up the court that something is wrong with that knee.
I don't know how Jackon's back spasms are. But if those two are hobbled, Louisville is hindered. (the Frosh Johnson and Shook will be there, but not in time for this season...).

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Agree with this. These Louisville women brought effort and heart, but they sure didn't look like a team that would be ranked 12th in the nation. They had no idea how to break a zone, and seemingly gave up trying after they missed a series of relatively easy 12 to 14 footers near the top of the key. There was way too much mindless dribbling, often into the corners where they would get trapped. And when they did manage to get the ball in good position low in the paint, often they'd make an outlet pass and settle for a deep contested shot, rather than pivoting and going up strong to the hoop. Sure looks like coaching issues to me. Walz seems to be able to motivate these kids, but perhaps he's just not a "student of the game" as one might say.

Having said all of this, I agree with Dave and Doris that Notre Dame played very good basketball last night, and finally looked like the team that everyone expected they'd be at the beginning of the season.
A true final four team would have soundly beaten such an undermanned, disorganized team. I have doubts that this ND team is capable of making the E8.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
ND didn't play Connecticut the same way, they blitzed Connecticut's ballhandler on the pick-and-roll and because Connecticut has the ability to score from all five positions, it hurt ND because it left Lou wide open as it was usually her man that blitzed, when Muffett adjusted and used Gabby's man to blitz, Gabby was open and that's what beat ND. L'ville doesn't have that ability and therefore couldn't execute the same plan. They needed to play better defense, as well....

JordyG

Reaction Score
UConn also beat ND because they had the mental toughness to execute under pressure. They also won because Gabby was a force of nature on offense and particularly, defense. UConn also won because they ran the lanes more effectively for 4 periods. UConn also won because, like Baylor, the more experienced team devolved into 1 on 1 ball when the pressure mounted. UConn also won because they have and have had the better coach.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
A true final four team would have soundly beaten such an undermanned, disorganized team. I have doubts that this ND team is capable of making the E8.

How much do you have to win by to qualify for "soundly beaten"?

I know Hines-Allen and Jackson are huge players for them but the players that replaced them are not bums. Shook was a McDonald's All-American. Johnson, who got the most minutes off the bench, was a McD All-American, too. Ditto Sam Fuehring who played just 3 minutes.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
When I watched the ND-Louisville game, the main thing that stood out to me was how the switching pressure applied by ND near the 3 pt line totally messed with their flow. It got so bad that it look liked every dribble was an adventure. More clear evidence that the best offense is a passing offense and not a dribble offense.

JordyG

Reaction Score
How much do you have to win by to qualify for "soundly beaten"?

I know Hines-Allen and Jackson are huge players for them but the players that replaced them are not bums. Shook was a McDonald's All-American. Johnson, who got the most minutes off the bench, was a McD All-American, too. Ditto Sam Fuehring who played just 3 minutes.
Frankly I think even if Louisville was healthy ND should have easily handled them AT HOME. The ND team I saw certainly played better than the one I saw against UT, where they couldn't have played more disorganized and indecisive. To top it off when pressured against UT they resorted to isolation ball. ND bashed Louisville in the 2nd, every other period was highly contested, and their defensive guard play was highly suspect. Ogumbowale continues to show me she's excellent off the dribble, can post, and has a fine shot. But the flow of the offense has to stop for her, and she hasn't shown me much on the defensive end. Thank goodness for Allen, who is the best PG in the country, bar none. If ND wants to enter The Dance as a guard oriented team to me that is a recipe for failure against teams such as Maryland, Baylor, Texas and of course, UConn. Play a more inside out game involving Turner more and your perimeter shooters is a better recipe. E8 seems to me more like it right now.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think Jeff is struggling to find his way with his increased recruiting success - he was doing great over achieving with limited talent and a scatter shot recruiting process, he is starting to get the talent, but is struggling now with perhaps over-large rosters of uneven talent and getting them to gel. It is not dissimilar to Ohio State but they have a coach who has never achieved at Jeff's level and I'm not sure is as capable.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Frankly I think even if Louisville was healthy ND should have easily handled them AT HOME. The ND team I saw certainly played better than the one I saw against UT, where they couldn't have played more disorganized and indecisive. To top it off when pressured against UT they resorted to isolation ball. ND bashed Louisville in the 2nd, every other period was highly contested, and their defensive guard play was highly suspect. Ogumbowale continues to show me she's excellent off the dribble, can post, and has a fine shot. But the flow of the offense has to stop for her, and she hasn't shown me much on the defensive end. Thank goodness for Allen, who is the best PG in the country, bar none. If ND wants to enter The Dance as a guard oriented team to me that is a recipe for failure against teams such as Maryland, Baylor, Texas and of course, UConn. Play a more inside out game involving Turner more and your perimeter shooters is a better recipe. E8 seems to me more like it right now.

That is a lot of words to not answer my question ;) Solid analysis, though. Think you are hard on Ogunbowale; I think she is improving her shot selection and passing as the season goes on. But I think most ND fans are too hard on Arike as well.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I've never been enamored with Walz as a coach. He can game plan well, but his teams never play high quality basketball. His star players usually have horrible shot selection and the ball movement is inconsistent. He was able to ride Angel to a title game and then gets much credit for upsetting Baylor which was truly a Herculean miracle. He is now recruiting well but the sum of the parts is greater than the team as a whole. They were without two important players, but generally speaking I think Louisville should be a stronger team than they are. I think they can be every bit as good as Maryland/Baylor/South Carolina.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
That is a lot of words to not answer my question ;) Solid analysis, though. Think you are hard on Ogunbowale; I think she is improving her shot selection and passing as the season goes on. But I think most ND fans are too hard on Arike as well.

Ogunbowal gets a trigger happy rep because she isn't a pass first guard. When she's on, she has All American potential. I'm also not sure going inside is the best option for Notre Dame when they have zero depth for Turner and a plethora of outstanding shooters. I'd say spread the floor, let Allen create for others and Turner will get her looks here and there. If Notre Dame shoots well from long range, they can beat anyone in the country.

Reaction Score
I have always liked jeff and he's a much better coach then holly. I consider him a top coach in wcbb.

JordyG

Reaction Score
How much? By 30 at home to a disorganized, depleted, overrated Louisville squad, and not just one good period. I can't emphasize enough that Allen is the best PG in the country. During Boogie Time she needs to be on the floor for 38 mins. in order for them to be competitive beyond the the SS.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Top recruiter. Excellent motivator. But it's becoming clear he's not a great X's and O's coach.
Sounds like a really good assistant coach.

JordyG

Reaction Score
I think Jeff is struggling to find his way with his increased recruiting success - he was doing great over achieving with limited talent and a scatter shot recruiting process, he is starting to get the talent, but is struggling now with perhaps over-large rosters of uneven talent and getting them to gel. It is not dissimilar to Ohio State but they have a coach who has never achieved at Jeff's level and I'm not sure is as capable.
Yes. But I also think his free form offensive resembles too much his throw it against the wall recruiting process. It lacks structure, identity, and ultimately the players don't really know their roles on the team. Again, a free form offense places the most responsibility on the guards. We're talking about 18-22 year old's. They need structure.

Reaction Score
ND didn't play Connecticut the same way, they blitzed Connecticut's ballhandler on the pick-and-roll and because Connecticut has the ability to score from all five positions, it hurt ND because it left Lou wide open as it was usually her man that blitzed, when Muffett adjusted and used Gabby's man to blitz, Gabby was open and that's what beat ND. L'ville doesn't have that ability and therefore couldn't execute the same plan. They needed to play better defense, as well.....

Yes. For example, their spacing on defense was terrible. I noticed that three of them would often clump up towards the wing, near the guard with the ball. This allowed for easy ball reversals and back cuts that Note Dame repeatedly exploited in the forth quarter to pad their lead.

Last edited:

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
Yes. For example, their spacing on defense was terrible. I noticed that three of them would often clump up towards the wing, near the guard with the ball. This allowed for easy ball reversals and back cuts that Note Dame repeatedly exploited in the forth quarter to pad their lead.
Walz didn't want Lindsey Allen to beat them with penetration, so he tried initially to zone ND but thety shoot to well from the outside, had Brianna Jackson been healthy he made have played it differently. I'm still not sold on Turner as one of the best players in America, I've seen many better post players than her. Osahor at UDUB, Kelsey Lang at Texas, Breanna Lewis at K-State, Jones at UM, Russell at UT, Mavunga at tOSU, Brown at Baylor, Coates and Wilson at South Carolina. I could go a few more if I thought about it but those are just off the top of my head

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom