Jeff Jacobs article on the new facility | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Jeff Jacobs article on the new facility

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Have you looked up the numbers of which Ray and Emeka have given and raised for their charitable funds such as Juvenile Diabetes and such? I'm quite sure the donations from many of the mens players for many of the charities including the Jim and Pat Calhoun Foundation among others far outweigh what the women have made in their careers. This is by no means a shot to the women but instead to yours and Jeff Jacobs homework on our guys!!

The full story usually helps.
Sorry to disagree. I suspect the powers that be at UCONN disagree also but can't speak publicly. I have followed a similar thread on the men's board and its pure bull. It's great that these ex players support lots of worthwhile organizations. However in todays world each college and university is fighting for every dollar.
Having been involved with a small college in fundraising, I can assure you that each University needs money for its programs. It is UCONN that gave these players the opportunity for a free education and a national stage to play on, etc. , not Juvenile Diabetes or some other charity. . We can argue for a long time about weather they should be paid or not, but the fact is, they got a free ride and a ticket to a big time job through their UCONN visability that other students do not.
I have a suggestion for all of you who want to give the men's team a pass because they lend their name to other organizations. The next time UCONN calls on a fund raiser, tell them you do your part by raising funds for American Heart or some such and see what UCONN says..

Reaction Score
Jerky thing for him to do if true. But then Calhoun has never been mistaken for having class....
That's not why he wasn't there.

It amazes me how a select (and small) group on this board insists on trying to diminish everything Calhoun and the men's program has accomplished. Not sure why we can't appreciate both teams...

Reaction Score
I for one wonder why Coach Calhoun did not attend. I believe someone, UCONN or Coach should clear it up if there is a good explanation. Otherwise people are left to speculate without good information. In any case, not a good PR move.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Sorry to disagree. I suspect the powers that be at UCONN disagree also but can't speak publicly. I have followed a similar thread on the men's board and its pure bull. It's great that these ex players support lots of worthwhile organizations. However in todays world each college and university is fighting for every dollar.
Having been involved with a small college in fundraising
, I can assure you that each University needs money for its programs. It is UCONN that gave these players the opportunity for a free education and a national stage to play on, etc. , not Juvenile Diabetes or some other charity. We can argue for a long time about weather they should be paid or not, but the fact is, they got a free ride and a ticket to a big time job through their UCONN visability that other students do not.
I have a suggestion for all of you who want to give the men's team a pass because they lend their name to other organizations. The next time UCONN calls on a fund raiser, tell them you do your part by raising funds for American Heart or some such and see what UCONN says..

Enormous difference between a small college and a state sponsored University in terms of funding. Light years actually. UCONN's endowment alone is about $400 million iirc.

Reaction Score
So the list of women who have donated looks like this:
  1. Maria Conlon
  2. Diana Taurasi
  3. Tamika Williams (Raymond)
  4. Sue Bird
  5. Jamelle Elliot
  6. Wendy Davis
  7. Meghan Pattyson (Culmo)
  8. Kalana Greene
  9. Mel Thomas
  10. Debbie Baer (Fiske)
  11. Kara Wolters
  12. Carla Berube
  13. Kerry Bascomb (Poliquin)
  14. Rebecca Lobo
  15. Sarah Darras (on the current coaching staff - director of basketball)
Did I miss any based on their married names? And the list of the men who donated is
  1. Steve Pikiell
  2. Kevin Ollie
Randy LaVigne for the men. (If someone already caught that, sorry for the repeat.)

Reaction Score
That's not why he wasn't there.

It amazes me how a select (and small) group on this board insists on trying to diminish everything Calhoun and the men's program has accomplished. Not sure why we can't appreciate both teams...

I have great respect for the men's team and their accomplishments, especially after Kevin Ollie took over. Those young men deserve our respect for sticking to their commitment despite being ineligible for post season play for one year through no fault of theirs.

For their former coach, not so much. He damned near wrecked the men's program by failing to make sure his players actually got an education. And please, no excuses that his health was not good. If his health was that bad he should have taken a longer leave of absence or retired. He was the head coach, he was responsible and he failed to make sure it got done.

And don't get me started on his attitude towards the women's team & Geno Auriemma.....

intlzncster

Reaction Score
For their former coach, not so much. He damned near wrecked the men's program by failing to make sure his players actually got an education. And please, no excuses that his health was not good. If his health was that bad he should have taken a longer leave of absence or retired. He was the head coach, he was responsible and he failed to make sure it got done.

Damn near wrecked the program? He WAS the program.

Little known fact. JC was on great terms with an number of the young women on the Women's side. Eg, he had a great rapport and relationship with Diana Taurasi; they rehabbed together.

Reaction Score
So there is no official word on why Calhoun was not there?

intlzncster

Reaction Score
So there is no official word on why Calhoun was not there?

Absolutely no idea why, but I think it's a good thing that he wasn't. It's good for Ollie and the program if he distances himself, if only slightly, especially for the first couple years, in order for the program to become Ollie's in the public eye. You saw how much coverage he got during the FF last year. JC still casts a very large shadow.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Absolutely no idea why, but I think it's a good thing that he wasn't. It's good for Ollie and the program if he distances himself, if only slightly, especially for the first couple years, in order for the program to become Ollie's in the public eye. You saw how much coverage he got during the FF last year. JC still casts a very large shadow.
It is a tough situation. Out here, a recent article celebrating Lute Olsen's birthday (80 I think) mentioned that he has permission of Sean Miller to drop in at practice anytime - however, he apparently attends only one, preseason, just to get a look at the team. Knows how to keep his boundary. He attends most games and is still enormously popular in this college BB town.

As to the points about donating - I'm glad UConn has such an endowment, but remember endowment use is usually restricted. Most big state universities need money just as much as anyone else - especially as state education budgets are cut. Out here, we were at the kick-off last year of the "Arizona One" fundraising campaign - which is really an over-arching phrase for fundraising on a multitude of levels, enhancement of some athletic facilities being only part. Also, they rehabbed "Old Main", a very historic university building and the President of the University of Arizona moved her office there. They did the work before they had the money, using a contingency fund, and are trying desperately to raise the funds, which some alumni have withheld due to disagreements with the location of the Prez's office.

And I do give, both to Rutgers (my Alma Mater) and U of A. When we moved out here, we split the amount we were giving RU between the schools, recognizing the needs of Universities.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
It is a tough situation. Out here, a recent article celebrating Lute Olsen's birthday (80 I think) mentioned that he has permission of Sean Miller to drop in at practice anytime - however, he apparently attends only one, preseason, just to get a look at the team. Knows how to keep his boundary. He attends most games and is still enormously popular in this college BB town.

As to the points about donating - I'm glad UConn has such an endowment, but remember endowment use is usually restricted. Most big state universities need money just as much as anyone else - especially as state education budgets are cut. Out here, we were at the kick-off last year of the "Arizona One" fundraising campaign - which is really an over-arching phrase for fundraising on a multitude of levels, enhancement of some athletic facilities being only part. Also, they rehabbed "Old Main", a very historic university building and the President of the University of Arizona moved her office there. They did the work before they had the money, using a contingency fund, and are trying desperately to raise the funds, which some alumni have withheld due to disagreements with the location of the Prez's office.

And I do give, both to Rutgers (my Alma Mater) and U of A. When we moved out here, we split the amount we were giving RU between the schools, recognizing the needs of Universities.

All very true. I wasn't saying UCONN didn't need money, merely that a large well run (now) state school has less funding issues than small colleges, who just don't have the same revenue streams, alumni bases, resources, and marketing opportunities.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Jerky thing for him to do if true. But then Calhoun has never been mistaken for having class....

Lordy was this unnecessary... reads like the pot calling the kettle, if you know what I mean....

Reaction Score
Enormous difference between a small college and a state sponsored University in terms of funding. Light years actually. UCONN's endowment alone is about $400 million iirc.
Exactly. All the more reason for our highly paid graduates to give back to UCONN. Thanks for making my point.

Reaction Score
All very true. I wasn't saying UCONN didn't need money, merely that a large well run (now) state school has less funding issues than small colleges, who just don't have the same revenue streams, alumni bases, resources, and marketing opportunities.

Absolutly not true. Many of these state schools like UCONN and Arizona have seen their Federal and state support decline significantly over the past 10 years, just like the small schools. I suspect UCONN has better support from Conneticut than many state schools, but the federal drops are accross the board. In fact, in Pennsylvania, a couple of the state schools are trying to drop out of the state system to free themselves from the state mandates while beginning to raise their own funds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom