Jeff Jacobs on UConn Recruiting | The Boneyard

Jeff Jacobs on UConn Recruiting

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
This a a free article that does not require a subscription, btw.

Here’s the whole quote on Aubrey:

She is a really good player, really, really good,” Auriemma said. “She fits us perfectly. She’s one of those kids by the time she’s finished playing, she’s going to be 100 times better than she is right now. And she’s pretty good as it is. She’s long and athletic and loves to guard people and gets to the rim all the time. She reminds me of Christyn but not as good offensively — not yet. She’s exactly what we need.”

Boom!

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Another article on same subject.

Mike Anthony: UConn women's recruiting setbacks part of normal basketball world program rarely sees

Relevent blurb

Still, UConn’s only recruit for next season is Ossining, N.Y., guard Aubrey Griffin, the No. 33 ranked high school senior according to ESPN. She’s a nice piece but there’s still an incomplete puzzle with the graduation of Samuelson and Collier, and a shaky group of reserves returning for 2019-20. Look for Auriemma to fill another scholarship or two via transfers or European players

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Look for Auriemma to fill another scholarship or two via transfers or European players

Is the "no sit" new rule passed? Transfers absent the "Notre Dame free pass" would sit. Love to get a European big in here.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
This quote is from the AP article on the DePaul game:

''You just go through some cycles where the kids you want, you know it's a longshot,'' Auriemma said. ''So, why don't you take some other kids? I don't want them. But you have to do something. So, we got a really good player. Aubry Griffin is really, really good and she fits us perfectly.'

There you have it.

Reaction Score
So I'm assuming Haley was a longshot in Geno's eyes, maybe Horston too. Not sure what he thinks of Boston's recruitment.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
So I'm assuming Haley was a longshot in Geno's eyes, maybe Horston too. Not sure what he thinks of Boston's recruitment.
I think Boston was an unpleasant surprise. She was practically a fixture at UConn home games. While some felt that it would come down to ND or UConn, or even tOSU, I don't know of anyone who felt that Boston would end up at SC.

The fact that she showed up again in Storrs to watch UConn play tOSU, the week after her official visit and a little over a week prior to announcing her intention to play for Dawn, leads me to believe that she was still mulling over the decision at that time. I suspect even Dawn was surprised by Aliyah's decision.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I think Boston was an unpleasant surprise. She was practically a fixture at UConn home games. While some felt that it would come down to ND or UConn, or even tOSU, I don't know of anyone who felt that Boston would end up at SC.

The fact that she showed up again in Storrs to watch UConn play tOSU, the week after her official visit and a little over a week prior to announcing her intention to play for Dawn, leads me to believe that she was still mulling over the decision at that time. I suspect even Dawn was surprised by Aliyah's decision.
As Geno was surprised by Liv's signing. Let's not forget that, and UConn would be in a real fix if she hadn't.

Reaction Score
I love Geno’s comment on Griffin. “She’s going to be 100 times better than she is right now.”

That was the best of the article. If she is anywhere near CW's attitude, floor awareness, and hitting the floor running Uconn is in pretty good shape.
Most people forget all those years where Geno faced everyone with a 4 or 5 guard team.

The rest was Geno being Geno--feeling bad about comments he should ignore by guys he called You're no John Wooden--he ignored that idiot then, why not now.

He is aware as all Fans should be: The world goes in circles and so does women's basketball. Good years and Bad years (Geno's are just not as great years) is the normal cycle for everyone except Uconn.
I'm waiting for the 2nd time ND beats Uconn--then the cry (stared by the Courant Atilla) will be Muffet has Geno's number, again>

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
As Geno was surprised by Liv's signing. Let's not forget that, and UConn would be in a real fix if she hadn't.
The obvious problems for UConn next year are the need for a sizable, strong rebounder and an offensive threat that allows freedom for the other players. We’ve had a period of having multidimensional offensive threats in Maya, Stewie and KLS who had excellent other players with them. It looks like we have the excellent other players, but not so sure we have the attention getter, if you know what I mean. How a Dangerfield, Walker and Williams do without a Samuelson/Collier threat we will see. How ONO adjusts to the speed of the game is another. Right now all those fouls are because she hasn’t quite yet adjusted. I like Irwin as a few minutes a half sub. I think at this point, she has no unexpected athletiscim.

Geno said in his post game interview he is not against graduate transfers. I don’t think he means perimeter players, not this year anyway . And he plain needs bodies. Batouly could fill a role, but she might never approach her uninjured ability even if she sticks around. Notice that Gordon didn’t get in even in garbage time yesterday.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Post game Geno said he'd look at post-grad transfers for next year, as long as he can find 'the right one.'

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Does anyone know if Sveti has a younger sister?
Tatiana, an older sister. Even a younger sister would be in her early 30's. Sveta is 38 now.

Reaction Score
Love how Geno smiled and said "doesn't mean next year we won't" in regards to getting top players
Yeah that was a great line. I think he was responding to the notion that UConn is done just because they didn't get Boston and Jones.

Reaction Score
I love Geno’s comment on Griffin. “She’s going to be 100 times better than she is right now.”

so it sounds that I was correct when it comes to Griffin's recruitment..............she was chosen so that at least one talented player would be on board in case the top dogs went elsewhere..........now if they had just found one forward like that, next year would be a bit less concerning.......

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Is the "no sit" new rule passed? Transfers absent the "Notre Dame free pass" would sit. Love to get a European big in here.
NO SIT, change of rule? I doubt it's been changed, but once used (an Attorney may think) fairness dictates it become the law of the land. It shall apply to any team in the US
that isn't named UConn.
I read a where huge Polish player is looking for a USA school to go to: can't remember his name though!

Reaction Score
Lexi is nursing hamstring & calf injuries and did not dress for last night’s game.
Thanks for that: it dispels
The obvious problems for UConn next year are the need for a sizable, strong rebounder and an offensive threat that allows freedom for the other players. We’ve had a period of having multidimensional offensive threats in Maya, Stewie and KLS who had excellent other players with them. It looks like we have the excellent other players, but not so sure we have the attention getter, if you know what I mean. How a Dangerfield, Walker and Williams do without a Samuelson/Collier threat we will see. How ONO adjusts to the speed of the game is another. Right now all those fouls are because she hasn’t quite yet adjusted. I like Irwin as a few minutes a half sub. I think at this point, she has no unexpected athletiscim.

Geno said in his post game interview he is not against graduate transfers. I don’t think he means perimeter players, not this year anyway . And he plain needs bodies. Batouly could fill a role, but she might never approach her uninjured ability even if she sticks around. Notice that Gordon didn’t get in even in garbage time yesterday.

I've posted this comment many times and in recent games it is being proven correct:
Walker is an outstanding player, as we have seen she's not afraid to attack the basket, hits the 3 open or not, plays decent defense.
I know I'm overboard in my beliefs on CW but all the signs are there (think of DT or Maya as your model)..She hit the Uconn floor playing like a junior. She CAN score big time.
Is learning defense better than many existing Sophs, Jr's. Confidence flows out of every pore. If Geno had 2 more like her ---she'd get 4 NC's, now probably only 3.
If Geno is willing to take a Grad Transfer, it shall be a big and a wing and a PG--OK maybe just one-the big. He doesn't have the luxury of time to teach whoever it is will probably come from ND or Ms St (kidding, I think)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom