JC - it's official | Page 2 | The Boneyard

JC - it's official

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Good for him. Good luck to him in this new endeavor!

C

Chief00

Eh. He's there part time for a year. Maybe 2. I feel the time is better spent at UConn instead of a school for teachers that just allowed men to enroll a few years ago.

You know there is one interesting theory circulating - I don’t believe it - but it’s not impossible.
After GM couldn’t find a D1 assistant’s job for a year - and he imploded trying to take KO and the entire school down with him by turning rat with the NCAA beyond what UConn needed to get “cause” on KO. Calhoun was assigned getting GM a life so he wouldn’t harbor such bitterness.
I don’t buy it - but it’s out there.

Reaction Score
Because he's rich and bored. I don't think the UConn stuff is particularly interesting to him these days .

St. Joe's is D3 and he has Miller to help with the day to day - it's a low-pressure, low-effort way to get back into coaching which he has clearly missed. Nothing to overthink here.

Agreed. I think he wanted to take care of Miller and set him up to be his successor, as well.

Reaction Score
Am I the only one who just doesn't get this whole thing? Why doesn't he continue to help UConn and why feel the need to do what he's doing at a D3 level?
He doesn’t have the same hooks into the program that he had. They weren’t going to offer him the job at his age and health situation. He also dropped KO in their lap.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
You know there is one interesting theory circulating - I don’t believe it - but it’s not impossible.
After GM couldn’t find a D1 assistant’s job for a year - and he imploded trying to take KO and the entire school down with him by turning rat with the NCAA beyond what UConn needed to get “cause” on KO. Calhoun was assigned getting GM a life so he wouldn’t harbor such bitterness.

This is 100% false

Reaction Score
if true, it's unfortunate it wasn't done sooner before GM turned rat

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
It may sound a bit far fetched but with Pres SH and the db AD David Benedict I would believe anything
I am not sure what Miller said though I do know as a fact that he caused a lot of ill will to KO because Miller thought it was solely KO who got rid of him but the jerk DB knows better
Someday when the smoke clears, the real truth will come out
And before any of the usual jump all over me as being a KO apologist or what ever the acronym du jour is, while I know KO and I really like and respect the man, I have said that he did not provide UConn like results the past 2 seasons and that would be the cause for replacement - performance. period.
OK on to current events - let's get some damn good players into the program - 1 down 3 more to go for 2019

Reaction Score
Eh. He's there part time for a year. Maybe 2. I feel the time is better spent at UConn instead of a school for teachers that just allowed men to enroll a few years ago.
Jim Calhoun deserves to spend the rest of his life doing whatever makes him happy. He has earned it and then some. And then some more. This man has changed countless lives for the better and deserves to do whatever makes hit heart happy. He owes nothing to no one.

Reaction Score
Jim Calhoun deserves to spend the rest of his life doing whatever makes him happy. He has earned it and then some. And then some more. This man has changed countless lives for the better and deserves to do whatever makes hit heart happy. He owes nothing to no one.

I'm not disputing any of that.

It just seems like a weird move.

Reaction Score
I'm not disputing any of that.

It just seems like a weird move.
What factors contributed to Calhoun stepping down at UConn? His health is almost always cited. I've never heard, "I don't like coaching" and certainly he still cares about the game and UConn deeply. So he can't physically or competitively (vs UConn) coach again at the D1 level. But D3 offers the opportunity to coach without the stress, travel and 24/7 demands. Again, tons of retirees stay involved in their life's work in a PT role. So many athletes & coaches can't ever walk away from the game. This is that.

Reaction Score
I love conspiracy theories. Sometimes they are real. Not sure about this one though.

Reaction Score
I wonder if he will cuss up a storm like he did on the sidelines at Uconn? You could hear him at the XL with a full house, so you will definitely hear him in a small gym, with a bunch of nuns and priests in the stands. I hope someone gets it on video

Reaction Score
What factors contributed to Calhoun stepping down at UConn? His health is almost always cited. I've never heard, "I don't like coaching" and certainly he still cares about the game and UConn deeply. So he can't physically or competitively (vs UConn) coach again at the D1 level. But D3 offers the opportunity to coach without the stress, travel and 24/7 demands. Again, tons of retirees stay involved in their life's work in a PT role. So many athletes & coaches can't ever walk away from the game. This is that.
I think the move makes perfect sense for him. It allows him to continue doing what he loves without the stress of national recruiting, dealing with handlers, NBA people trying to get their hands on kids, agents, 1,000-mile plane rides during the season, and all that goes into coaching a top flight D1 program. This is effectively a glorified high school coaching job. He gets to coach kids who'll be there four years, who won't play professionally so there's no financial incentives in the way, and he gets to teach the fundamentals of the game.

Let's also not forget that Calhoun can game plan and coach circles around every other D3 coach if he were asleep, so there's an element of ease there. He was quoted somewhere recently as saying he couldn't wait to get back to just showing up at the gym first thing in the morning and turn the lights on, teach kids how to beat a 2-3 zone, then get on a bus to go to a game. It's what he loves to do and is a genius at, so I'm happy he gets the chance to do it.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I wonder if he will cuss up a storm like he did on the sidelines at Uconn? You could hear him at the XL with a full house, so you will definitely hear him in a small gym, with a bunch of nuns and priests in the stands. I hope someone gets it on video
Until that day...

@temery delete this if violates board rules.

Reaction Score
I imagine he's been given instructions by his wife and his doctor to take it easy at his age, and surely the standard of skill he'll hold these players to will be far different from when he was at UConn.

But the minute someone doesn't hustle for a loose ball or box out on a missed free throw.......hoo boy

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom