Jeff Jacobs Conveying our sentiments... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Jeff Jacobs Conveying our sentiments...

Reaction Score
Kemba or Amida or Taliek (smile wise) are not coming through the door.

Neither are fans.

You Ollie disciples don't seem to get it. No fans equals no job. As soon as the AD can figure out how to escape financially, this is done. But I will say that it may take time and KO has that time to turn it around. Some of us just don't believe that is likely to happen.

Reaction Score
Neither are fans.

You Ollie disciples don't seem to get it. No fans equals no job. As soon as the AD can figure out how to escape financially, this is done. But I will say that it may take time and KO has that time to turn it around. Some of us just don't believe that is likely to happen.
Chicks are all world team and their attendance is way down from the golden years. You know I'm an Ollie disciple, like I know you are a racist for trying to get a white AD to fire a black coach 'cause he isn't as good as the old white guy he replaced.

Reaction Score
Yet to start napalming him after a 5-2 start, man, that's harsh. To start napalming the entire team after seven games, man, that's unfair. There are lots and lots of chances for something good to happen to this team. And maybe it will. If it doesn't, well, March can bring a different story.

Jeff can be a contrarian, but I think that's a good thing in a columnist. He's voiced what some have said here, including me, that there is plenty of time to throw up your hands in frustration in February. But I will fully admit, after the first half, I wasn't feeling so comfortable with that position. Hopefully, this will be a lesson learned kind of game and the team will play with more intensity. That would be a big plus. I wish KO would have the kids work on more set pieces to change things up that involve something other than ISO and attack.
I like Jacobs as he was the only writer with the balls to challenge Calhoun. JC, like most coaches was a control freak and Jacobs provided a contrarian point of view.

Reaction Score
It was done with love, although I'm sure it didn't seem that way at the time.
Bull. JC did it out of his own anger and frustration. There was no love involved.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Not sure how much Jeff Jacobs wants to hear about UConn barely beating a 1-4 Columbia team at home, in a game that went to overtime against a squad ranked #190 in the latest Sagarin rankings.

Not sure how much Jeff Jacobs wants to hear about Kevin Ollie sitting idle last week, watching a once proud program take the biggest beating in 40 years in an apathetic effort in a national tournament.

What? Are we being too negative for you, Jeff Jacobs? Yeah, listen to the Boneyard sing, "It's the end of the world, as we know it, Its the end of the world as we know it, and I feel fine."

Sure, UConn never struggled or lost games against basketball programs with a fraction of their resources, budget, and reputation for developing talent. Jim Calhoun instilled a toughness and attitude that willed his teams to victory.

Well, Jim Calhoun isn't walking through that door. And no one should expect any coach to achieve on the same level of the one of the greatest basketball coaches that ever lived. But it also doesn't mean we should accept this.

To give Ollie another pass after a 5-2 start that included struggles against mediocre (at best) basketball teams and an embarrassing no show - man, that's generous. Especially from a writer who was outspoken about Ollie's commitment and approach after the departures last season.

Sure, the kids deserve to tell their story. But they don't "deserve" to do so in front of lots of fans. Before you critique Husky Nation for quitting on the program in November, you should hold the Head Coach and players to that same standard - especially when they quit during the middle of a nationally televised blowout. You want unconditional support and praise, take the stairs and earn it - unless that no longer applies either.
Do you remember what happened the 2000 2001 season? Let me jog your memory. After the first championship UConn in 1999-2000 made it to the second round of the NCAAs and were eliminated by Tennessee. It was a 25-10 season and fourth place finish in the BE but disappointing after the championship the previous year.

In 2000-2001 UConn finished sixth out of seventh in the East division of the BE (first season of divisions) and did not get an NCAA bid. They went to the NIT and the first two rounds of UConn's games were held at Gampel. Most of the arena was empty for both games. UConn lost in the second round to Detroit. Fans did not hold back their displeasure to JC and the team after that season. Many expressed an opinion that JC was a one hit wonder. That was the reason why JC seriously considered going to South Carolina when the season concluded.

Face it. Fans are just as much a problem as the product they criticize. Most football stadiums are sold out in the SEC regardless of the teams success. They insist on performance just as much as you and the people who are negative in this forum. But they show up and stay at games regardless of what's happening during the game or during the season. They want to win but they leave the decision to the AD's. I lived in SC for ten years and you couldn't get a ticket for either Clemson or South Carolina. Both those teams were little sisters in their respective conferences for most of the time I was there. And both struggled. They had a number of coaching changes but the fans did their job. The Northeast fans outside of PSU and maybe Syracuse are lousy fans by comparison and a good part of the reason why conferences are not in a rush to include teams from this region.

I'm no fan of JJ. But the pushback I see in this forum, the whining and quitters attitude from many who come here time and again to express and worse justify their behavior even as they are unable to condone that attitude in KO or the players, is a problem whether you are comfortable with hearing it or not.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I like Jacobs as he was the only writer with the balls to challenge Calhoun. JC, like most coaches was a control freak and Jacobs provided a contrarian point of view.
Not so much. Jeff was butt hurt because Jeff Calhoun used to laugh at him openly. That was the thing that really ruffled Jacob's skirt.
Bull. JC did it out of his own anger and frustration. There was no love involved.
Maybe but it was anger and frustration aimed at getting best play. It the end the best statement of Calhoun's relationship with his players while they were at UConn is his relationship with them after they left. People sure seem to show up for him and sing his praises unsolicited.

Reaction Score
Not so much. Jeff was butt hurt because Jeff Calhoun used to laugh at him openly. That was the thing that really ruffled Jacob's skirt.

Maybe but it was anger and frustration aimed at getting best play. It the end the best statement of Calhoun's relationship with his players while they were at UConn is his relationship with them after they left. People sure seem to show up for him and sing his praises unsolicited.
The two have nothing to do with each other. Anger, frustration and screaming at his players have nothing to do with love. Now he cared deeply for his kids and the loyalty of his players is testament to that. JC was wound tight and when a player screwed up he went ballistic. It was just the way JC was put together and some of what we liked about him.
Don't get why anyone would care what Jeff Calhoun did.

C

Chief00

Down by 7? I still remember the technical he got in Chestnut Hill in a huge game to end the regular season in (I think) '03 while we were opening the game with a 14-0 run.
In Jim’s World just don’t call BC a rival - how could they be a rival? - we beat them 22 times in a row!

C

Chief00

Jacobs would throw a hissy fit. He wasn’t even remotely on JC’s level to seriously challenge him on anything.

Reaction Score
Jeff Jacobs: Empty Seats, Full Anger From UConn Fans

"While it is impossible to canvas every UConn fan, social media certainly does send some loud messages. And Twitter and message boards have been very, very loud and nasty in recent days with dissatisfaction about Kevin Ollie and the UConn basketball program. You know what sends an even louder message? Hundreds and hundreds of empty seats. "

"Well, Jim Calhoun isn't walking through that door. In fact, the former coach left during the second half. One fewer seat filled."
Very fair article. I usually disagree with him, but unless I parse or dig deep, I can’t this time.

Yes, empty seats speak volumes. Yes, the offense has looked flat. Yes, the Oregon loss looked good, the MSU game showed where we were against a top team, and Arkansas was a stink bomb.

And now 3800 (or was it 6800? Article mentions two numbers), show up to see a gritty win against a team that has no business thinking they could win.

It is 7 games in, one bad loss, a weak and predictable offense, and injuries galore. It’s early for sure.

But, our thoughts aren’t ‘Ollie needs to keep this up’... it’s ‘ollie Needs to right the course’. Wins for Uconn count. But winning with swagger against top teams are the expectation. Anything less doesn’t warrant my attendance.

Good article.

C

Chief00

Very fair article. I usually disagree with him, but unless I parse or dig deep, I can’t this time.

Yes, empty seats speak volumes. Yes, the offense has looked flat. Yes, the Oregon loss looked good, the MSU game showed where we were against a top team, and Arkansas was a stink bomb.

And now 3800 (or was it 6800? Article mentions two numbers), show up to see a gritty win against a team that has no business thinking they could win.

It is 7 games in, one bad loss, a weak and predictable offense, and injuries galore. It’s early for sure.

But, our thoughts aren’t ‘Ollie needs to keep this up’... it’s ‘ollie Needs to right the course’. Wins for Uconn count. But winning with swagger against top teams are the expectation. Anything less doesn’t warrant my attendance.

Good article.

I hear you but as a fan you don’t get a pass either - showing up only if we get a win against an elite team - sounds pretty entitled. You need to step up a little.

Reaction Score

Good article.

3,800 fans, 6,800 empty seats

Reaction Score
I hear you but as a fan you don’t get a pass either - showing up only if we get a win against an elite team - sounds pretty entitled. You need to step up a little.
Talk about entitlement, a team who plays "I'm gonna be in the NBA someday" offense and matador defense isn't entitled to fans in the seats.

This isn't the rec, it's big time cbb, the coach is over 3m per year, his special agent in charge of recruiting is raking a 6 figure salary.
You want to pine for the good ol days when you and 250 of your closest friends sat in the field house and cheered on the campus studs be my guest, I'm currently supporting the next head coach

C

Chief00

Talk about entitlement, a team who plays "I'm gonna be in the NBA someday" offense and matador defense isn't entitled to fans in the seats.

This isn't the rec, it's big time cbb, the coach is over 3m per year, his special agent in charge of recruiting is raking a 6 figure salary.
You want to pine for the good ol days when you and 250 of your closest friends sat in the field house and cheered on the campus studs be my guest, I'm currently supporting the next head coach
It’s a college team, cheer on your school. If you were better informed you would know I collaborated on the Blaze principles that address some of the recruiting issues we faced. But, I agree things are interconnected and other issues need to be addressed as well. But, unlike you, I have actually done something.

Reaction Score
It’s a college team, cheer on your school. If you were better informed you would know I collaborated on the Blaze principles that address some of the recruiting issues we faced. But, I agree things are interconnected and other issues need to be addressed as well. But, unlike you, I have actually done something.

Aren't you one of the guys who thought adding Chillious to the staff from Washington would improve the team somehow? How's that game preparation looking to you these days?

C

Chief00

Aren't you one of the guys who thought adding Chillious to the staff from Washington would improve the team somehow? How's that game preparation looking to you these days?

He has helped a great deal with recruiting in a short time. That was where I thought he would help the most. Also, I think he has improved team morale. It has not quite frankly manifested it to team play on the court. I know these are nuances to new fans but keep asking questions. Best Regards, Chief

Reaction Score
Jeff Jacobs being mad at UConn fans for not showing up to watch a poor product on the court is like being mad at businesses for leaving this dying state. Make a change, improve the current situation and people will come to the games. Not everyone is a die hard loyal fan, you have to make people want to come to the games.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
What?!? If that was the case the 20+ past players wouldnt have showed up at his HOF ceremony. They all love JC.

Go peddle your fake news somewhere else bro, I hear syracusefan.com has some openings

Reaction Score
I go to games. I am not going to lie. I don't have much interest in going to see UConn play Columbia. Throw Yale, BU, and Quinnipiac in that group as well.

I didn't go to those games 20 years ago, and I'm not going now. If that makes me less of a fan, so be it. I don't owe UConn anything. If I'm driving to CT and buying tickets, it's gonna be a game I want to be at. And right now, there aren't many games I want to be at. Sorry to say.

Reaction Score
I'm really sorry, but UConn isn't my school. I grew up in CT, followed the program and have been a fan since.
I really don't think fans need to justify their fanhood, nor do we need to be lectured about what you've done.
Get over yourself.

C

Chief00

I go to games. I am not going to lie. I don't have much interest in going to see UConn play Columbia. Throw Yale, BU, and Quinnipiac in that group as well.

I didn't go to those games 20 years ago, and I'm not going now. If that makes me less of a fan, so be it. I don't owe UConn anything. If I'm driving to CT and buying tickets, it's gonna be a game I want to be at. And right now, there aren't many games I want to be at. Sorry to say.

I think you have revealed yourself. There is nothing further that needs to be said.

Reaction Score
What?!? If that was the case the 20+ past players wouldnt have showed up at his HOF ceremony. They all love JC.

Go peddle your fake news somewhere else bro, I hear syracusefan.com has some openings
You have a reading disability. I was talking about the moment JC would go off not how he felt about his players overall but you are too dumb to get it. I never said JC's players didn't love him, in fact I said just the opposite.You obviously didn't read the entire post. Either that or you are just stupid.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom