Jeff Jacobs: Paige Bueckers checks all the boxes | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Jeff Jacobs: Paige Bueckers checks all the boxes

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I mostly agree. There are a lot of "fearless players." Some are fearless and good, some are fearless and bad. What strikes me a Paige is not fearlessness but comfort level. She just looks like she can do whatever she wants whenever she wants.

(That's not quite right, but it is the best I can do right now. One thing for sure she is unique.)
That's not quite right, it is exactly right.

Reaction Score
I picked up on something that Geno said in his post game interview that explains the lack of 3s for me. He said to effect, the guard rotation will take care of itself... what he is really trying to figure out is the front court players and rotation... you can't figure that out if you fire it from the 3 pt line all game. I actually think the game plan was to get it inside and play good defense to see what the front court players could do... The best thing about Paige is she doesn't think she needs to prove her 3pt shot to anyone on this board... She'll take a 3 when it fits in with what they are doing on the court. And with her flair, I have to think when she does there'll be like 5 or 6 of them in the game.

Reaction Score
Sounds more like a senior than a freshman. In short order she will be, at worst, the defacto team leader.

as I said a couple of years ago, PB was basically wasting time playing high school basketball because she was already good enough to be starting for most college teams...........

Reaction Score
I don't want her to prove anything, I want to see where her outside jumper is. Surely, you can't be naïve enough to think she won't have to shoot at some point? She doesn't need to prove anything to me or any of us, but this is a basketball play that she will have to make at some point and surely one that this team will need. It is completely fine that we ask and inquire about this. I mean, this is a message board, ya know, to talk about the team, players, and the game.

Frankly, I'm surprised at how personally you've taken this. If I need you to staunchly defend Paige anywhere else on the internet, I'll send you a message.

If you want to see her outside shot then go to YOUtube and watch a few games. There is one from her 8th grade year where she hits her first four 3's and ends up 6-7. Yeah, it's HS but she's 6' tall so it isn't like she has a problem shooting over college guards.
It's understandable for you to question parts of a freshman's game but you are late to the Bueckers analysis party. I've been watching her drain 3's for 3 years. I'd say she's the best 3 pt shooter on the team until next year.

Reaction Score
If you want to see her outside shot then go to YOUtube and watch a few games. There is one from her 8th grade year where she hits her first four 3's and ends up 6-7. Yeah, it's HS but she's 6' tall so it isn't like she has a problem shooting over college guards.
It's understandable for you to question parts of a freshman's game but you are late to the Bueckers analysis party. I've been watching her drain 3's for 3 years. I'd say she's the best 3 pt shooter on the team until next year.

I simply can't even imagine what that back court is going to look like next season.........good luck trying to stop that tandem from scoring......

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I've felt the same thing for a while. Geno has tried to get his older players take over, even giving them books on leadership, but I've always thought that Bueckers would take that role on the court, simply because it suits her position, her skill and her personality.
The video below as a whole is interesting. However, relative to leading this team go to the 3:00 mark and listen to what Paige says.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I always thought that a pull-up 2-pointer in the lane
is just as devastating as a three.
If you have it; will potentially be higher %
And it is even more a back-breaker...if you can't guard
inside the circle, what can you guard?...
I remember in the bad old Skyler days;
how she used to dart around a screen near the foul-line
and find an open, back-breaking deuce.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
More fearless than Maya? More fearless than Diana? I would say "as fearless" which is incredibly great ......

add Stewie and her 4NC prediction. :cool:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I've felt the same thing for a while. Geno has tried to get his older players take over, even giving them books on leadership, but I've always thought that Bueckers would take that role on the court, simply because it suits her position, her skill and her personality.

I have to bet that she is the defacto leader now. Geno says her teammates love her because she gets them the ball. Her teammates have to recognize her floor skills and seen her shooting skills day after day. When Evina calls you AMAZING well, you are. The whole who speaks when will work itself out on the floor as the games progress or until Geno points to her in a time out and says "listen to her."

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I have to bet that she is the defacto leader now. Geno says her teammates love her because she gets them the ball. Her teammates have to recognize her floor skills and seen her shooting skills day after day. When Evina calls you AMAZING well, you are. The whole who speaks when will work itself out on the floor as the games progress or until Geno points to her in a time out and says "listen to her."

In the first minute of the game, when Christyn had the ball on the baseline, you could see Paige in no uncertain terms point out to Christyn to get the pass into Liv quickly with an obvious mismatch. Leadership comes naturally to her

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
That is a really tough thing for a freshman to do.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
That is a really tough thing for a freshman to do.

She is a natural leader but it seems that Paige and Evina together will take alot of the leadership mantle. Liv and Christyn may have enough on their plate getting their level of play to a high consistent level.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
The video below as a whole is interesting. However, relative to leading this team go to the 3:00 mark and listen to what Paige says.

This is a situation Geno has created as he attempts to deal with a team bereft of seniors. ONO and CW are leaders by default, not because it comes naturally to them. It comes naturally to Paige but Geno has not turned over the reins to her. It's coming though. Evina can lead but her minutes are limited for now. This will all work itself out.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I simply can't even imagine what that back court is going to look like next season.........good luck trying to stop that tandem from scoring......
Try to imagine Paige et al with this player. This was the City Championship game, when sophomore Azzi outscored the entire Visitation team. That's the Mystics' home arena. Elena Delle Donne plays there. The arena record is held by Azzi Fudd (from this game).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom