Jeff Jacobs: Edsall has no time to time to look back at UConn’s past mistakes... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Jeff Jacobs: Edsall has no time to time to look back at UConn’s past mistakes...

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
My biggest takeaway from that column: I'm worried about Jacobs, he didn't drop a "From Mystic to Milford" line in the entire thing, is he ok?

Reaction Score
Weist earned 3 wins against terrible teams on the backs of a QB who suffered a career-ending injury one game into the next season. The five losses were pretty stinkerific too.

Weist tried his hardest, and those wins were great to watch, but there is absolutely no way anyone can look at that sample and say Weist would’ve had us in “good shape.” The fact that the guy after him sucked doesn’t make him better.
Interesting thought. Weist, and keeping the majority of that staff and system, would have certainly done better than red pants.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
The team was manifestly better by the end of the season and that means something. It’s the only stretch I can recall where there was clear and observable improvement. But the past is past.

Their opponents were also manifestly worse by the end of the season.

Reaction Score
Check his first two games at MSU and you'll see you're right.

He's winning with QBs going 42% completion rate, but the offense is also averaging 40 something points per game so far. Definitely dropped the ball on that one

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Jacobs is much better now, freed from the Courant. Good for him.

As for Randy, I understood the hire, and get what he's doing, but damn. Belichick is fond of saying you are what your record says you are. I think that's true. We played last year with few RE recruits. This year he's playing all his guys. It is a season that is being played as one long training camp. It's being sacrificed to the altar of future success. I hope it works.

I hope these are some really mentally tough young men, because their confidence has to be shaken. In themselves, in the scheme, in the coaches. They need to see some results in the same way we need to see some results, in order to continue to believe.

Reaction Score
Or hired Don Brown or Joe Moorhead. Whatever though. I said yesterday I hope he got it out his system. This board doesn't generally go after individual players. Randy was more viscous on the ability of the current players than this board has ever been.

I thought about this last year when I saw how quick the offense turned around. What would have happened if they went after Don Brown for HC and he hired some offense minded coach like Rhett. May not have had to pay him a ton more than we are RE since his family is around here and obviously in the late stages of his career. But then you go down the rabbit hole of who to hire once he retires. Would we have been competitive or would it have been the same? Unfortunately.. it's a whole bunch of hypotheticals. Could have been interesting to see play out. Could have also been the same scenario we're in now. So who knows?

Reaction Score
Absolutely. No question. Not a doubt in my mind. I think Diaco would have done better with the defense.

Look back to the UCF game. How many times did Edsall leave Paul on an island versus a UCF WR? He almost never gave him help even after it was obvious that UCF was targeting him. It's borders n malfeasance.
That’s on Crocker...the guy is a dope.

Reaction Score
Diaco went to a bowl game his second season. He wasn't making excuses two games in.

In fairness, not sure it was officially the 2d game of the 2d season - if I recall, we had a couple of games in Y1 we recharacterized as scrimmages

C

Chief00

He’s 2 games into the second season. Let’s take a smell test in November. But, eight years in, the whole “cupboard is bare, we are too young, they aren’t my guys, they’re too big , they’re too small, theyte too slow, they aren’t athletes, it’s too hard to recruit, it’s a new system, it’s a culture change ” litany of BS excuses need to be seen for what they are. I still think if we just stuck with Weist, we would have come out the other side in good shape.

Agree on TJ, he’s been the best head coach the last several years. Brown and Lashlee the best coordinators.

Reaction Score
Absolutely. No question. Not a doubt in my mind. I think Diaco would have done better with the defense.

Look back to the UCF game. How many times did Edsall leave Paul on an island versus a UCF WR? He almost never gave him help even after it was obvious that UCF was targeting him. It's borders n malfeasance.

Didn’t Fiasco do that to Summers against Cuse? The only way to keep the Boise Offense off the field would have been to burn as much clock as possible when we had the ball. Can you imagine the board reaction if we went to a slow moving offense.

Reaction Score
Sounds like he read one of my earlier posts:

"I disagree. If team wins 2 games HCRE should be coaching for his job in year 3. Preseason Massey ratings for 6 worst opponents are 188, 121, 108, 106, 91, and 86 with 4 of those at home. UCF is at #12 while the other 5 opponents average about #48 with the best at 37. This is a schedule that should never get only 2 victories.
Enough pre season excuses. Talent last year was better than team played. HCRE coached last year with an eye for the future (defensive scheme in spite of type talent had) so future starts this year.
This team needs to score, not just move ball for 400 yards a game. This team needs to put pressure on opponents QB, not have 3 slow guys chasing QB and so many defenders in no man's land guarding no one.
His job is to win games. So, start winning. This is not year one, this is year 2. Teams are supposed to take a big step up in performance the 2nd year with a new coaching staff, get it done. "

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Their opponents were also manifestly worse by the end of the season.
"Beat the guys you are supposed to beat."

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom