Jeff Jacobs: Edsall has no time to time to look back at UConn’s past mistakes... | The Boneyard

Jeff Jacobs: Edsall has no time to time to look back at UConn’s past mistakes...

Reaction Score
This is spot on however.

Jordan Swann left. Brice McAllister left. Nate Hopkins left. Seniors graduated and didn’t use a fifth available year. Sometimes Edsall makes it sound like somebody held a gun to his head and forced him to start 18-year-olds. He is building the program in his image and likeness. His program decisions lead to his team decisions. Own it.

I maintain Hopkins is better than the other two backs.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
This is spot on however.

Jordan Swann left. Brice McAllister left. Nate Hopkins left. Seniors graduated and didn’t use a fifth available year. Sometimes Edsall makes it sound like somebody held a gun to his head and forced him to start 18-year-olds. He is building the program in his image and likeness. His program decisions lead to his team decisions. Own it.

I maintain Hopkins is better than the other two backs.

Hopkins is at least more effective than Scott. And McAllister or John robinson or swann would be better starting CBs than who we’ve got. Sometimes Randy seems like such an autocrat, to a point that it hurts our program. His attitude is dangerous—it worked last time around but is the kind of outlook that could wear thin on players quickly if there aren’t results. I think he’ll be okay, but that’s worth noting. We could have been better this year if he didn’t run a hand full of guys out of town for unknown reasons

Reaction Score
It’s nice that Jacobs is already telling Randy to skip the excuses. At the same time, he seems to be willing to give him 5 years to win. I’m not really sure what Jacobs expects. I think if it takes you more than two complete seasons to turn the corner and become pretty good (7-5 or so) you might not be up to it. We’ve seen an awful lot of quick turnarounds in the last 5 years. These young, offensive minded coaches win very quickly these days. The way Lashlee was able to make the ball move right away last year, you have to wonder what a great DC might accomplish with these guys.

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
Jacobs is 100% on the money here. Yes the talent level is down but that’s not an excuse to be putrid.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
The defense we have is not a FBS level defense right now. Teams we play against have had players in their S&C programs for years and we have had guys who have been in ours for weeks. 18 yo strength and speed is not 21-22 yo strength and speed. Yes, that sounds like an excuse but it is what it is. I am just hoping this squad stays mentally tough and continues to compete through every game until the end of the season. Show a little life - similar to TJ Weist's last 3 games - so that there is *some* reason to hold .001% optimism going into next year. A little excitement to energize next offseason's S&C program and carry it into 2019.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Diaco went to a bowl game his second season. He wasn't making excuses two games in.

Reaction Score
He’s 2 games into the second season. Let’s take a smell test in November. But, eight years in, the whole “cupboard is bare, we are too young, they aren’t my guys, they’re too big , they’re too small, theyte too slow, they aren’t athletes, it’s too hard to recruit, it’s a new system, it’s a culture change ” litany of BS excuses need to be seen for what they are. I still think if we just stuck with Weist, we would have come out the other side in good shape.

Reaction Score
He’s 2 games into the second season. Let’s take a smell test in November. But, eight years in, the whole “cupboard is bare, we are too young, they aren’t my guys, they’re too big , they’re too small, theyte too slow, they aren’t athletes, it’s too hard to recruit, it’s a new system, it’s a culture change ” litany of BS excuses need to be seen for what they are. I still think if we just stuck with Weist, we would have come out the other side in good shape.
Or hired Don Brown or Joe Moorhead. Whatever though. I said yesterday I hope he got it out his system. This board doesn't generally go after individual players. Randy was more viscous on the ability of the current players than this board has ever been.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Randy was more viscous on the ability of the current players than this board has ever been.

I'm sure this was a calculated decision.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
This is not new.

If Randy Edsall thinks his players are not very good, he will tell you that his players are not very good.

Go back to 2000 when we were getting killed by Middle Tennessee and Ball State and Randy came out and basically said exactly what he said yesterday. (Eerily, we played and lost to Rhode Island in between those two massacres.)

I don't actually care - if there is one group of people more convinced of their own genius than message board posters, it's college football coaches. They're just not worth listening to.

But I do agree with some of the folks above - it's okay to gripe, but surely some of the guys who left could have helped. This 'winning with the right guys' is a great mantra, but it makes life very hard during a rebuild. Maybe try to fix some of the guys who would instead have been driven out of town in better days.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

Weist earned 3 wins against terrible teams on the backs of a QB who suffered a career-ending injury one game into the next season. The five losses were pretty stinkerific too.

Weist tried his hardest, and those wins were great to watch, but there is absolutely no way anyone can look at that sample and say Weist would’ve had us in “good shape.” The fact that the guy after him sucked doesn’t make him better.

Reaction Score
This is not new.

If Randy Edsall thinks his players are not very good, he will tell you that his players are not very good.

Go back to 2000 when we were getting killed by Middle Tennessee and Ball State and Randy came out and basically said exactly what he said yesterday. (Eerily, we played and lost to Rhode Island in between those two massacres.)

I don't actually care - if there is one group of people more convinced of their own genius than message board posters, it's college football coaches. They're just not worth listening to.

But I do agree with some of the folks above - it's okay to gripe, but surely some of the guys who left could have helped. This 'winning with the right guys' is a great mantra, but it makes life very hard during a rebuild. Maybe try to fix some of the guys who would instead have been driven out of town in better days.
1-31, against ranked teams doesn't scream coaching genius. Even P got one here against Teddy B and Louisville. I don't care either except that he's making excuses, talking about succession plans, and going to the mattresses for his kid to work here. Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but just coach the kids here.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
1-31, against ranked teams doesn't scream coaching genius. Even P got one here against Teddy B and Louisville. I don't care either except that he's making excuses, talking about succession plans, and going to the mattresses for his kid to work here. Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but just coach the kids here.

What I'm saying is don't listen.

Reaction Score
Diaco went to a bowl game his second season. He wasn't making excuses two games in.

Diaco also took a huge step backward in 2016 and he was in the midst of a horrifying recruiting class when fired.

Special teams, offense and recruiting have been improved under Edsall, the defense has been worse but lets not forget how terribly difficult the schedule has been for Edsall's defense facing many high powered offenses with outstanding QB's. Diaco also guided us to several blowout losses at the end of 2016.

Oh and BTW red pants was full of excuses.

Edsall > Diaco and his over-inflated salary.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think he's trying to get players who'll be around for Indiana and Illinois as much experience as possible.

Total ground up rebuild. Except at QB. For now.

So each coach we've had during the FBS era has 1 top 25 win each? That Houston win might have been Diaco's best game as a coach, obviously.

Reaction Score
Yes, the difference between Boise State’s 818 offensive yards and UConn’s 193 is the largest of any major college game in the 21st century.

So, here we have the worst performance in the 21st century. Is that because we played a lot of freshmen? Did we play more freshmen than any other team in the 21st century? Do we have the worst talent of any college team in the 21st century?

Or is it time for Edsall to put together a game plan that works (or at least helps the kids be competitive). One with more than a base defense and 12 offensive plays. Time for Randy to look in the mirror.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Yes, the difference between Boise State’s 818 offensive yards and UConn’s 193 is the largest of any major college game in the 21st century.

So, here we have the worst performance in the 21st century. Is that because we played a lot of freshmen? Did we play more freshmen than any other team in the 21st century? Do we have the worst talent of any college team in the 21st century?

Or is it time for Edsall to put together a game plan that works (or at least helps the kids be competitive). One with more than a base defense and 12 offensive plays. Time for Randy to look in the mirror.

So, you think a different game plan would have made the team more competitive against Boise?

Reaction Score
So, you think a different game plan would have made the team more competitive against Boise?
Absolutely. No question. Not a doubt in my mind. I think Diaco would have done better with the defense.

Look back to the UCF game. How many times did Edsall leave Paul on an island versus a UCF WR? He almost never gave him help even after it was obvious that UCF was targeting him. It's borders n malfeasance.

Reaction Score
So, to be clear, had some of the aforementioned guys stayed, we would have only lost to UCF by 30? And held Boise to 700 yards? Some of the folks questioning his message were the same bemoaning the recruiting of the very kids he references. Typically, complaining for the sake of complaining is not a productive exercise. Clean the house, bring in your guys, take some lumps and get this frigging thing right by '20. And if the school truly is committed to seeing this thru, extend his unsigned contract by a year.

Reaction Score
So, to be clear, had some of the aforementioned guys stayed, we would have only lost to UCF by 30? And held Boise to 700 yards? Some of the folks questioning his message were the same bemoaning the recruiting of the very kids he references. Typically, complaining for the sake of complaining is not a productive exercise. Clean the house, bring in your guys, take some lumps and get this frigging thing right by '20. And if the school truly is committed to seeing this thru, extend his unsigned contract by a year.
Better is better.

Worst in the century is worst in the century.

Reaction Score
Weist earned 3 wins against terrible teams on the backs of a QB who suffered a career-ending injury one game into the next season. The five losses were pretty stinkerific too.

Weist tried his hardest, and those wins were great to watch, but there is absolutely no way anyone can look at that sample and say Weist would’ve had us in “good shape.” The fact that the guy after him sucked doesn’t make him better.

The team was manifestly better by the end of the season and that means something. It’s the only stretch I can recall where there was clear and observable improvement. But the past is past.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom