Jeff Jacobs: Dan Hurley loves UConn fans, just not those Twitter “crazies” | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Jeff Jacobs: Dan Hurley loves UConn fans, just not those Twitter “crazies”

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
I’m just happy we have a coach smart enough to take something small and turn it into fuel for team building. JC used to do this too. The best way to unify a group is to pit them against an outside force.

But if Dan comes after the Boneyard I have a simple message for him. You don’t get what we’re trying to do here. You think because you occasionally go on Twitter or maybe Reddit that you understand the boneyard? You don’t. Do you think we’re going anywhere this year without the mojo? Who won it all in 11, Kemba? Muppet.

I know you think you understand the meaning behind a frowny faced T shirt, but you should probably leave it to the professionals.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Heck, these could be fans of other teams posting this.

I don't doubt this, and believe it was certainly the case in the last two years before the coaching change was made.

That also strikes me as an good argument in favor of better fan behavior, and less upset when someone pushes back on excessive negativity. The reality that other fan bases do it or do it worse doesn't make me go, "Oh wow, so it's ok... "

Even Jacobs identifies the worst of it as a very small percentage. I have no objection to it being kept that way.

Mean what you say
Say what you mean
But don't say it mean

And surely don't complain or whine if you do say it mean and somebody responds in kind.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I’m surprised Hurley is making this big of a deal out of it. Has Hurley ever seen SEC football twitter? There are thousands of people bad mouthing teenagers, calling for coaches heads on their own teams. Uconn Twitter is tame imo.
And you accept UConn fans to be idiots like that?
Makes one wonder who did some of the shameful tweeting

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I’m just happy we have a coach smart enough to take something small and turn it into fuel for team building. JC used to do this too. The best way to unify a group is to pit them against an outside force.

But if Dan comes after the Boneyard I have a simple message for him. You don’t get what we’re trying to do here. You think because you occasionally go on Twitter or maybe Reddit that you understand the boneyard? You don’t. Do you think we’re going anywhere this year without the mojo? Who won it all in 11, Kemba? Muppet.

I know you think you understand the meaning behind a frowny faced T shirt, but you should probably leave it to the professionals.
This is the year that Post-to-Like ratio gets a companion metric: Like-to-Dislike ratio.

Last edited:

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Don't disagree about other fan bases in all college sports. Some of what Hurley is referencing is in Hurley's tweet below - expand a couple of comments and you'll see there are a few pure UConn fans that are proud of it.

He misspelled grind.

Reaction Score
Jeff Jacobs is everything the phrase "OK Boomer" is meant to destroy.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
He's a tremendous d1khead.

Be careful, he reads the Boneyard. He’s gonna get his roundtable with Joe Zone and our buddy DiMauro back together to discuss message board discourse and read posts again like they did on that stupid CPTV show a few years back.

Reaction Score
Can you all lay off Chief for calling Alterique a great kid.
Great character, hard work and commitment make a great kid, not shooting percentage or turnover stats. Lets hope AG comes out of his slump and starts playing good basketball.

Reaction Score
Chief took a few incoming shots when I called Gilbert a “great kid” in my Briefs - and then doubled and tripled down on it. But, Coach Hurley is correct the likes to total reaction was at 88%. It’s just that the small handful of negative guys - but they just keep repeating themselves and trying to steal the narrative. I am thrilled Dan Hurley called them out. Go Huskies!
Um,........what?? Exactly what is the 88% a reference to?? The % of the time you are annoying?? Or the % of the time you are wrong?? Just curious. Asking on behalf of the casual fans.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
On a side bar, does anyone know if Calhoun tweets?

In the toxic, divisive environment we live in today, I'm going to suggest it may be best to stay away from Twitter unless you can take the heat.

One of life's lessons I like to teach. Be yourself, be a good person, do the right thing and let the chips fall where they may. You can't please everyone, don't bother trying. Sometimes people are going to disappoint you, that's OK. Be proud of the person you are and you never have to worry about what idiots think.

You can't control what everyone does or says, you can control yourself and your reaction. Sometimes people just need thicker skin.

Reaction Score
On a side bar, does anyone know if Calhoun tweets?

In the toxic, divisive environment we live in today, I'm going to suggest it may be best to stay away from Twitter unless you can take the heat.

One of life's lessons I like to teach. Be yourself, be a good person, do the right thing and let the chips fall where they may. You can't please everyone, don't bother trying. Sometimes people are going to disappoint you, that's OK. Be proud of the person you are and you never have to worry about what idiots think.

You can't control what everyone does or says, you can control yourself and your reaction. Sometimes people just need thicker skin.

Has nothing to do with having a “thicker skin.” It’s fine advice, maybe relevant if Gilbert was the one firing back, but that’s not what is going on here. It would be a bad look if the coach was firing back about stuff said about him (he’s not. he also really doesn’t care at all about that). The focus is becoming social media, but that’s just a small part of this.

It’s been addressed and is pretty much a non-issue at this point, but I guess he had to get his article off.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Don't disagree about other fan bases in all college sports. Some of what Hurley is referencing is in Hurley's tweet below - expand a couple of comments and you'll see there are a few pure UConn fans that are proud of it.

so much Jon Rothstein in Danny Hurley

Reaction Score
It’s been addressed and is pretty much a non-issue at this point, but I guess he had to get his article off.

It's ok NJ, we all know that Some Guy's a windbag. But he also had the tweet that (with the assist to tcf) started the 219 page thread that ended in confirmation of Dan Hurley coming to UConn, so we can't hate on him but so much.

Reaction Score
Lol loved the “epitome of brutality” reference

but yeah he doesn’t know what goes on here. This is his spring of mojo. He should know to not poison it

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
And #nevercheifers.
#neverchiefers

I like it, as a companion to Chaters, though we're also seeing energy shifts now that there's the Dislike button, threatened & real administrative intervention, and other chilling behaviors to slow the pace of internal bickering.

If the team continues to grow like we've seen in November, and as the program gets healthier, we can shift to being rude toward other teams, and not each other or the players.

Then, maybe it will be enough to just chant,
"SFA, SFA, SFA."

Reaction Score
Social media ruined the world.
Social media ironically is having the opposite effect of what it first intended, which was to obviously bring people together. I work in a university setting with kids and we are all aware of the negative effects it's having on their mental health. Depression and suicide is soaring in the last decade w teens and some of that has to do w social media. Dan knows that, this goes beyond just basketball. It may only be the 1% but it is a screaming, semi permanent and very public 1%

C

Chief00

Calling someone out on bad conduct done through an alias - isn’t whining - it’s leadership. Disliking every post someone has ever made is the definition of whining.

C

Chief00

Um,........what?? Exactly what is the 88% a reference to?? The % of the time you are annoying?? Or the % of the time you are wrong?? Just curious. Asking on behalf of the casual fans.

50 Likes/ 57 Total Reactions (likes and dislikes) = 88%. Math facts.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom