Jeff Jacobs This Morning | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Jeff Jacobs This Morning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I know i am going to get some flack for this comment but I think a lot of fans overrate Newsome based on his high school stats. He is not any where near the level back that Terry Cauley, Donald Brown or Jordon Todman were.

I don't think anyone has claimed that . . .

Of the backs that we are currently playing (we have no idea what we have in Vickers and Hopkins), he's the most complete.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Whatever happened to Jeff Jacobs' "I am going to be all over this conference expansion" drive from many months ago? I guess the "tea leaves" of conference expansion have turned, so he can't ride that "band wagon" to glory any more.

Reaction Score
Had we beaten Navy and 'Cuse, people would be talking about how Diaco's keep it close strategy was genius, painful to watch, but genius.
But UConn did not beat Navy or 'Cuse. Full stop.

Reaction Score
This has been a season of disappointments and near disappointments, but JJ is stirring the pot without a spoon here.

PP took a BCS conference champion full of NFL draftees and turned in 5, 5, and 0 wins including multiple FCS/Mac losses.
Most of the personnel you cite had graduated when HCPP took over and things were in a pretty sorry state. I do fault him for trying to install systems of play that were too advanced for the personnel available.

Actually though, I think that that PP got canned as much for his body language of total frustration and inability to relate to players younger than pro's than his W-L record although that was awful.

Much of Diaco's reputation at UConn is derived from the fact that he took them from 2-10 to 6-7. But that 2-10 record is bogus. His staff was coaching for the long term rather than maximizing short term wins. He should have won several more than 2 that first year. Looked at in that light, the improvement curve is not nearly as steep and may even be flat.

Reaction Score
That's funny because my thought is that they are trying to run the ball too much. The run game is not working. I know i am going to get some flack for this comment but I think a lot of fans overrate Newsome based on his high school stats. He is not any where near the level back that Terry Cauley, Donald Brown or Jordon Todman were.

I hear you, but he is shifty and always breaks the first tackle. We are 4 yards away from 4-0, that first tackle is all we needed to break or avoid. I think Arkeel is being used in the wrong way and at the wrong times in many cases. He is great as an after the catch receiver and he's great at consistently getting something on each run. We've gotten totally stuffed running RJ for the TD at critical moments. He is not running behind the lines those other guys did either. OL was our strength now it is our greatest weakness.

There are much better odds Arkeel scores on that fateful last play against Navy (even though it should have never happened) and no way he doesn't score with 4 shots at Cuse.

Reaction Score
That's funny because my thought is that they are trying to run the ball too much. The run game is not working. I know i am going to get some flack for this comment but I think a lot of fans overrate Newsome based on his high school stats. He is not any where near the level back that Terry Cauley, Donald Brown or Jordon Todman were.
I actually agree with this. He is in that second tier of backs with Brockington Dixon and the kid who played when P was the coach. Good enough but neither as fast nor as explosive as the top backs we have had. Brow Todman Caulley could single handedly take over a game and change the outcome.

Reaction Score
Its pretty amazing what losing does to the psyche. Had we simply beaten Syracuse, this Jacobs column would never have been written. Yes, the season is precarious and by implication so is Diaco's tenure, but is it really that dire? Despite the two losses which I've loudly railed against, I've also now rethought both games and in retrospect I am declaring them (are you ready?) Nostical wins.
Navy--Just field the punt. Throw early when backed up, not on third and long (we actually ran three times and punted leading to their winning score). Time management/final play call. Anybody doubt we could have/should have won?
Syracuse--Blitz pressure/press coverage wasn't used. Throw early when backed up, not on third and long (sound familiar?) Down close, don't wait till 4th down to sprint out the QB. Anybody doubt we could have/should have won?
Our D-Back play in both games was surprising. We were vulnerable to the long pass. We have talent back there. It's more a defensive philosophy problem re QB pressure and lack of tight coverage at the snap. Correction is highly possible. In fact it's all fixable. Even our offensive missteps.
Factoid: we held Syracuse to a season low 60 plays. Normally they run 90.
So we come into Houston as a 29 point underdog. That I profess is the worst line on the betting board. There is no way we lose by more than 10 and have a good shot at winning. Watch the game and thank me tomorrow. This team will do us all proud tonight. Then read the next Jacobs column. It will be quite different.
Like the bravado and hope it all plays out UConn's way.. The score at the end of the 1st qtr will go a long way to either confirming or refuting those hopes..

Reaction Score
It's unfair to Newsome and Johnson to have to be compared to Todman, Brown, Caulley, etc. Those guys had offensive lines that could create holes, even when the other team stacked the box. This OL can't pick up a yard on 3rd and 1 against Maine. Newsome, Are they as good? Probably not, but we know for a fact the OL isn't anywhere close to being as good, and that makes comparisons difficult, if not impossible.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
Its pretty amazing what losing does to the psyche. Had we simply beaten Syracuse, this Jacobs column would never have been written. Yes, the season is precarious and by implication so is Diaco's tenure, but is it really that dire? Despite the two losses which I've loudly railed against, I've also now rethought both games and in retrospect I am declaring them (are you ready?) Nostical wins.
Navy--Just field the punt. Throw early when backed up, not on third and long (we actually ran three times and punted leading to their winning score). Time management/final play call. Anybody doubt we could have/should have won?
Syracuse--Blitz pressure/press coverage wasn't used. Throw early when backed up, not on third and long (sound familiar?) Down close, don't wait till 4th down to sprint out the QB. Anybody doubt we could have/should have won?
Our D-Back play in both games was surprising. We were vulnerable to the long pass. We have talent back there. It's more a defensive philosophy problem re QB pressure and lack of tight coverage at the snap. Correction is highly possible. In fact it's all fixable. Even our offensive missteps.
Factoid: we held Syracuse to a season low 60 plays. Normally they run 90.
So we come into Houston as a 29 point underdog. That I profess is the worst line on the betting board. There is no way we lose by more than 10 and have a good shot at winning. Watch the game and thank me tomorrow. This team will do us all proud tonight. Then read the next Jacobs column. It will be quite different.
I wish I could like this 5000 times. Yes!

Reaction Score
Wing
Go back and watch tape of those guys. They were just better in all aspects of the game. And it isn't close. Quicker to the hole faster in the open field. Newsome gets run down often. Caulley got hurt but Todman and Brown both played in the NFL. Newsome isn't close. Oline or no Oline.

Reaction Score
The problem with our losses is that they can be traced to tactical decisions made by the staff at various points in those games. It's not a sin to lose close games unless you're beating yourself and we've gotten pretty good at that.

I don't see a change being made during the season and a tough loss against Houston wouldn't impact that. But if you were to add a bome loss against Cincy with another vanilla offensive display and a bunch of empty seats in tbe 4th Qtr the optics would certainly leave a bad taste in our AD's mouth.

Reaction Score
It's unfair to Newsome and Johnson to have to be compared to Todman, Brown, Caulley, etc. Those guys had offensive lines that could create holes, even when the other team stacked the box. This OL can't pick up a yard on 3rd and 1 against Maine. Newsome, Are they as good? Probably not, but we know for a fact the OL isn't anywhere close to being as good, and that makes comparisons difficult, if not impossible.
Todman had a fullback in the backfield who went much higher in the draft than he did. Anthony Sherman.

Reaction Score
About the only negative I see on Newsome that is fair is that he isn't as fast as I expected in the open field. However, he is shifty as hell which explains why nobody could stop him in high school and he's pretty good at this level too. I think his better use is more short yardage opportunities and lots of short passes because he is good for yards after the catch.

Reaction Score
Compared to Caulley, Newsome has similar balance and like Caulley is deceptively strong, but Caulley was significantly faster and had better acceleration.

There is really no comparison to Brown. DB was stronger, faster, and tougher to bring down, and nobody had a quicker first step than Donald.

Todman had far better top-end speed than Newsome. First step/acceleration is about the same, but Todman had better vision and made much more decisive cuts.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
There's always a bit of concepts of Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle.

It's silly to think that a single game or a single decision within a game is a fireable offense. But when game data point fits in to a larger picture of similar results you act on it.

Reaction Score
The problem with our losses is that they can be traced to tactical decisions made by the staff at various points in those games. It's not a sin to lose close games unless you're beating yourself and we've gotten pretty good at that.

This. Yet he continues to harp on "plays that cause losing", leaving out the decisions that cause losing to a far greater extent.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
This. Yet he continues to harp on "plays that cause losing", leaving out the decisions that cause losing to a far greater extent.

Decisions that cause plays to be called.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
He may not be Pasqualoni yet, but he's getting pretty dangerously close. If we finish this season with a losing record and no bowl, his buns will be burning.

And rightfully so. It's obvious that he's blown a few wins, just like PP. He hasn't addressed roster holes and game plan shortcomings, just like PP. He difference is starting hand and direction. PP was a straight arrow down from day one.

The team is getting better just not fast enough for our liking.

Others have mentioned turnovers. We caught some breaks that led to 6 wins. We aren't as fortunate this season so far. But, a backslide in record isn't going to play well. Turnovers or not.

Next season his guys will make up nearly the entire roster. He'll have a senior QB and a bunch of other upperclassmen. If he can't challenge for the conference title next year, then he isn't the guy for this program and I think everyone will understand that.

We are just not there and this isn't the same scenario as PP, who in hindsight needed to go after season 2.

Reaction Score
Compared to Caulley, Newsome has similar balance and like Caulley is deceptively strong, but Caulley was significantly faster and had better acceleration.

There is really no comparison to Brown. DB was stronger, faster, and tougher to bring down, and nobody had a quicker first step than Donald.

Todman had far better top-end speed than Newsome. First step/acceleration is about the same, but Todman had better vision and made much more decisive cuts.

DB had a hell of a straight arm if I remember correctly.

Reaction Score
This schedule is a lot easier than last years and very few of us see a path to 6 wins. Not a good sign for Fiasco. We should be 4 and 0 right now thinking about roughly 5 and 2 after the next three. Instead we're all staring at 2 and 5 and a loss of the diehards. Year 3 was supposed to be better but we have taken a step back

Reaction Score
I was going to say, if Diaco piles up enough Nostical wins he will get his ass fired.
Ha! That's funny.
We can fix this.
So.....
Let's get our tight ends some quick slants.
Let's get Newsome some catches in space.
Let's get more creative on early downs.
Let's create some stunts/blitzes to pressure QB's

We have the talent, and sure, some players and coaches have more than others, but we have enough to be 4-0 with some better play calling. And here's the good news--- it's much easier to correct play calling than to make players play better or run faster. The coaches have now had time to rethink those numbing prior choices. So let's show the nation our talent tonight. Let's play to win.

Reaction Score
Diaco downplayed Houston's revenge motives. He called it "game week propaganda." "It has no use in the game. Zero," Diaco said. "If it's really, really dynamic. If it's really, really electric. If it's really, really passionately put out there and hammered home, it might last a minute-and-a-half. That's it."

Does Diaco "really, really" understand this game? UH had the date and the score plastered all over their locker room. If Houston beats UCONN last year and runs the table, they could have quite possibly been in one of the semifinal games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom