Jayden Ross joined UConn men to develop, and he’s doing it ahead of schedule | The Boneyard

Jayden Ross joined UConn men to develop, and he’s doing it ahead of schedule

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Love to see this. Does anybody know how he is handling the ball? I’m trying to think about his role with us, can he play some minutes as a big SG?

Reaction Score
I just love this freshman class.. I hope he is careful putting on weight… I remember Josh Carlton putting on weight… he lost the quickness he had and played terrible that year… I would think bouncy and quick is better then being strong… he said they want him to eat alot more… I would disagree with that logic

Reaction Score
I just love this freshman class.. I hope he is careful putting on weight… I remember Josh Carlton putting on weight… he lost the quickness he had and played terrible that year… I would think bouncy and quick is better then being strong… he said they want him to eat alot more… I would disagree with that logic
Our coaches know what they're doing. He's not going to get fat lol, it'll be mostly muscle. When they tell him to eat more, they mean eat more protein based foods, not twinkies

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Unlikely. Will play 3/4. He's not a ballhandling threat at all... on par with freshman Karaban.
Ok. We are thin at guard next year, and if Flagg comes here and Alex comes back, overloaded with 3/4 guys. Since he’s a shooter, was hoping maybe he could flex a bit.

Reaction Score
Ok. We are thin at guard next year, and if Flagg comes here and Alex comes back, overloaded with 3/4 guys. Since he’s a shooter, was hoping maybe he could flex a bit.
We'll definitely be portaling for at least 1 guard

Reaction Score
Unlikely. Will play 3/4. He's not a ballhandling threat at all... on par with freshman Karaban.

Im pretty sure during his interview he said he's been playing 2, 3, and 4. Not that youre wrong, these may be primarily defensive designations he's using.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Him being 200 already is great news. Ross can be so so good. That weight will help him hold up physically.

Reaction Score
Im pretty sure during his interview he said he's been playing 2, 3, and 4. Not that youre wrong, these may be primarily defensive designations he's using.

I was thinking offense, where 2-4 are really kind of similar anyways.

On defense, I think he could guard 2s, especially bigger ones or pure shooters when we need length to contest.

Reaction Score
Our coaches know what they're doing. He's not going to get fat lol, it'll be mostly muscle. When they tell him to eat more, they mean eat more protein based foods, not twinkies
I agree but im not a huge fan of putting on weight so quickly. Sure hit the weights to build strength im all for it but hes not a one and done so let him get stronger but gain weight naturally as he builds some muscle naturally as he gets stronger. That being said i trust the staff.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Love his development potential and the work he's already put in.

I'd think he could play big 2/3 a year or 2 down the line if he gets more fluid. A lot of guys at his stage aren't great with the ball, i.e. Hawkins, Karaban, et al. 1-3 dribble moves until he crafts that!

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Hurley said they screwed up with Jackson gaining too much weight too quickly so they're making sure to do it right with Ross.
Gonna be honest, I have no idea how putting on muscle “quickly” could ever be an issue. Can anyone explain why that would hinder him? I’d be psyched if Ross got another 10 pounds of muscle by seasons end.

Reaction Score
Gonna be honest, I have no idea how putting on muscle “quickly” could ever be an issue. Can anyone explain why that would hinder him? I’d be psyched if Ross got another 10 pounds of muscle by seasons end.

I think the issue is that the reports are almost always BS and most defy biology.

Reaction Score
Because you're carrying around more weight and your body isn't used to it. It's probably better to gain weight more gradually.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Because you're carrying around more weight and your body isn't used to it. It's probably better to gain weight more gradually.
Still missing the why? Like what exactly could Andre not do because he was heavier?

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Still missing the why? Like what exactly could Andre not do because he was heavier?
It’s a strength to weight issue. More muscle mass, especially added quickly, doesn’t always mean more strength. Which means you have to move more mass to jump, cut, run, etc. Lebron got too heavy and even though it was muscle he dropped like 20 pounds to regain quickness. Hollywood guys bulk for movies but don’t actually gain proportionate strength.

That said, I doubt our S&C guys are steering him wrong.

Reaction Score
Gotta love dining hall food
Sure, yet Ross and other players likely eat a good number of meals prepared in the Werth hoop facility’s dining room. Suspect the meals may be a fair bit more nutritious than what’s served in McMahon, Putnam, etc dorms.

Reaction Score
Another article on Ross. This one from Mike Anthony. So you know it's longer.

“I don't feel like I've lost any bit of athletic ability since I've gotten here,” Ross said. “So that isn’t much of an issue. I'm going to just see how much weight I can put on comfortably. … I feel like I'm a good transition player. I'm going to give 110 percent effort on the defensive end. I'm going to run the wing. I'm going to hit shots and use my athleticism to my advantage. That's my role for this year.”

Alternate access:

Why UConn men's basketball freshman Jayden Ross is surprise addition to Dan Hurley's deep rotation

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Another article on Ross. This one from Mike Anthony. So you know it's longer.

“I don't feel like I've lost any bit of athletic ability since I've gotten here,” Ross said. “So that isn’t much of an issue. I'm going to just see how much weight I can put on comfortably. … I feel like I'm a good transition player. I'm going to give 110 percent effort on the defensive end. I'm going to run the wing. I'm going to hit shots and use my athleticism to my advantage. That's my role for this year.”

Alternate access:

Why UConn men's basketball freshman Jayden Ross is surprise addition to Dan Hurley's deep rotation

A guy who “knows his identity”. I think I know someone who will enjoy that

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom