Jeff Jacobs: The Truth Is, UConn Isn't In BC's League | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Jeff Jacobs: The Truth Is, UConn Isn't In BC's League

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Think about this. Who are the 4 best football teams in the AAC this year? UCF, USF, Memphis, and SMU and UConn played all four. Plus, we played 2 bowl eligible P5 teams. The only team we lost to that we shouldn't have was ECU. Throw in a new coaching staff with new schemes and, in hindsight, the the record is about what was expected. In my mind, the offense performed better than I expected, but they really disappointed yesterday, and the defense performed worse than I expected, although I thought they played ok yesterday.

Reaction Score
-- You.

BC is not but a ZipCode school. National in your mind only. And the continued National Championships at UConn are clear evidence that the B1G and ACC should have done a little more thought ... than taking a damn phone call from DeFilippo in 2001. I - see above - think that the GREED of some schools break up the P5 Cartel.

Why?

Econ 101: Cartels always cheat. Some Player will find a way to go get supernormal profits beyond the norms ... and then Katie bar the door.
TV ratings suggest otherwise. They are out there. Look them up. BC was a first choice until UVA and their politicians pushed in Va Tech. There was a reason for that and unfortunately for Uconn, they waited 10 years to upgrade. They had and still have limited national brand recognition in football. The ratings show it. Every team the ACC took has better ratings.

This where you lecture me about UConn’s potential for grabbing NYC.

Reaction Score
Raise your left hand if you've gone winless in conference in football. And your right if you've gone winless in conference in MBB. And stand if it happened in the same year. That's the BC wave.

He's right that our league is a huge disadvantage. On the other hand, I haven't seen BC tearing it up since joining the ACC. They've won 1 conference title across all ACC sports (!) since joining. Virginia Tech in the same period has won 18. ND has won 11 and joined in 2013.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Football matters and Woman's Basketball and Field Hockey do not!

When you review a entire inept AD - Rutgers - the capacity to actually compete is meaningful. We have a severe deficiency at this point. But so does BC. A Fanbase that has fallen off. And you actually have a Football team that shows promise to be top 30 sooner. Our WBB and buzz gives me the idea that we can reconnect State U fans and regional interests. BC has no growth prospects.

In 2025, there's another quake coming. And you are poorly prepared and positioned. UConn can chin itself to a better place. You can fall fast and hard.

Reaction Score
TV ratings suggest otherwise. They are out there. Look them up. BC was a first choice until UVA and their politicians pushed in Va Tech. There was a reason for that and unfortunately for Uconn, they waited 10 years to upgrade. They had and still have limited national brand recognition in football. The ratings show it. Every team the ACC took has better ratings.

This where you lecture me about UConn’s potential for grabbing NYC.

You're talking 2000-2003. My kids have gone from childcare to Graduation from University in the interim.

Things change. That's another BIG issue with the nature of Cartels. They - BC - are not that important today.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Not to casual fans, but they do add prestige to the conferences they are affiliated with.

The impact of women sport championships are significant and cannot be overlooked.

Title IV was enacted for a reason.

Any female championship is a valuable asset to the university to leverage. People like Jim Delaney and John Swofford notice.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You're talking 2000-2003. My kids have gone from childcare to Graduation from University in the interim.

Things change. That's another BIG issue with the nature of Cartels. They - BC - are no that important today.
Let me know when one of your predictions on conference realignment and failure comes true.

Reaction Score
Please explain why the Big 12 would consider us? And look at who liked your post! What a surprise.

The emo mentality on this message board is staggering. We're going to be fine. Geez. Not hard to see.

Reaction Score
I disagree with his assessment the we are being "slowly, slowly slowly, strangled" by CR. We strangled ourselves by hiring bad ADs who hired bad coaches. The seeds of our demise date back to Hathaway when we were still in a major conference. CR has been a factor too but we primarily blew it with bad personnel decisions IMO.
Although I don't completely disagree with JJ, your point gopher2, is a good one. I hope JJ reads your post, on the same day that the athletic department is celebrating another National Championship, it's 23rd.

Reaction Score
Let me know when one of your predictions on conference realignment and failure comes true.

Have you ever left 06029 ... you seem completely isolated.

Reaction Score
Although I don't completely disagree with JJ, your point gopher2, is a good one. I hope JJ reads your post, on the same day that the athletic department is celebrating another National Championship, it's 23rd.

Yep, I truly believe that had we hired the right ADs and coaches we would be a top AAC team right now and would have been since the formation of the AAC. As a top AAC team, perhaps even the dominant AAC team, we would easily eclipse BC as the best FB program in New England. We can still become that kind of team but it is going to be much harder now that we have fallen so far behind. We need a high quality, stable coaching staff and Edsall gives us that.

Reaction Score
Yep, I truly believe that had we hired the right ADs and coaches we would be a top AAC team right now and would have been since the formation of the AAC. As a top AAC team, perhaps even the dominant AAC team, we would easily eclipse BC as the best FB program in New England. We can still become that kind of team but it is going to be much harder now that we have fallen so far behind. We need a high quality, stable coaching staff and Edsall gives us that.
Can the same be said for BC? A high quality, stable coaching staff can make almost any school dominant. The problem is the successful coach at both BC and Uconn will move to a greener, bigger job. Even Edsall again.

And why would Ucon be any more successful than BC in capturing New England fans?

Reaction Score
Have you ever left 06029 ... you seem completely isolated.
Like you, I consult nationwide on projects. And like you, I know that Uconn football has A recognition level on par with Miami in Ohio.

Reaction Score
Like you, I consult nationwide on projects. And like you, I know that Uconn football has A recognition level on par with Miami in Ohio.

That's BS

UConn has a Brand and a completely untapped State and virtually unreached NE market that doesn't give a crap about BC ... and then Eastern NY. Miami of Ohio has Oxford, Ohio.

Reaction Score
That's BS

UConn has a Brand and a completely untapped State and virtually unreached NE market that doesn't give a crap about BC ... and then Eastern NY. Miami of Ohio has Oxford, Ohio.

And they give less of a crap about UConn.

Reaction Score
That’s that second time you have said that...

You do realize that we play 8 conference games a year (which we have no choice in who/when) in a 12 game schedule?

I had to take him off ignore to see why I had him on ignore.

Who does not know that on this board besides him? Probably nobody. Just wow...

Reaction Score
Can the same be said for BC? A high quality, stable coaching staff can make almost any school dominant. The problem is the successful coach at both BC and Uconn will move to a greener, bigger job. Even Edsall again.

And why would Ucon be any more successful than BC in capturing New England fans?

I think this is Edsall's last stop and that is why I am guardedly optimistic about our future. As far as "capturing New England fans" I only care about regaining the fan base here in CT. My reference to eclipsing BC had to do with beating them on the field and winning recruiting battles, which I believe we would as a dominant AAC team. Many recruits would choose an AAC program that wins consistently and plays P5 teams every year over a middling to lower echelon P5 team that loses a lot - because winning is fun and losing is not no matter what conference you are in.

Reaction Score
I think this is Edsall's last stop and that is why I am guardedly optimistic about our future. As far as "capturing New England fans" I only care about regaining the fan base here in CT. My reference to eclipsing BC had to do with beating them on the field and winning recruiting battles, which I believe we would as a dominant AAC team. Many recruits would choose an AAC program that wins consistently and plays P5 teams every year over a middling to lower echelon P5 team that loses a lot - because winning is fun and losing is not no matter what conference you are in.

Exactly. If you win in the AAC, recruits will come to your school over losing P5 programs. You need to show recruits that you can develop players and get some to the NFL. And provide a good education.

I get that people are frustrated with the football losing, but that is why Diaco is gone after three years. Did anybody expect Edsall to turn around the program this year? Of course not, but people, including Jacobs, are complaining this year that the team is not good.

I was on the field after the Houston win and the fans are ready and waiting to have those feelings again. And, they will happen again.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
You may believe that but the ACC, B1G and BigXII obviously did not!
My criteria is different than those conferences.

My criteria: 1) the ability to field competitive, winning teams (based on a proven track record), 2) fan support, 3) academics.

Their criteria: 1) past football glory (Syracuse, Pitt, WVU) and 2) the number of TV's in the state (Maryland, Rutgers/New Jersey).

Reaction Score

Edsall ain't moving. This is YR 1. He's not building 5 years and going anywhere.

Addazio had a good 2017. They should be good next year. So at least he's off the hot seat - where he sat in August

Reaction Score
College Football TV Ratings For Every Game - Sports Media Watch
Ratings are a data point that back me up. What do you have beyond your own opinion?

What the hell point are you making?

Thumbing through those ... the American has done reasonably well. Often beating P5 games. I don't see notable high numbers for BC. I see 6-10 games per week that do far better than others.

Often though it looks like:

992K Temple
USF American Sept. 21, 7:30 PM ESPN

816K Bos. College
Clemson ACC Sept. 23, 4:00 PM ESPN2

Yup. Temple - USF ( a minor tilt in the AAC) outdrew BC - Clemson. Surprisingly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors