Jaylin Stewart finds ‘perfect fit’ with UConn basketball | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Jaylin Stewart finds ‘perfect fit’ with UConn basketball

Reaction Score
Actually Alleyne committed to UConn on April 21 and then CFJ announced he was transferring a few days later.
CFJ entered the portal April 12, the day before Newton officially committed, well before Diarra entered the portal let alone committed, but the same day Alleyne entered. You're thinking of when CFJ actually committed to Providence on the 24th. Alleyne committed as you mentioned on the 21st.

So timeline is:

Newton enters portal March 28th.
Newton visits April 8/9/10.
CFJ and Alleyne enter portal April 12.
Newton commits April 13.
Diarra enters portal April 21.
Alleyne commits April 21.
CFJ commits April 24.
Diarra commits May 11.

Last edited:

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I have no clue what point you're trying to make with any of these posts. Craig Austrie played out of necessity, there was only one ballhandler on the entire roster. Brendan Adams and Jalen Gaffney played out of of necessity.
The point is, trust the players you recruit. There’s a reason you recruited them. Develop them too and play your talented freshmen. Don’t bring in transfers over the guys you identified to recruit to the program and develop.

Reaction Score
Jaylin can ball. Love his shot off the dribble. Very smooth and confident. Seems about his business on the court. He is gonna be a problem.

Reaction Score
The point is, trust the players you recruit. There’s a reason you recruited them. Develop them too and play your talented freshmen. Don’t bring in transfers over the guys you identified to recruit to the program and develop.
You're being ridiculous. Not all your recruits pan out, holding onto guys who aren't good enough like Gaffney and B. Adams is insane when you can bring in better players.

Calhoun always recruited over players with better players, Hurley and every other coach at a major basketball school does the same.

As I stated earlier because of Covid Hurley and the staff couldn't scout and recruit last years class anything like they normally do.

Last edited:

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
You're being ridiculous. Not all your recruits pan out, holding onto guys who aren't good enough like Gaffney and B. Adams is insane when you can bring in better players.

Calhoun always recruited over players with better players, Hurley and every other coach at a major basketball school does the same.

As I stated earlier because of Covid Hurley and the staff couldn't scout and recruit last years class anything like they normally do.
Lol I said nothing about these guys, especially B Adams. But okay. The talented freshman I was talking about was obviously Diggins, Samson, etc. Have a good plan for guys like CFJ. All from a the last highly touted class we had. Even Hawkins could’ve had way more time than he had instead of wasting time with transfers who ended up not winning us much. Again, 2011 is the perfect example of just relying on your young guys and not trying to be in win now mode.

Reaction Score
It is nice to see highlights where a player can actually shoot and not just dunk. I assume all these guys can dunk.
The last few years we have been bereft of efficient outside scorers. Hoping this will change.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Lol I said nothing about these guys, especially B Adams. But okay. The talented freshman I was talking about was obviously Diggins, Samson, etc. Have a good plan for guys like CFJ. All from a the last highly touted class we had. Even Hawkins could’ve had way more time than he had instead of wasting time with transfers who ended up not winning us much. Again, 2011 is the perfect example of just relying on your young guys and not trying to be in win now mode.
My bad I see why. I’m not diving into the specifics but Gaffney and Andre Jackson would’ve did fine short term and would’ve been better long term that year with Bouknight.

Reaction Score
CFJ entered the portal April 12, the day before Newton officially committed, well before Diarra entered the portal let alone committed, but the same day Alleyne entered. You're thinking of when CFJ actually committed to Providence on the 24th. Alleyne committed as you mentioned on the 21st.

So timeline is:

Newton enters portal March 28th.
Newton visits April 8/9/10.
CFJ and Alleyne enter portal April 12.
Newton commits April 13.
Diarra enters portal April 21.
Alleyne commits April 21.
CFJ commits April 24.
Diarra commits May 11.
Good research. Bad research by me! :)

Reaction Score

People have the impression that we're booting these guys out with a hearty middle finger. It was a mutually beneficial thing for B Adams and Gaffney to move on.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

Didn’t Rip Hamilton push Rashamel Jones to the bench. But Rash handled it well.

And of course there was Alex O. upset with the Drummond recruitment.

These are just different methods coaches can now employ to improve their team.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score

You’re using lottery picks as examples. We’re not bringing in lottery picks. Bringing in freshman that grow in the program is completely different than bringing in upperclassmen on their last leg.

I don’t care what era you’re in, you can recruit talented guys and develop them. It’s on Hurley to build that culture where a class like 2023 comes in and hits the ground running to the point we don’t need 4 transfers in 1 year. Maybe a Lasan Kromah role player here and there.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
It was KEA.

in 1996-1997 the starting lineup (after Kirk King was ineligible) was two sophs (Ricky & Rash) in the backcourt and three freshman (RIP, Freeman & Jake) in the front court. The following year KEA took over at point, Ricky moved to two and Rash came off the bench.

Reaction Score
Any coach who won't try to improve his roster, frosh or transfer, is in the wrong business.
Any kid who doesn't recognize this reality of team sports hasn't played team sports.

Reaction Score

Khalid pushed Jones to the bench, but yes, he handled it well.

Curiouser
Reaction Score

It was KEA.

in 1996-1997 the starting lineup (after Kirk King was ineligible) was two sophs (Ricky & Rash) in the backcourt and three freshman (RIP, Freeman & Jake) in the front court. The following year KEA took over at point, Ricky moved to two and Rash came off the bench.

Khalid pushed Jones to the bench, but yes, he handled it well.
As I recall the story, as told in Calhoun's book, Calhoun called Ricky into his office and told him that Khalid would be starting, which meant that either Ricky or Rash would be coming off the bench. To which Ricky replied something to the effect of, "That's too bad for Rash then."

Reaction Score
As I recall the story, as told in Calhoun's book, Calhoun called Ricky into his office and told him that Khalid would be starting, which meant that either Ricky or Rash would be coming off the bench. To which Ricky replied something to the effect of, "That's too bad for Rash then."
it really illustrates how good those teams were, when you can bench a starter who averaged 13pts per game and get better.

Reaction Score
The quote was”man Rash is really gonna be pissed”

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
psttc

Top Bottom