Jeff Jacobs: Paige Bueckers checks all the boxes | The Boneyard

Jeff Jacobs: Paige Bueckers checks all the boxes

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
The entire team huddled on the court, they broke and finally, finally, finally the UConn women’s season started.

Rumor was the wait was so long that Bueckers was now 29 years old. It was only a rumor. She’s 19. She plays 29.

“She’s amazing,” Evina Westbrook said. “A-MAY-ZING. She loves to facilitate the ball and get a lot of people involved and she can create her own shot at any time. So make sure you’re always looking for her. She will get you the ball. She is nothing but a joy to play with.”

Quick hands. Anticipation. The willingness to share the ball. This easy glide to her game. She certainly can get bigger and stronger, but that innate feel for the game, you just don’t invent that.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
“Whatever my teammates need me to do,” Bueckers said. “My No. 1 priority for me is to make everyone around me better.

“I’m unselfish. If I have a good shot, I want to get my teammates even better shots. I don’t know if that’s just who I am. But I like to make teammates and everyone else around me do great things.”

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Because I am a greedy %# Paige could have made it a more complete coming-out party if she dropped a couple of 3s which she can readily do. However, she did not drop a lot of 3s in HS either, because she'd rather distribute it around her team. Nnaji said Paige could score every time down the floor, but would rather share the ball. A good quality for a PG huh?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Because I am a greedy %# Paige could have made it a more complete coming-out party if she dropped a couple of 3s which she can readily do. However, she did not drop a lot of 3s in HS either, because she'd rather distribute it around her team. Nnaji said Paige could score every time down the floor, but would rather share the ball. A good quality for a PG huh?

Besides wanting to share the ball, I think with her pull up game and drive capability, the percentages in general favor her to attack the rim (draw fouls, make buckets that energize the team as well as assist other 3pt shooters. Of course, when elite defenses take that away, she will happily stick a few 3pt shots in their face.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
“Whatever my teammates need me to do,” Bueckers said. “My No. 1 priority for me is to make everyone around me better.

“I’m unselfish. If I have a good shot, I want to get my teammates even better shots. I don’t know if that’s just who I am. But I like to make teammates and everyone else around me do great things.”
A wonderful young LADY !!! VERY Talented, articulate and a TEAM builder !!!
Sounds more like a senior than a freshman. In short order she will be, at worst, the defacto team leader.

Reaction Score
My assessment of Paige is as follows:

Paige is good, like 'all time' program good. She knows it, Geno knows it, and her teammates know it. She could've had 30 last night, but chose not to. Much like Diana, she will spend much of her career being a leader, passer, facilitator, and the best teammate. But, when the lights are brightest and the moment is most important, we will see the Paige that will get 30, because that's what her team needs.

My only wish is that she would've taken a few outside jumpers so we can see how that part of her game is.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
This is a thoughtful young star:

“I talked to coach about it the other day,” Bueckers said. “I can’t live up to anybody else’s expectations. My expectations for myself are pretty high, I’d say higher than a lot of other people have for me. I just try and live up to what I know I can do, what my coaches want me to do and what my teammates need me to do.”

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Besides wanting to share the ball, I think with her pull up game and drive capability, the percentages in general favor her to attack the rim (draw fouls, make buckets that energize the team as well as assist other 3pt shooters. Of course, when elite defenses take that away, she will happily stick a few 3pt shots in their face.
Certainly true and she has a very high ability to find a way to have that lay up drop in traffic underneath. Some of them look like trick shots that no one saw coming.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
My assessment of Paige is as follows:

My only wish is that she would've taken a few outside jumpers so we can see how that part of her game is.

I am surprised so many want Paige to (prove??) she can make 3pt shots. As I posited earlier, I think the general 3pt shot is not the shot she is invested in or is the best shot for her to take probability wise since her arsenal is so packed, but in HS, she certainly proved she could shoot it and the only reason a good shooter has trouble is lack of confidence and that is not an issue with Paige

If the team needs her to make a few 3pt shots to loosen the defense, she will but dont expect 10 3pt shots attempted. She rather figure out how to get Anna, CW and Evina hot from outside

Reaction Score
I am surprised so many want Paige to (prove??) she can make 3pt shots. As I posited earlier, I think the general 3pt shot is not the shot she is invested in or is the best shot for her to take probability wise since her arsenal is so packed, but in HS, she certainly proved she could shoot it and the only reason a good shooter has trouble is lack of confidence and that is not an issue with Paige

If the team needs her to make a few 3pt shots to loosen the defense, she will but dont expect 10 3pt shots attempted. She rather figure out how to get Anna, CW and Evina hot from outside
Agree. It's really early to project what may be needed, particularly at the end of the season in the tournaments. If needed, PG will shoot lots of threes for the team's sake.

Reaction Score

I don't want her to prove anything, I want to see where her outside jumper is. Surely, you can't be naïve enough to think she won't have to shoot at some point? She doesn't need to prove anything to me or any of us, but this is a basketball play that she will have to make at some point and surely one that this team will need. It is completely fine that we ask and inquire about this. I mean, this is a message board, ya know, to talk about the team, players, and the game.

Frankly, I'm surprised at how personally you've taken this. If I need you to staunchly defend Paige anywhere else on the internet, I'll send you a message.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I am surprised so many want Paige to (prove??) she can make 3pt shots. As I posited earlier, I think the general 3pt shot is not the shot she is invested in or is the best shot for her to take probability wise since her arsenal is so packed,
An open 3-pointer is the best, most efficient play in the game no matter how "packed" your arsenal is.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Let's be honest, if Paige proves she has a 3 pt shot or takes lots of 3 point shots, what will that leave available for Azzi to come in and execute? Paige wants to leave something for Azzi to be awesome at..:rolleyes:

Good thinking PB, good thinking...

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Let's be honest, if Paige proves she has a 3 pt shot or takes lots of 3 point shots, what will that leave available for Azzi to come in and execute? Paige wants to leave something for Azzi to be awesome at..:rolleyes:

Good thinking PB, good thinking...

In that direction, give CW her props. Her first 3pt miss of the game gave Paige her first "aaahhh" moment. ;)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
In that direction, give CW her props. Her first 3pt miss of the game gave Paige her first "aaahhh" moment. ;)
The drive and dish to CW should be a big part of our game this year, especially as Paige gets more attention.

Reaction Score
If you watch Paige's 8th,9th and 10th grade and you may have. She is a deadly 3 point shooter. Its might one of the reasons Geno is subbing Nika early for her to facilitate the offense and have Anna and Paige as three point threats. We will need to see if Ervina and Christyn can become a 3 ball threat. Otherwise, teams will double and triple LIV and force us to shoot 3's. Good man to man teams will not be able to overplay us like last year. Paige can break anyone down off the bounce and is tall enough to pass over most guards. We will see when we play Baylor and they put Didi Richards on Paige what she will do. Can't wait!!!!

Reaction Score
Ooh, we keep raising the bar for the young lady: do this, do that, let me see it, etc. But we may be at cross purposes. Paige was reciting the 1st commandment in the Book of Geno: take the BEST shot. From that concept everything flows.
For the record: if you watched Buckets in HS games in which Hopkins was threatened or behind, she instantly stepped up and started popping outside jumpers. The gaps got filled, Hopkins pulled ahead, and Paige went back from being the best shooter to the best facilitator.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
If you watch Paige's 8th,9th and 10th grade and you may have. She is a deadly 3 point shooter. Its might one of the reasons Geno is subbing Nika early for her to facilitate the offense and have Anna and Paige as three point threats. We will need to see if Ervina and Christyn can become a 3 ball threat. Otherwise, teams will double and triple LIV and force us to shoot 3's. Good man to man teams will not be able to overplay us like last year. Paige can break anyone down off the bounce and is tall enough to pass over most guards. We will see when we play Baylor and they put Didi Richards on Paige what she will do. Can't wait!!!!

You are right about Paige and the 3. In fact Paige and Azzi have 100 3s contests and it's always a close contest. There will be times when she should let it fly and it will happen.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
If she continues to avoid taking 3's (which I doubt she will), then defenses will treat her in the same way they treated Kelly Faris or Lorin Dixon, by backing off of them to prevent them from passing or driving and basically forcing them to shoot.

More accurately, one team might try that (maybe two) -- and maybe for only a quarter or two. After that, it will be revealed as a losing, futile strategy.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
She's the most "fearless" player I've ever seen...
I mostly agree. There are a lot of "fearless players." Some are fearless and good, some are fearless and bad. What strikes me a Paige is not fearlessness but comfort level. She just looks like she can do whatever she wants whenever she wants.

(That's not quite right, but it is the best I can do right now. One thing for sure she is unique.)

Reaction Score
Sounds more like a senior than a freshman. In short order she will be, at worst, the defacto team leader.

I've felt the same thing for a while. Geno has tried to get his older players take over, even giving them books on leadership, but I've always thought that Bueckers would take that role on the court, simply because it suits her position, her skill and her personality.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom