Jeff Jacobs: NCAA investigating UConn men | Page 18 | The Boneyard

Jeff Jacobs: NCAA investigating UConn men

Status
Not open for further replies.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Well yeah, but do we have enough faux St John's insiders? For that matter, are there even enough St Johns fans to drum up faux insiders???

This guy is like the Hope Diamond. He's truly a once-in-a-lifetime find...

cursed-Hope-Diamond.jpg
That diamond is cursed. Maybe he is too.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
That diamond is cursed. Maybe he is too.

In all honesty when I read his post, my first reaction wasn't, "Oh my God, could it be true?" My first reaction was, "Hey....a St. John's fan!" It was like discovering that Santa Claus actually did come down my chimney on the 24th of December...

Reaction Score
Hopefully this revolves around offering fake classes because we know there is no NCAA penalty for that.

Reaction Score
Mike Anthony‏ @ManthonyCourant 8m 8 minutes ago
Geno Auriemma on investigation of men's program: "Until somebody tells me what it is and what exactly happened, I don't have any comment or thought. I have no idea what it is, so I'm like everybody else, probably, hoping everything takes care of itself and everything works out."

Mike Anthony‏ @ManthonyCourant 8m 8 minutes ago
Auriemma on UConn brand: "The interesting thing is 10,000 people came to the game today and I bet not one of them cared too much about what was going on [with men's program]. So I think if we continue to put a good product on the floor, on the field, wherever, we'll be OK."

Reaction Score
Instead of blaming St. John's being petty, maybe you guys should blame the $70,000 that lured Sid here.
Um no. LOL. IF they had $70,000 to spend it would have gone to Waters or Diallo. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
For what it's worth, these guys host a CBB pod for Bill Simmons' site The Ringer. Tate Frazier and Mark Titus are the hosts and go as far as to guarantee that a year from now Tom Crean is the next UConn coach. Segment begins at about 31:00. Worth a listen. Some of their rationale is that Crean has rebuilt programs coming off of recruiting violations, i.e. - Indiana in early 2000s, and Crean is currently in CT with ESPN.

Attachments

• IMG_2572.JPG
    IMG_2572.JPG
    208.1 KB · Views: 100
Reaction Score
Investigations? God Help us! I hate the waiting game and the guessing game! I just want to feel good winning games!

Reaction Score
For what it's worth, these guys host a CBB pod for Bill Simmons' site The Ringer. Tate Frazier and Mark Titus are the hosts and go as far as to guarantee that a year from now Tom Crean is the next UConn coach. Segment begins at about 31:00. Worth a listen. Some of their rationale is that Crean has rebuilt programs coming off of recruiting violations, i.e. - Indiana in early 2000s, and Crean is currently in CT with ESPN.
I mean it could be worse but crean??? Hmm

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Might want to hold off on the panic. It doesn’t take 100 hours to tell someone you got paid but it might take 100 hours to try to extract violations during a witch hunt. We’ve been through this stuff before and it is never as bad as we are lead to believe along the way. To this point, we haven’t done any SEC/ACC quality cheating, I doubt we finally started given the talent on our roster.
Maybe Emmert is trying to find out if we have been colluding with the Russians in order to induce enough of their best recruits to come here.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
go as far as to guarantee that a year from now Tom Crean is the next UConn coach. Segment begins at about 31:00. Worth a listen. Some of their rationale is that Crean has rebuilt programs coming off of recruiting violations, i.e. - Indiana in early 2000s, and Crean is currently in CT with ESPN.

If that's true, then the UCONN Athletic Department has learned absolutely nothing from the past 10 years.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Do you know if these guys actually have inside knowledge? Or are just commentators.

That guy seemed certain Crean is the next coach.

Reaction Score
Do you know if these guys actually have inside knowledge? Or are just commentators.

These guys are pretty tuned in though it’s likely just speculation—like 99% of what’s out there. Interesting take nonetheless.

Banta55

Hoops since 86"
Reaction Score

I was thinking the same thing, cleaned up the Kelvin Sampson mess...I'd be happy with him..

Reaction Score

They are both, especially Titus.

However, I think this is pure speculation.

Reaction Score
Crean seems risky. He’s an emotional guy with some detractors out there. I don’t know all the details but a lot of people think he’s a nut. He is a good recruiter and built IU back from nothing pretty quickly. I just don’t understand why he got them back on top and then proceeded to have several bad seasons in a row on the way out. It was weird, like his mojo just suddenly disappeared. At one time, he was a really good coach. He should be in his prime right now.

I think we may keep KO until the investigation is over then assess everything. If we are unsure what the NCAA will find, we might want to keep KO and his recruits in the fold for now if we can. I really don’t want to fire KO and then try to hire someone else if any major sanctions are coming. We would likely get a low profile coach and lose even more players.

Reaction Score
Titus is a funny writer and the other guy is Simmons' glorified assistant. These are not well sourced journalists.

Definitely, but they also definitely have connections.

I don't think the Crean stuff is based on any inside info though

Reaction Score
If that's true, then the UCONN Athletic Department has learned absolutely nothing from the past 10 years.
Crean would probably get us competitive again and if we are hit with sanctions our options will be limited. I don't like him but I think he could at least get us back to trending in the right direction

Reaction Score
Has to be something minor. But with UNC basically getting a slap on the wrist for 18 years of academic fraud, I am sure that our minor incident will result in some crazy harsh penalty.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Crean would be a good choice after the season. Proven success and his experience at IU will help him at his next big gig.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I might sound crazy, but Crean and UConn are both in positions where they need a Hail Mary. Could work out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom