Jeff Jacobs: UConn strength coach taking it slow and steady with Akok | The Boneyard

Jeff Jacobs: UConn strength coach taking it slow and steady with Akok

Reaction Score
It always scares me when rather than getting results, we over think something. I hope my fear doesn’t play out.

Share the same concern. Will never forget when we played Kansas in 2015 and was amazed at how skinny we were relative to them. Understand you want to avoid injury in the weight room, but you need to get guys to a minimum level of bulkiness before you can start getting fancy. Gotta be high major size. #science

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Can see it now- stud power forward out 1 month due to lifting injury!! Let's trust in Alosi!

Reaction Score
Share the same concern. Will never forget when we played Kansas in 2015 and was amazed at how skinny we were relative to them. Understand you want to avoid injury in the weight room, but you need to get guys to a minimum level of bulkiness before you can start getting fancy. Gotta be high major size. #science
I've always said Sal Alosi's strength program is the biggest reason we lost to Kansas in 2015

Reaction Score
Good article. The 90s and early 2000s days of body building are finished in basketball. Sometimes it seems like many on this board thinks thats the way to go. In the modern era it’s about science, mobility, flexibility, explosion and functional strength for basketball specifically. My only concern is losing Sal before he really gets going.

Reaction Score
Good article. The 90s and early 2000s days of body building are finished in basketball. Sometimes it seems like many on this board thinks thats the way to go. In the modern era it’s about science, mobility, flexibility, explosion and functional strength for basketball specifically. My only concern is losing Sal before he really gets going.
Our team has been anorexic compared to pretty much every opponent we've played in recent years. We're not asking for a team of Mason, Oakley, Barkley, Malone, and Alonzo but I think we're all pretty sick of our squad looking like Ethiopian runners.

What's the science? You eat muscle building foods all the time and then lift heavy weights, you'll get stronger. We need to get stronger.

Reaction Score
Our team has been anorexic compared to pretty much every opponent we've played in recent years. We're not asking for a team of Mason, Oakley, Barkley, Malone, and Alonzo but I think we're all pretty sick of our squad looking like Ethiopian runners.

What's the science? You eat muscle building foods all the time and then lift heavy weights, you'll get stronger. We need to get stronger.

Obviously guys need to get stronger. But I maintain the anorexia is just much more noticeable because we’ve sucked.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Obviously guys need to get stronger. But I maintain the anorexia is just much more noticeable because we’ve sucked.
Exactly. We need guys to get stronger (and it's going to happen in the next few years), but we also won a national championship 5 years ago with a bunch of bean poles.

temery

What?
Reaction Score

There is no such thing as muscle building food. Food is fuel, and provides raw material. That's it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This is not all on the strength coach. Need something to start with. Not expecting a miracle with Akok because he just doesn’t have the body type, not to say he won’t get stronger.

Agree on this jibsey. Look at Brimah you could tell the young man worked his butt off to get stronger, more muscular. Yet it was obvious his short shoulder frame and skinny legs left him short of what we’d like to see as well as what he hoped. Still he was definitely stronger and would’ve been fine if his overall game was stronger. Akok just needs to get stronger, has the same body type but already seems to be making progress prior to his freshman year.

Having said that some more polished and already larger guys would be welcome.

Reaction Score
I’m so excited about the future of our S&C...

The fact that there is a sound plan in place based on individual players, understanding that everything worth having and working for TAKES TIME, and having a transparent coaching staff(besides recruiting) that understands UConn fans need to know these things. Coach Alosi I truly believe is in a league of his own and we will benefit greatly from him while he’s here.

On Akok, don’t worry about his frame so much. A guy who is much stronger than his body weight will definitely succeed over time...

Reaction Score
There is no such thing as muscle building food. Food is fuel, and provides raw material. That's it.
mostly true, and for your average person I 100% agree. But macro's are important for professional-level athletes.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
mostly true, and for your average person I 100% agree. But macro's are important for professional-level athletes.

Macros?

Reaction Score
Macros?
basically, the balance of protein, carbs and fat that you consume. If you're an athlete, you want to consume a specified balance to help your body use the fuel most efficiently.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
basically, the balance of protein, carbs and fat that you consume. If you're an athlete, you want to consume a specified balance to help your body use the fuel most efficiently.

We're probably talking about the same thing. There is no food, in any amount that builds muscle. But there are certain nutrients that are needed as raw material (for lack of a better term), and to insure muscle is not broken down for energy needs.

Reaction Score
Food without physical activity is....
As I said, this isn't hard. You eat muscle building foods and eat a lot of it and lift heavy weights, you will get bigger and stronger.

You eat non-muscle building foods and lift heavy weights your results won't be as good.

Reaction Score
As I said, this isn't hard. You eat muscle building foods and eat a lot of it and lift heavy weights, you will get bigger and stronger.

You eat non-muscle building foods and lift heavy weights your results won't be as good.

100000% agree. But not every dude needs to get “bigger”

There’s a reason sprinters are shredded and marathoners look like skeletons. Just like guards like Khalid El-Amin don’t exist anymore, and even centers don’t have huge mass. It’s all about what is best for the playing style and potential.

Look at Zach Collins, Porzingis, Durant, Kuzma....these guys aren’t massive by any stretch, especially at 19...and they are some similar playing styles to what we hope Akok can do.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom