Jeff Newberry Update | The Boneyard

Jeff Newberry Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
He's down to 5. Seems like we're leading.

Reaction Score
sounds good. I never would have thought Ollie would have trouble landing a good PG. However, due to my and other peoples pessimism we assume RB is gone and Purvis won't be able play point guard. If you assume RB is coming back and Purvis can play, than I can see why PG would avoid UConn for 2014. Would be nice to land someone who can step in a play right away

Reaction Score
How is Newberry compared to the high school kids in this class, I haven't seen him ranked anywhere

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
How is Newberry compared to the high school kids in this class, I haven't seen him ranked anywhere
He was a 2 star going to Mississippi State. Redshirted his freshman year, then went to Northeastern Oklahoma A&M. Averaged 14/game but last half of season he really improved.

Reaction Score
sounds good. I never would have thought Ollie would have trouble landing a good PG. However, due to my and other peoples pessimism we assume RB is gone and Purvis won't be able play point guard. If you assume RB is coming back and Purvis can play, than I can see why PG would avoid UConn for 2014. Would be nice to land someone who can step in a play right away

As I kind of intimated in another thread, these top PG recruits are concerned about the worst-case scenario for them (competing with Boat and Purvis for playing time), while we're concerned about the worst-case scenario for the team (Boat gone and Purvis inadequate).

That uncertainty could conspire to leave us in a bad spot.

Reaction Score
I hope Purvis can play the point but i haven't really seen much creating off the dribble from him. Usually some fast break or quick move to the basket set up by someone else. I know highlight tapes aren't the best indicator of his skill set but has anyone seen him play more extensively that could say otherwise? Thanks.

Reaction Score
As I kind of intimated in another thread, these top PG recruits are concerned about the worst-case scenario for them (competing with Boat and Purvis for playing time), while we're concerned about the worst-case scenario for the team (Boat gone and Purvis inadequate).

That uncertainty could conspire to leave us in a bad spot.

Kemba Walker verballed back when we had AJ Price and Dyson still on the team. "Quite frankly," kids like Snider and Perkins are not in the same class as guys who didn't come here in the past, Brandon Jennings, Josh Selby, Brandin Knight, etc. They can stand to sit for a year or so, but then again... at places like UCLA and such, they won't have to.

While Gonzaga and Illinois score with solid PG verbals, the likes of UConn, Michigan St. and UCLA go without. This reinforces your point in the end. Kids want immediate playing time. But it didn't always used to be this way.

Reaction Score
If KO offered, then he's legit, who would know better than former UConn PG KO?

Reaction Score
3, what are you hearing on Newberry, do you think we have a good shot with him?

Reaction Score
3, what are you hearing on Newberry, do you think we have a good shot with him?
Still really early. Ollie was supposed to watch him today and they will decide on how hard they want to go after him. Last year he averaged 14.8ppg on 44.8% overall shooting and 33.3% on threes. 73.2% on free throws and 4.3rpg and 2.8apg.

Obviously the staff is interested because they offered him without watching him (I believe). From what I can tell it looks like he's really interested in UConn. The first day he was associated by UConn when he got his offer he was already saying he wanted to visit. Since then he said it was should be an official within the next couple of weeks. Also, we made his top five after being on him for less than a week. If he's blown away on his visit its possible he commits then but I wouldn't really count on that.

Reaction Score
Take him KO......like his game, close this!

Love the passion mau, but if 3's correct that KO's watching to see how hard we want to go for him, then let's take it easy here and follow KO's lead. If there's anyone who knows firsthand that a juco point guard may not be all he's cracked up to be, it's KO. No offense, Cupp.

Reaction Score
I saw that and I'm trying to hook him up. Ollie needs all the help he can get!

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Still really early. Ollie was supposed to watch him today and they will decide on how hard they want to go after him. Last year he averaged 14.8ppg on 44.8% overall shooting and 33.3% on threes. 73.2% on free throws and 4.3rpg and 2.8apg.

Obviously the staff is interested because they offered him without watching him (I believe). From what I can tell it looks like he's really interested in UConn. The first day he was associated by UConn when he got his offer he was already saying he wanted to visit. Since then he said it was should be an official within the next couple of weeks. Also, we made his top five after being on him for less than a week. If he's blown away on his visit its possible he commits then but I wouldn't really count on that.

The videos show some nice offensive skills, but an average of 2.8 assists per game at a juco is not what one would hope to see in a PG.

Jaybo

I hate you
Reaction Score
I just like that he retweeted me lol. Kid looks decent hope it's a good two years if we get him.

Reaction Score
Love the passion mau, but if 3's correct that KO's watching to see how hard we want to go for him, then let's take it easy here and follow KO's lead. If there's anyone who knows firsthand that a juco point guard may not be all he's cracked up to be, it's KO. No offense, Cupp.

Cup Cormier was whacked, tried to be pretty with that slick handle and no look stuff and actually could've been okay if he slowed down. I certainly am not passionate enough to just jump on anything but the kid can shoot the ball a little, handles it pretty well from the looks of things and has nice size. Not sure who's writing his stuff but he is certainly intelligent too. With Bazz the question mark, Purvis and Samuel the other 2 I can't see any harm here whatsoever unless KO says otherwise!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom