Jeff Jacobs: Shirreffs Really Felt The Pain Of UConn Season (Literally) | The Boneyard

Jeff Jacobs: Shirreffs Really Felt The Pain Of UConn Season (Literally)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Jeff Jacobs: Shirreffs Really Felt The Pain Of UConn Season

>>Shirreffs simply wanted to set the record straight. He played most of the season with a displaced rib. A rather significant fact in this displaced season. "I was hurt pretty much the whole year and nothing really has been said about that," Shirreffs said. "It's almost like being tough served me a bad card. And that's not an excuse.

"I displaced my rib against Virginia. And out of all the injuries I've had in football, which has been a multitude, that's definitely been the most painful. Regardless of what special pads I had, whatever I took before the game, as much as treatment helped, and I took two steps forward, as soon as I got hit one time it was back to square one."

Virginia was Game 3. That means Shirreffs played seven games with a displaced rib. Not a cracked rib. A displaced rib. Pain radiated through his chest and shoulders. "I couldn't tell you how many times I've been hurt in my career, but where it hurts to take a deep breath?" Shirreffs said. "That's something I haven't been accustomed to."<<

Reaction Score
Against UCF I noticed how he looked like he had fallen off a 4 story building after he was hit. You could tell his body was really sore. Tough kid, it finally overwhelmed him at ECU.

Reaction Score
Ridiculous, you can play if you're hurt, not if you're injured as they say.

Kid played hard, should have listened to NC State coaches. Could have had a chance to make the league.

Thank you Shirreffs. Putting your body on the line for teammates and fans.

Reaction Score
Tough young man. That had to hurt every time he tried to throw or took a good hit.

I will never forget the camera shot od his face after the Diaco Debacle at Navy. When your starting QB is sobimg after a Week 2 loss you have an issue. When that loss can be squarely placed on the coachimg staff, you have a problem.

Reaction Score
Oh he got hurt against a Mendenhall coached teamed? Color me surprise.

Anyway, I hope he heals and gets back to being 100%. He deserves a trip to the Bahamas on Diaco, Verducci and the entire offensive lines dime.

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I can't believe the kid has another year of eligibility left, with the way he is being eulegized in this thread. Let's hope he gets healthy, first and foremost for his own well-being, and maybe looks more like the guy in the second half of the Navy game. It would make the whole Donovan Williams redshirt fiasco even more infuriating if that's the case, but Bryant certainly deserves as much a chance to win the job as anyone.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I can't believe the kid has another year of eligibility left, with the way he is being eulegized in this thread. Let's hope he gets healthy, first and foremost for his own well-being, and maybe looks more like the guy in the second half of the Navy game. It would make the whole Donovan Williams redshirt fiasco even more infuriating if that's the case, but Bryant certainly deserves as much a chance to win the job as anyone.
I think there's little to no chance he plays another down for UConn, more specifically Diaco. This part at the end really made it sound like if he does play football again, it won't be at UConn.

Shirreffs and his fiancé Alexa Bonnes are expecting a boy in March. An all-conference academic performer, he'll graduate in May. As a graduate student, he can play immediately for another FBS school without sitting out a year.

"I'm evaluating my options for sure," Shirreffs said. "But right now I'm just trying to be the best teammate I can be."

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
I hope he gets in today. However, little chance the game is not 3-3 or 0-0 going into the 4th.

Reaction Score
No wonder why he runs for his life. Diaco never even stood up for the guy. Fire the red pant wearing metro

Reaction Score
That article sure suggests a soured relationship between Shirreffs and Diaco. Diaco may have lost the locker room and the staff. If that is in fact the case, he has to be let go after Jan. 1. My guess is that they can't even approach him about cutting him loose until after Jan. 1 in order to get the lower buyout.

Two bad coaching hires in a row. Killer..............

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom