Jeff Jacobs: Kevin Ollie's New Year Might Very Well Start With A New Deal | The Boneyard

Jeff Jacobs: Kevin Ollie's New Year Might Very Well Start With A New Deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
During that 19-0 run KO called a TO and had the team standing on the court while he bellowed his disdain. Came across quite well out of the tv. Just wish I could make out the words. He really woke them up there.

Reaction Score
I could be wrong but IMO - I think WM gave JJ a holiday bone...

Reaction Score
I don't see a wink or a nod from Warde Manual in that column.

Ultimately, Jacobs is on the same road many of our on. Kevin Ollie has been simply right at every component in his first few months. That's what this column is. An affirmation that Ollie is the real deal. Manual? Well, he will feel the undertow & feel like he didn't make the decision.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I've said it before - there is absolutely nothing to worry about with regards to Kevin Ollie and his extension.

Nothing. It's coming.

There are two things that you can stop worrying about. First, UConn getting into the Big Ten. (We're not.) Second, Kevin Ollie getting an extension. (He will.)

On an unrelated note, I think up is now down - Jeff Jacobs is easily my favorite Connecticut sportswriter. Jacobs in a newsroom with some of the other flotsam writing these days is like UConn in this tire fire of a conference.

On a much more related note, personally, I'd like to see Ollie pull the trigger faster on some of his time outs. I was at center court (in my living room) calling for a time out about nine times during Fordham's run.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I could be wrong but IMO - I think WM gave JJ a holiday bone...
I agree. He may not have tipped Jacobs within the past week; but at a minimum I think he gave him a heads up at some point that he was waiting to see the grades, and nothing else has changed. After being on the outs with the program for decades, Jacobs now appears to be a favorite of the administration (and Fishy, too). Herbst praised him during that NPR call in thing the other day, and he's defended Manuel. I don't think Jacobs makes a prediction like this unless he has information beforehand that makes it less of a prediction, and more of leak in disguise.

Still not a fan. I'll take Duffy for actual insight and information of value to me.

Reaction Score
Agree on the time outs Fishy...and he used a bad one at the end of the first half ( i know use it or lose it but still) as they had an outlet and Boat was already in full gear....they had a huge lead just would've rather seen them fly down and get a bucket rather than the awful shot which was the result of the TO......

At one point when 5 guys looked at an accessible defensive rebound during the run by Fordham I was thinking JC would've have put 5 fresh bodies in given the situation.......TO usage will be a learning process........

Reaction Score
As usual, I couldn't make it to the end of a Jacobs column. He picks strawmen arguments, tries to beat them down, and then like punching bags, they come back and whack him in the face. The reason Bilas was calling for a contract immediately is because there's no such thing as an "official" coaching tryout in D1 (well, prior to Ollie's situation, anyway). Mike Davis at Indiana had a contract at least, but he too was an unofficial tryout. Ollie isn't in that category even.

Next strawman: some people say this has hurt recruiting, and those people should have the guts to call for Manuel's firing. Ummmmmmm, Manuel has admitted it has likely hurt recruiting. Should Manuel call for Manuel's firing.

Yet again, Jacobs drives me nuts, so I can't even finish his article.

Reaction Score
I'll never be a fan of Jacobs. I put him in the company of the CBS dbags.

Reaction Score
Yesterday was my first home game of the season and some fans around me were really shouting at Warde to give KO a contract. Warde kind of shook them off, but really audible screams from the crowd.

Reaction Score
I liked it when they showed the kid in the student section with the "KEEP KEVIN " t shirt on.

Crowd gave a nice ovation to that sight.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Agree on the time outs Fishy...and he used a bad one at the end of the first half ( i know use it or lose it but still) as they had an outlet and Boat was already in full gear....they had a huge lead just would've rather seen them fly down and get a bucket rather than the awful shot which was the result of the TO......

At one point when 5 guys looked at an accessible defensive rebound during the run by Fordham I was thinking JC would've have put 5 fresh bodies in given the situation.......TO usage will be a learning process........

KO can't afford a 5 for 5 swap of players. Not even for two possessions. It would be like giving the opponent 4 to 5 points.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
After reading the chronology that Jacobs laid out... got me wondering if Napier's comments might have been motivated by him talking with JC? Or is that what Jacobs wants us to think, without him saying it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom