Jayda Evans: Sue: Storrs is too boring.... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Jayda Evans: Sue: Storrs is too boring....

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Well, taxes and lack of jobs(high and low paying no less) make CT a difficult place to thrive for many young people, if not boring...its almost as if the state wants to get rid of job seekers.

I have news for you - it is more and more like that in the bigger cities as entry level jobs are outsourced more and more. But I agree, the future is grim for the younger folks in Connecticut, unless something changes drastically.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
I have news for you - it is more and more like that in the bigger cities as entry level jobs are outsourced more and more. But I agree, the future is grim for the younger folks in Connecticut, unless something changes drastically.

Sorry, not news to me...I have advised literally hundreds of young(college grads) people regarding their economic choices.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I disagree. If you are accustomed to living in a place that offers access to specific amenities, be it art, theater, cuisine, sports, sights and sounds, or ready access to compatible dating partners, moving to a place that doesn't have those things really sucks. If I'm Sue Bird, and I've lived in Seattle, cool parts of Russia, etc., I wouldn't want to try to "make my own fun" in Storrs either.
Well, my wife and I have traveled throughout the US, British Ilse, and Europe and parts of Asia. But I have hiked and climbed and hunted in the middle of nowhere. I have always found where I am and who I am with to be interesting. It is about attitude and what you expect. Set your expectations too high and on others and there is always ample opportunity to be disappointed. There are fascinating things everywhere if one is so predisposed. Currently, we travel an hour in four direction and have great entertainment at PSU, Bucknell, Susquehanna U., and Juniata College all have tremendous entertainment.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Bristol would be even worse to be single insomuch as you aren't even in the vicinity of some of the cool parts of Massachusetts. But you can easily be a broadcaster without living here. Beth Mowins, for instance, lives in Tampa, Brooke Weisbrod in Chicago, etc.
I didn't know that you dated Beth and Brooke too. :)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
As they say, it used to Storr. Then they built a second one and renamed it Storrs. ;)

That's what it's like.
See my signature for why I think they call it Storrs.

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
It's green and beautiful and pastorally picturesque, the air clean and fresh all though slightly infused with a bovine scented perfume (I grew up in the area, and springtime air was ripe with new awakenings). There are endless winding country roads to drive, lots of historical Indian Rock fences in the woods to follow, fresh eggs, the best ice cream, wonderful produce in the summer, and small town americana in abundance. The winters can be harsh, the autumn a wild mass of color and crisp air, the summer a siren's song to the beach which is not that far away by car, and a floral springtime of beauty beyond compare.

What's not to love? I live in a very big city of concrete and glass, and even though I live between two lovely parks they simply are no replacement for New England. I will always be a country girl at heart.

To pile onto your nostalgia: wild blackberry & raspberry bushes by the roadside everywhere, fields of blueberry & strawberry to discover on the woods-path jaunts. A river to float away on or cast a line in. Fresh apple cider. Milk from the dairyman.

My direct knowledge is old and I don't know what changes the recent financial troubles have wrought, but there used to be 2-3 places in the area that served "cuisine" (e.g. The Victorian Lady), a few more that admirably filled niches (e.g. Chuck's, Willington Pizza, The Altnaveigh Inn) and a number of serviceable cafes, bistros, sandwich shops and pubs with decent grub. Even nightclubs with good live music & the occasional big name, not counting the concerts at Jorgensen.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
I think her background has a big impact on her opinion. She is from the New York metro area as a child so she is already predisposed to a hustle and bustle environment.
Unless one has a negative experience as a child growing up in or near the city life I would think they would not want a different home as an adult. I am the complete opposite. Raised in outer suburbia and could never tolerate a big city. To each their own. Live and let live.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I think her background has a big impact on her opinion. She is from the New York metro area as a child so she is already predisposed to a hustle and bustle environment.
Unless one has a negative experience as a child growing up in or near the city life I would think they would not want a different home as an adult. I am the complete opposite. Raised in outer suburbia and could never tolerate a big city. To each their own. Live and let live.
That I think is a fair appraisal.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
To pile onto your nostalgia: wild blackberry & raspberry bushes by the roadside everywhere, fields of blueberry & strawberry to discover on the woods-path jaunts. A river to float away on or cast a line in. Fresh apple cider. Milk from the dairyman.

My direct knowledge is old and I don't know what changes the recent financial troubles have wrought, but there used to be 2-3 places in the area that served "cuisine" (e.g. The Victorian Lady), a few more that admirably filled niches (e.g. Chuck's, Willington Pizza, The Altnaveigh Inn) and a number of serviceable cafes, bistros, sandwich shops and pubs with decent grub. Even nightclubs with good live music & the occasional big name, not counting the concerts at Jorgensen.

Strawberries in June, raspberries in July, blueberries in August, apples in September....butter sugar corn in July, silver queen in August......sigh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom