Jeff Jacobs: Herbst happy UConn ‘back to the place where all the magic happened.’ | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Jeff Jacobs: Herbst happy UConn ‘back to the place where all the magic happened.’

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goatmeat

Puncher of Goats
Reaction Score
To be clear, I wasn't complaining, just commenting that having less than $100k in debt isn't necessarily relatively easy to pay off just because you have a college degree. As far as the pension, honestly I'd rather be paid more and not have a pension when I retire. I could easily have more money in retirement with proper investing. I've done the math. I guess generally retirement is a little earlier... I need to go 35 years to get full pension. But I have friends' parents that retired at the same age in other careers. The health insurance in teaching used to be amazing. It no longer is. I had far better health insurance and paid way less when I worked at an engineering firm before switching careers to teaching. The summers off are great, but my salary is based off of 10 months of working. I don't get paid for the summers.

And again, I fully understood that teachers don't get paid great, and knew that going into it. I became a teacher because it's fun and I love my job. I just felt the need to clarify a few things because a lot of people think being a teacher has better benefits than it actually does. For reference, I work in PA, which is one of the best states for pay and benefits relative to cost of living. I'm not sure how CT compares.
I never said you were complaining - not sure why you got defensive over that point. A college degree is worth what you put into it - if you spend $100K on an art history degree, you are getting robbed - a degree in comp sci and you are good to go. The fact that you have a pension (even though you complain about it) is still more than most could ever hope for in an ideal situation. Since you only work 10 months a year, it’s not valid to complain about only being paid for a job that you have 10 months out of the year. You don’t deserve to get paid for the summers because you are not working. Not sure where your gripe is, and regardless of the comparison between PA and CT, teachers still make a decent amount for the work they provide.

Reaction Score
I never said you were complaining - not sure why you got defensive over that point. A college degree is worth what you put into it - if you spend $100K on an art history degree, you are getting robbed - a degree in comp sci and you are good to go. The fact that you have a pension (even though you complain about it) is still more than most could ever hope for in an ideal situation. Since you only work 10 months a year, it’s not valid to complain about only being paid for a job that you have 10 months out of the year. You don’t deserve to get paid for the summers because you are not working. Not sure where your gripe is, and regardless of the comparison between PA and CT, teachers still make a decent amount for the work they provide.
You state that you aren't accusing him or her of complaining, and then go on to do just that 3 times. If you are just being provocative, then well done. If this is just how you are, however, well, let's just say I feel sorry for anyone who lives with you.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Ollie forced out Ollie sooner than anticipated,

at the time, a lot of us thought we were stuck with Ollie for another year just due to the contract. I think DB deserves some credit for being aggressive.

Reaction Score
Finances are the first priorities for Trustees. BC, Cuse, and Pitt are happy with their position from that high level view.

Alumni and fans have to be disappointed. There is not nearly the magic or interest in the nACC. It’s ok to enjoy their suffering.

If you marry for money, you may have money, but you may not be happy.

Reaction Score
That’s a load of malarkey, but nice spin. The only schools that don’t want us are the usual suspects in our backyard because we are huge threat - Syracuse and BC. VTech, Miami, Miami had no axe to grind. Hell, until the wheels fell off thanks to massive mismanagement, UConn was a rising star in the CFB. Louisville is not a football school either by any definition. I hate the revisionist nonsense.
Former Miami President Donna Shalala hated that UConn sued them. They and BC are the two schools that initially let the charge against UConn. The others then fell in line.

Reaction Score
Former Miami President Donna Shalala hated that UConn sued them. They and BC are the two schools that initially let the charge against UConn. The others then fell in line.
Miami and BCU had no real power in the ACC. They still don't. Miami had enough bargaining power to bring BCU into the ACC hidden in their butt. But once inside the conference. Neither carried any weight.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't say many parents are sending their kids to out-of-state/private over UConn. Some are. They are more likely to send them to a CCSU or an ECSU. It's difficult to get into UConn nowadays...and it used to be a backup school.
And what are you calling a "bargain?" At $31K for in-state, UConn IS a bargain, especially when compared to private degrees in CT and big publics in the region. UMass out-of-state is about $35K, and the education is essentially the same. UVM is like $40K. UNH, $34K. URI, $31K. And forget about sending a kid to the Alabama's, LSU's, or Wyoming's of the world. Privates in CT are super expensive, and UConn is a better education than all of them except for Yale, Trinity, Wesleyan, and Conn College.
I have always felt that although CT costs a little more (to be educated here, and to live here), we get what we pay for. I was raised in CT, and so was my wife. We both went to school in CT, and we will never leave - it's the best state IMO.
My point is Connecticut residents pay far too much for in state tuition for Uconn. Schools with better academic reputations charge far less for their in -state tuition. UNC Chapel Hill is about 10k in state for tuition. We pay high taxes and the tuition is slated to go up 25% in the next 4 years. We should demand cost controls. Graduating with a 100k debt from a State school is crazy.....

Reaction Score
I'm not sure what teachers ever did to you but I promise they're good people and we need them, despite what you think

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
My point is Connecticut residents pay far too much for in state tuition for Uconn. Schools with better academic reputations charge far less for their in -state tuition. UNC Chapel Hill is about 10k in state for tuition. We pay high taxes and the tuition is slated to go up 25% in the next 4 years. We should demand cost controls. Graduating with a 100k debt from a State school is crazy.....
Last I checked, in-state tuition at UConn was like $13K. I mis-spoke/mis-typed in my above response, and I apologize for that. Got my numbers reversed. Perhaps that's where this confusion stems from. $31K is the out-of-state sticker price, and almost no one pays full for either. The school I went to had a crazy high sticker price, and basically zero people paid it. I surely didn't pay anywhere close to sticker price for my degree.

You only listed one school - UNC. I want to know how many state schools actually offer the expected value, for in-state, that a UNC or a UConn offer. I'm guessing not many. And it's all relative. A University of North Dakota degree costs less, but it's worth less (not to be confused with worthless). Would you say that $13K in-state is too expensive? I'd say that's a steal.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
UCONN didn't get into the ACC for 3 simple reasons

1.) Loyalty. We were the most loyal school to the Big East, its in our DNA as Huskies. We seek to build not destroy, betray, and leave when the going gets tough. This was to our detriment in this situation.

2.) We didn't sell or market ourselves to the ACC, but relied strictly on our athletic success to make the decision for them.

3.) Past grievances and politics conspired to punish us for being the new kid on the block seeking to take the throne from the established planters of athletics. For not kissing the ring, and accepting ESPN's and the ACC's plot to destroy the BIG EAST so casually.

PS: In the end, UCONN will be victorious. Justice will be served to ESPN, the ACC, and our traitorous comrades. It will probably look like this:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
True for Round 1, but FSU lead the charge for Round 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom