JC/KO question of hanging around..... | The Boneyard

JC/KO question of hanging around.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Rather than answer the people wondering about how it will work with JC talking about being around a lot to "oversee" many things and be there for KO. Obviously I can see why people may be a bit nervous about how long KO can stand JC being critical everyday and breathing down his neck, but it's not going to be like that at all.

One question from Matt of the orange side of things was relating the scenario to business and having your boss who retired hanging around. I have the better comparison.....an easy one if you're a UConn fan and not as easy for the likes of the Cuse or too many others for that matter.

UConn is very much family, so let's compare it to a family business. Dad or Gramps takes his money and drops the goods to the son's etc.......you think they're completely out of the process ever if their health is still fine? Do you think the kids don't ever ask dad or gramps about certain business scenario's after they retire? It's so hard for the fan's to understand....for instance I would ask Matt how many of Syracuse's recruits over the last 20 plus years now reside in Syracuse or within a few miles, and come back to games every year? How many of the pro's (not as many obviously because there aren't) come back to play pick up daily with the incoming frosh and the rest of the team during summer workouts and 1st semester captains practices.......? Again I could be wrong but I doubt it;'s close......

KO is part of that family, he resides in CT from right after his playing days, his kids go to school in CT. Ray resides in CT, Donny, Donyell did....so many others and these are kids from CA, WA, SC and PA........as far as I'm concerned he is taking over a family business and he is the next in line to maintain the success of the business and continue the legacy of it. He has support in so many ways it's unbelievable. And to top it off he's a gentleman, he's the hardest worker in the locker room still, he will instill his passion and drive and he's played and worked with some of the best coaches in basketball history!

So while none of us can even begin to think we have the answer on whether he will succeed or not, we are comfortable knowing we have someone who get's it and will love his players much like the man before him.

Are you any more sure about Mike Hopkins? Because if you are, you are a liar Matt!!!

Reaction Score
I have no issues with JC hanging around as long as he doesn't become the mother in-law from hell.

In other words I see Kevin seeking JC and not vice-versa. JC has to detach for this transition to work, or Kevin's trail can not be fairly judged. Just to have available a HOF coach in the background and on-call should be enough. But Kevin has seen firsthand so many coaches that he should be able to understand his job.

I just feel its either Kevin's era or not, but it should be established immediately (pass or fail). Independence is important and I hope he puts his own stamp on the program, whatever that will be.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
In other words, UConn hoops is now an..."Ollie"-garchy?

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. I seem to failing with my Ollie's Army recruiting efforts and I'm really just grasping at straws now.

But when either of these terms ends up taking off, remember where you heard them first!

Reaction Score
Agreed, they have to clearly severe the umbilical cord to allow Ollie to put his stamp on things. Its great if Calhoun is around to give advice if it is sought out but I think it would be best if Calhoun concentrated on things other than the day-to-day management of the team (which I think he will).

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
No way of knowing whether JC will be a mentor type person available to offer advice and be there for KO to discuss things or be an interfering type of individual.

I'm betting strongly he will be the former and not the latter. He wants KO to succeed and in his manner. JC is not the type to sabotage someone to protect his own legacy. Time will let me know if I'm correct.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
There have been different reports that have suggested quite different roles for JC. The first sounded as if he would be mostly involved in fundraising and would be available to Ollie as an adviser or mentor. There was a more recent one that said that JC would be watching practices. The first roles sounds good, the practice thing sounds like a big mistake. KO needs to have the reins at practices, games, team meetings, etc. I certainly hope that JC does not make himself a regular observer at practices.....that could damage KO's ability to show his leadership. Oh, well, one more time where we get to sit and wait to see what happens, hoping that Jim Calhoun is really able to let go and give KO the shot to earn the job. I don't mean to suggest that he would hurt KO's standing intentionally, but just his being present at more than a few practices could make things more difficult for KO to make the job his own.

Reaction Score
Rather than answer the people wondering about how it will work with JC talking about being around a lot to "oversee" many things and be there for KO. Obviously I can see why people may be a bit nervous about how long KO can stand JC being critical everyday and breathing down his neck, but it's not going to be like that at all.

One question from Matt of the orange side of things was relating the scenario to business and having your boss who retired hanging around. I have the better comparison.....an easy one if you're a UConn fan and not as easy for the likes of the Cuse or too many others for that matter.

UConn is very much family, so let's compare it to a family business. Dad or Gramps takes his money and drops the goods to the son's etc.......you think they're completely out of the process ever if their health is still fine? Do you think the kids don't ever ask dad or gramps about certain business scenario's after they retire? It's so hard for the fan's to understand....for instance I would ask Matt how many of Syracuse's recruits over the last 20 plus years now reside in Syracuse or within a few miles, and come back to games every year? How many of the pro's (not as many obviously because there aren't) come back to play pick up daily with the incoming frosh and the rest of the team during summer workouts and 1st semester captains practices.......? Again I could be wrong but I doubt it;'s close......

KO is part of that family, he resides in CT from right after his playing days, his kids go to school in CT. Ray resides in CT, Donny, Donyell did....so many others and these are kids from CA, WA, SC and PA........as far as I'm concerned he is taking over a family business and he is the next in line to maintain the success of the business and continue the legacy of it. He has support in so many ways it's unbelievable. And to top it off he's a gentleman, he's the hardest worker in the locker room still, he will instill his passion and drive and he's played and worked with some of the best coaches in basketball history!

So while none of us can even begin to think we have the answer on whether he will succeed or not, we are comfortable knowing we have someone who get's it and will love his players much like the man before him.

Are you any more sure about Mike Hopkins? Because if you are, you are a liar Matt!!!

I like your analogy, Mau. With Calhoun, people saw this maniac on the sideline, but not the love and support he gave his players. He pushed them. He fought for them. He taught them. He helped them to grow as players, and as men. I love what Caron Butler has said. He even calls him "Pops" and sends him a card on Father's Day.

You're so right. Most programs don't have as many players making the area their home and working out with the current team over the summer. We are so lucky to have had a coach with a strong sense of loyalty, love, and family. Oh, yeah. And an extremely successful one, too. Many other fans don't quite understand that culture.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom