Jeff Walz doing a "Holly" Impersonation | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Jeff Walz doing a "Holly" Impersonation

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Frank
Walz didn't want Lindsey Allen to beat them with penetration, so he tried initially to zone ND but thety shoot to well from the outside, had Brianna Jackson been healthy he made have played it differently. I'm still not sold on Turner as one of the best players in America, I've seen many better post players than her. Osahor at UDUB, Kelsey Lang at Texas, Breanna Lewis at K-State, Jones at UM, Russell at UT, Mavunga at tOSU, Brown at Baylor, Coates and Wilson at South Carolina. I could go a few more if I thought about it but those are just off the top of my head
You have the right of it.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Ogunbowal gets a trigger happy rep because she isn't a pass first guard. When she's on, she has All American potential. I'm also not sure going inside is the best option for Notre Dame when they have zero depth for Turner and a plethora of outstanding shooters. I'd say spread the floor, let Allen create for others and Turner will get her looks here and there. If Notre Dame shoots well from long range, they can beat anyone in the country.

Good analysis -- agree with you and Orangutan: Arike is most certainly looking to score first and foremost. However, she is cutting down on forcing the issue and making passes to people underneath the basket or nearby wings. I'd like to see her do that on the break a bit more often (Boley and Mabrey can have a cup of coffee out there at times), but progress is forthcoming.

I agree with the idea of Turner being a part of the process (and Allen's vision) as opposed to the priority. I also have liked bringing her out to the "ACC" part of allow some drives and short jumpers. This combines well with Westbeld confidently taking and hitting jumpers from increasingly further out (ACC, foul line, elbow.....). And Boley is getting more comfortable there offensively, as well as rebounding.

Defensively is the one area where all of those underclassmen need a "silent fence" buzzer...stay close! Fight through screens! Talk!
On the other hand, it does lead to some great facial contortions for MM ;)

Reaction Score
Agree with this. These Louisville women brought effort and heart, but they sure didn't look like a team that would be ranked 12th in the nation. They had no idea how to break a zone, and seemingly gave up trying after they missed a series of relatively easy 12 to 14 footers near the top of the key. There was way too much mindless dribbling, often into the corners where they would get trapped. And when they did manage to get the ball in good position low in the paint, often they'd make an outlet pass and settle for a deep contested shot, rather than pivoting and going up strong to the hoop. Sure looks like coaching issues to me. Walz seems to be able to motivate these kids, but perhaps he's just not a "student of the game" as one might say.

Having said all of this, I agree with Dave and Doris that Notre Dame played very good basketball last night, and finally looked like the team that everyone expected they'd be at the beginning of the season.

Don't give ND so much credit. It's amazing how good Louisville can make teams with winning records look. Louisville can beat up on the bottom feeders and backbenchers but doesn't fare well these days against the top teams that can match their talent.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom