Jeff Jacobs: UConn strength coach taking it slow and steady with Akok | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Jeff Jacobs: UConn strength coach taking it slow and steady with Akok

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Kyrie Irving is listed as 6’3” and 195. Curry is 190. So obviously you don’t need to be huge. Especially as a guard. And yet there are big powerful guards like Harden and Marcus Smart that make that size a weapon.

I think the problem for UConn has been that we’ve faced a lot of teams who had big, powerful players, and we didn’t match up, or use what we had effectively against them. Akok doesn’t need to be massive. 225-230 would probably be his ideal NBA weight. Carlton lacks explosive athleticism and so should probably be as big and strong as he can get. Brendan Adams looks to me like a future power guard, who can use size and strength to create mismatches. Sid needs to get a little stronger and maybe add a few pounds, but not a lot. Sal knows what he’s doing.

As for Durant, he was fairly skinny in college, but he’s taller than people think. He admitted he’s 6’10 3/4” barefoot. Weighs a bit over 240. 7’0” in shoes.

Reaction Score
100000% agree. But not every dude needs to get “bigger”

There’s a reason sprinters are shredded and marathoners look like skeletons. Just like guards like Khalid El-Amin don’t exist anymore, and even centers don’t have huge mass. It’s all about what is best for the playing style and potential.

Look at Zach Collins, Porzingis, Durant, Kuzma....these guys aren’t massive by any stretch, especially at 19...and they are some similar playing styles to what we hope Akok can do.
I'm just saying the formula for getting bigger and stronger is not complicated. These strength coaches can talk all the scientific theories they want. Putting on muscle is the same as it's always been- eating a lot of the right foods, lifting heavy things, and resting.

We've been bullied by teams in recent years, we need to get stronger.

C

Chief00

Yes, the guy who punched p-diddy is overthinking.
That’s a good one - I actually thought one threw something at the other rather than punched - but Sal did try to trip the runner from the sideline - so to your point he has street creed.

C

Chief00

I'm just saying the formula for getting bigger and stronger is not complicated. These strength coaches can talk all the scientific theories they want. Putting on muscle is the same as it's always been- eating a lot of the right foods, lifting heavy things, and resting.

We've been bullied by teams in recent years, we need to get stronger.
Travis scientific theorized us to death, so whenever I hear a successor go that route I am by nature skeptical. I played both football and basketball and I don’t really think it’s that different for Bigs. You can beat someone in a matchup by speed/quickness, power or skill. It’s really that simple. You see what of the three categories you have the biggest advantage in and you go to that well until you are stopped.

Reaction Score
Our team has been anorexic compared to pretty much every opponent we've played in recent years. We're not asking for a team of Mason, Oakley, Barkley, Malone, and Alonzo but I think we're all pretty sick of our squad looking like Ethiopian runners.

What's the science? You eat muscle building foods all the time and then lift heavy weights, you'll get stronger. We need to get stronger.
Especially when we didn’t run like Ethiopians.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Travis scientific theorized us to death, so whenever I hear a successor go that route I am by nature skeptical. I played both football and basketball and I don’t really think it’s that different for Bigs. You can beat someone in a matchup by speed/quickness, power or skill. It’s really that simple. You see what of the three categories you have the biggest advantage in and you go to that well until you are stopped.

Sure, but the science of strength and hypertrophy has evolved. Some things make you big, some make you strong. Big doesn’t always equal strong. Muscle size doesn’t equal strength. Bodybuilders are mostly poor athletes.

What I think you are suggesting, and I was trying to too, is that sheer mass itself is sometimes a weapon. For some players. It makes them harder to move, it makes blocking out easier. Carlton already isn’t a leaper, so give him Mass and lots of it to go with skill. Sid can jump out of the gym, make him strong, and bigger, but don’t add mass to the point that it reduces his athleticism.

I think Sal is taking that kind of individualized approach. This is a bruising conference really. We can’t be a soft team.

Reaction Score
We're probably talking about the same thing. There is no food, in any amount that builds muscle. But there are certain nutrients that are needed as raw material (for lack of a better term), and to insure muscle is not broken down for energy needs.

What are your thoughts on spinach? There is plenty of data indicating Dr. Jockers research to be legit.

Reactions: pj

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
This article is a far cry from KO telling players "to get in the gym." Lots of thought and science going on. Here's hoping Sal stays a while.

I see my previous post was deleted?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Been hearing Matt Garry is the only one putting extra work in the weight room

Reaction Score
I'm really proud of the boneyard in that we are two pages in and no one has made a bad double entendre joke about the headline.

Congrats to the boneyard, he's all grows up.

Reaction Score
I keep hearing that it’s simple and nothing’s changed. It’s almost as if players aren’t bigger, stronger, and faster than they were 30-40 years ago . . .

Reaction Score
I keep hearing that it’s simple and nothing’s changed. It’s almost as if players aren’t bigger, stronger, and faster than they were 30-40 years ago . . .
Really? The players don't look any bigger and stronger to me.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom