Jaylin Stewart finds ‘perfect fit’ with UConn basketball | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Jaylin Stewart finds ‘perfect fit’ with UConn basketball

Reaction Score
Yea I think the poster meant we’re not happy with PC.

But it also wouldn’t bother me too much if PC also wasn’t happy because their “poach” turned out to be not what they expected to get talent-wise.

I'm not wishing ill for any of our former players except Corey. I'm good with the decisions Diggins, Akok, Gaff made. I won't hope he gets injured, but if CFJ has a career where he can't sniff the floor and Providence as a program implodes I'd be thrilled.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Corey Floyd Jr. to Providence

Remember when the sky was falling
i'll wait a good bit to decide what any of it actually means/meant.
still waiting years for even one dang ncaa tourney win. just one.
u know, '45:16' or whatever.
given that in last years nba draft, our league got a grand total of one pick, i suppose that there are other teams out there with pretty good players too.
this time last year, we were discussing our starting five, and a whole bunch here had serious trouble with the idea of tmart, that one nba draft pick, starting.
u could look it up.
if donovan doesn't get meaningful time from the getgo, im going to lose my lunch. and dinner.

Last edited:

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
I'm not wishing ill for any of our former players except Corey. I'm good with the decisions Diggins, Akok, Gaff made. I won't hope he gets injured, but if CFJ has a career where he can't sniff the floor and Providence as a program implodes I'd be thrilled.
my take on Floyd: If a kid doesn’t want to be here, let him leave. He probably would have found a reason to quit or transfer even if Hurley had convinced him to stay in the spring. He had a clear path to big minutes if he was going to play well, but still left. Red flag imo

I will say it’s much easier to say this and to think like this after seeing what Hurley was able to do on the recruiting trail this year.

Curiouser
Reaction Score

my take on Floyd: If a kid doesn’t want to be here, let him leave. He probably would have found a reason to quit or transfer even if Hurley had convinced him to stay in the spring. He had a clear path to big minutes if he was going to play well, but still left. Red flag imo

I will say it’s much easier to say this and to think like this after seeing what Hurley was able to do on the recruiting trail this year.
Wishing ill on someone is like swallowing poison and hoping someone else dies as a result.

Whatever Providence did, I don’t think any of us know enough about what went on here with Corey to judge his decision.

I hope it works out well both for him and for us. That’s a true win-win imo.

Reaction Score
Sarcastic Wait What GIF by ALDI USA

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
'u could look it up.'
my main, 'A' number one counsel, has the best courtroom shtick.
waving the transcript of a deposition in the air, she reads a line or two of it to a witness on the stand, and then asks "were u lying then, or are u lying now?'

luv it, every time, and makes me want to get up and clap. i did once, but the judge started yelling at me. she did, too. lots of folks yell at me. whatever.

Reaction Score
Wishing ill on someone is like swallowing poison and hoping someone else dies as a result.

Whatever Providence did, I don’t think any of us know enough about what went on here with Corey to judge his decision.

I hope it works out well both for him and for us. That’s a true win-win imo.
I’ll take a slightly different approach. I wish the best for Gaff, Diggins and Akok (except when he plays us). I don’t wish ill for CFJ, but I wouldn’t waste the energy wishing the best for him either. Just a non factor for me.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I’ll take a slightly different approach. I wish the best for Gaff, Diggins and Akok (except when he plays us). I don’t wish I’ll for CFJ, but I wouldn’t waste the energy wishing the best for him either. Just a non factor for me.
Was about to post the same thing about not wasting the energy.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I’ll take a slightly different approach. I wish the best for Gaff, Diggins and Akok (except when he plays us). I don’t wish ill for CFJ, but I wouldn’t waste the energy wishing the best for him either. Just a non factor for me.

Was about to post the same thing about not wasting the energy.
That’s fair. My point was about not wasting the energy on negative thoughts about someone else.

I’m not tuning into Providence games to root for him, but I will be curious enough to see how it turns out.

Accentuate the positive…

Reaction Score
That’s fair. My point was about not wasting the energy on negative thoughts about someone else.

I’m not tuning into Providence games to root for him, but I will be curious enough to see how it turns out.

Accentuate the positive…
100%. I was genuinely happy for the success that JC and BA found last year. I’ll continue that with Gaff, Akok & Sool. It really ends there for me tho

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
100%. I was genuinely happy for the success that JC and BA found last year. I’ll continue that with Gaff, Akok & Sool. It really ends there for me tho
I feel like with CFJ I can see why he would want to leave (not to providence but still).

Hurley commented on how well he was doing but then didn’t play him throughout the year. Then on top of it didn’t commit to investing in him for the next year and sought out transfers that would challenge his minutes. If he played well but is not getting committed to, why would he feel comfortable committing back?

We’re going to be fine but I really hope Hurley manages guys better moving forward because he brings in such great talent.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
this corey stuff is starting to feel a bit like the KO thing. u know, bile and vitriol at every turn by a lot of posters. let's hope im wrong. i sure do.

KO rang the bell to the tune of $15 million. he wins, regardless of how much pointless, useless, and meaningless anger was tossed his way.
if Providence does big things with corey, Friar will be all over us, rightfully so, and lots of folks here will cause a stampede on cvs, trying to get their valium scrips reupped. mebbe even cause the hard hooch folks to start selling it by the barrel.

what's the point?

Reaction Score
I feel like the minority because I’m still a big CFJ fan and hope he does well. I’m fine with him averaging 20 a game the next four years against us (while losing every game, of course)

If CFJ stays, do we still get Newton? Alleyne? Solo Ball? So much butterfly effect/speculation is possible here, so let’s just wish him the best and move on. We have a great roster this year and a superstar class coming in next year. Assuming CFJ is happy in his new situation as well. We can leave it at that

Reaction Score

This is one of those sayings people think is clever and deep, but is actually rather silly and lacks any philosophical truth. It's the kind of crap weird 14 year olds say after they see some faux-self-help guru on TikTok.

I have taught kids for a long time so I can't say it's the most ridiculous thing I've read, but it is probably getting the same grade as the kid who copy/pasted a dissertation from some PhD student at Duke. C- because I don't feel like having to call your mom.

If once a month CFJ comes up on this board and I think "yeah, I hope his basketball career is absolute dog crap"... absolutely nothing happens.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
This is one of those sayings people think is clever and deep, but is actually rather silly and lacks any philosophical truth. It's the kind of crap weird 14 year olds say after they see some faux-self-help guru on TikTok.

I have taught kids for a long time so I can't say it's the most ridiculous thing I've read, but it is probably getting the same grade as the kid who copy/pasted a dissertation from some PhD student at Duke. C- because I don't feel like having to call your mom.

If once a month CFJ comes up on this board and I think "yeah, I hope his basketball career is absolute dog crap"... absolutely nothing happens.
Ok, teach. It wasn’t submitted for your grade, but thanks for confirming the wisdom in it, however unintentionally.

It was a comment in reaction to a (presumably) grown man who is literally wishing ill on a teenager he never met and doesn’t know because he decided to play for a different basketball team.

Sounds perfectly healthy. Carry on.

Reaction Score
Ok, teach. It wasn’t submitted for your grade, but thanks for confirming the wisdom in it, however unintentionally.

It was a comment in reaction to a (presumably) grown man who is literally wishing ill on a teenager he never met and doesn’t know because he decided to play for a different basketball team.

Sounds perfectly healthy. Carry on.

Will do Confucius!

Reaction Score
I feel like with CFJ I can see why he would want to leave (not to providence but still).

Hurley commented on how well he was doing but then didn’t play him throughout the year. Then on top of it didn’t commit to investing in him for the next year and sought out transfers that would challenge his minutes. If he played well but is not getting committed to, why would he feel comfortable committing back?

We’re going to be fine but I really hope Hurley manages guys better moving forward because he brings in such great talent.

He didn’t play because everyone (EVERYONE) agreed to a redshirt year and a development plan before the season started. Is your misunderstanding of the situation perhaps intentional?

But back to Jaylin… I love the idea they are selling this recruiting class, of coming in together and doing things. They are going to come in talented and cocky (in a good way), get punched in the mouth like most freshmen do, and figure it out together.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The thing I like about this class and what seems incredibly rare in a UConn recruiting class is that Stewart, Castle, and Ball all look like they will be ready in terms of physicality and their overall games to contribute meaningfully right away. They all also look like they have NBA potential if things go right.

Even with other top UConn classes there were question marks with some of the players. Too skinny (will he fill out.) Too raw (will he gain more skills.) Super skilled/athletic but maybe too small to play in NBA.

Reaction Score
The thing I like about this class and what seems incredibly rare in a UConn recruiting class is that Stewart, Castle, and Ball all look like they will be ready in terms of physicality and their overall games to contribute meaningfully right away. They all also look like they have NBA potential if things go right.

Even with other top UConn classes there were question marks with some of the players. Too skinny (will he fill out.) Too raw (will he gain more skills.) Super skilled/athletic but maybe too small to play in NBA.

And Jayden going to LuHi and Solo to Brewster for their senior seasons only increases the class’s readiness and shows their commitment to getting better.

Steph and Jaylin are already in good enough places, and they have had solid AAU experiences.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score

Having 3 guys who are potentially ready, and 2 guys who may need some seasoning, is a really nice balance. Especially considering it’ll probably be 5 ready guys after we bring in a couple transfers.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
He didn’t play because everyone (EVERYONE) agreed to a redshirt year and a development plan before the season started. Is your misunderstanding of the situation perhaps intentional?

But back to Jaylin… I love the idea they are selling this recruiting class, of coming in together and doing things. They are going to come in talented and cocky (in a good way), get punched in the mouth like most freshmen do, and figure it out together.
The RS year is fine and understandable. But if you think he did well why basically recruit transfers to his position? At some point trust the guys you bring in and your coaching.

Again, we’re fine and we had some good transfers that should make us a great team this year. But with this upcoming class I definitely would like to see them handled the right way because it’s really an amazing class.

Reaction Score
I'm trying to figure out what scouts are seeing/not seeing in Jaylin Stewart to have his rankings be where they are this whole time? I've only seen a few full games and all the highlights and other game film segments I could dig up and he looks to be the whole package. I can confidently say he's significantly better than a lot of the players I've seen play games who are ahead of him in the rankings. He's also better than all the other swing guys we were involved with outside of Justin Edwards.

@husky429 I know you've watched a fair amount of him, where would you have Jaylin Stewart ranked?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom