Jc's Biggest Surprise Recruit? | The Boneyard

Jc's Biggest Surprise Recruit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Congrats to Jeremy! Made me wonder of all the recruits that Jim has signed who is considered the biggest surprise?

Qualifications: Not heavily recruited, and not highly ranked. Basically "where the hell did he come from?"

At this point wouldn't it be Emeka? I had no idea that he would be a shot blocking/scoring machine. Kemba/Ray/Rip also would qualify. Tate, Nadav, Jeff and Jake get a shout out.

Still too early to anoint Jeremy but I think all of our 1st team AAs were under the radar. Lastly I think Bazz may one day top the list.

I know many of you have better memory than I do.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Emeka was a surprise to me. He was so awful in his first exhibition game I never expected him to get so good so fast. Nadav was good right off the bat, Lamb made the leap from good, solid player to star in one year. That's a pretty big jump.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
was hilton highly recruited? JC made him some $$$.

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
One of Calhoun's bigger "under the radar" recruits, who ended up turning into a star has to have been Ben Gordon.

Reaction Score
Wasn't Kemba a McD's AA in HS? I don't think he really qualifies here. Pretty sure Rip was a pretty decent recruit coming in as well.

Reaction Score
Gordon was big, just not a McD's. I agree with Oak, Lamb and Hilton. Hilton may have been the least recruited that made NBA to date.

Reaction Score
Rip was Md's AA as well. Ben, Emeka, Hilton, Jeremy. Emeka and Hilton 3 stars.

Reaction Score
Ben Gordon was only 3 stars? I thought he was suppose to have been incredible out of Mt Vernon?

Reaction Score
IIRC, Ben was a consensus top 30-40 recruit. The only reason he wasn't higher was because he didn't have a big presence on the AAU circuit the summer before senior year, if he played in any games at all. Ben wanted to go to Duke and Coach K was deciding on taking him or Daniel Ewing. That one turned out pretty well for us...

I'd say Emeka was the biggest surprise just because of the immediate impact he had relative to his reputation coming out of high school. Hilton was more of a long-term project.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Jonathan Mandeldove. And with his academic performance, he's the gift that just keeps on giving.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Jonathan Mandeldove. And with his academic performance, he's the gift that just keeps on giving.

I think the guy has been an undergrad at UConn longer than Ron Pape.

Reaction Score
No question Emeka. Wasn't even a top 100 prospect out of High School and the became National Player of the Year, and won a ship!

Reaction Score
I have a different slant on this and I am going to say DD.
As far as the fans knew we never talked to him and were not even considered. He came to UCONN having never even visited the school and was a top 10 player that Dook, Texas and Kansas had been after for year. Emeka was a surprise after he got here and grew as a player but I was shocked when we landed DD.

Reaction Score
Hilton is a surprise to me, I didn't know who this guy was at all when he was playing in high school until I read that he was considering UConn.

Joobie

Bookie
Reaction Score
New

One of Calhoun's bigger "under the radar" recruits, who ended up turning into a star has to have been Ben Gordon.​

Not Ater Majok??? ;)

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
IIRC, Ben was a consensus top 30-40 recruit. The only reason he wasn't higher was because he didn't have a big presence on the AAU circuit the summer before senior year, if he played in any games at all. Ben wanted to go to Duke and Coach K was deciding on taking him or Daniel Ewing. That one turned out pretty well for us...

I'd say Emeka was the biggest surprise just because of the immediate impact he had relative to his reputation coming out of high school. Hilton was more of a long-term project.
This.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
EO. Unheralded coming in and top pick going out.

Reaction Score
Kemba, Ray, and Rip were all top recruits. Ben Gordon was a bigger surprise than them, but he too was a top recruit (Top 40 albeit and not Top 15.) Emeka obviously has to be the biggest surprise. From 3 star recruit to POY! Hilton too, but he had only one good year (and it ended in disaster). I dont think Butler was that highly coveted either, mainly bacause of his background. Lamb has a shot to be in this discussion depending on how this year go.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Kemba, Ray, and Rip were all top recruits. Ben Gordon was a bigger surprise than them, but he too was a top recruit (Top 40 albeit and not Top 15.) Emeka obviously has to be the biggest surprise. From 3 star recruit to POY! Hilton too, but he had only one good year (and it ended in disaster). I dont think Butler was that highly coveted either, mainly bacause of his background. Lamb has a shot to be in this discussion depending on how this year go.
Butler was the number one ranked post graduate player and was wanted by several high major schools.

Reaction Score
Kevin Freeman, Rashad, Denham ( im sure his 101 point game got some teams attention), Ricky Moore, Adrien, Hilton, Ray, Ben. I would have to go with Emeka. AD took all of us by suprise with the timing of his announcement lol.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
Ray Allen was ranked in the 40's-50's by most recruiting services. He was fairly heavily recruited (Kentucky was after him too), but he far exceeded everyone's expectations from the very first game. He was easily one of the top 5 freshmen in the nation that year, and would eventually win POY as a junior.

Emeka Okafor wasn't even on the radar of most recruiting services until late in his senior year. Some did rank him in the top 100 very late, but I'm sure noone, except Jim Calhoun and Emeka himself, believed he had POY in him.

Perhaps not as dramatically late as Andre Drummond, but Calhoun has a knack of getting huge commits very late in the recruiting process, going all the way back to stealing Donyell Marshall from Syracuse and Michigan.

Mike Honcho

HU5KIES!
Reaction Score
Ray was first team AA but never POY. Marcus Camby won it that year. He did win BE POY, if that's what you meant.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Ray Allen was ranked in the 40's-50's by most recruiting services.

Allen was higher than that. He was 1st on the USA Top 25 that year. Of course, that list was in alphabetical order.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Based on the criteria presented - Emeka hands down. No one else comes close.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom