Jayda Evans: Sue: Storrs is too boring.... | The Boneyard

Jayda Evans: Sue: Storrs is too boring....

Status
Not open for further replies.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Q: I asked my Twitter followers if they had a question for you and one wants to know if you’re more likely to pursue coaching at UConn or broadcast?

Bird: Have you been to Storrs? It’s very boring. Between those two, I’d have to lean toward broadcasting.

LINK

U

UCONNfan1

Yep. All they do there is win championships and breed champions!

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Yeah but for a cute, single woman I'm sure Storrs wouldn't be her first choice. Doubtful that any of the coaches actually live there, though!

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Yeah but for a cute, single woman I'm sure Storrs wouldn't be her first choice. Doubtful that any of the coaches actually live there, though!

Eastern CT in general is not a great place to be single. I had to do it, and I found almost no one to date. My first girlfriend post-marriage lived outside of Boston, and my current GF lives in New Haven. And I went on dates from NYC to Providence to Amherst/Northampton to freaking Albany.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Have you ever been to Bristol?
Bristol would be even worse to be single insomuch as you aren't even in the vicinity of some of the cool parts of Massachusetts. But you can easily be a broadcaster without living here. Beth Mowins, for instance, lives in Tampa, Brooke Weisbrod in Chicago, etc.

JS

Reaction Score
Have you been to Storrs? It’s very boring.

Wasn't always . . .

uconn_perfect.jpg

. . . . . original caption:
. . . . . . . "Perfect!!!"

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
I'd say only accept a coaching position if you are allowed to have a car.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I gather second dates in the same town weren't easy to come by.
Not too tough- I just dated a number of women at once for a stretch until I found the right one. The diversity of locales made doing so easier. Somewhat fun, a lot exhausting, ecstatic to be settled into something with apparent staying power now.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Since I've never been there. What is Storrs like?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
As they say, it used to Storr. Then they built a second one and renamed it Storrs. ;)

That's what it's like.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score

Beautiful, tiny, no other towns with much in them nearby. It's basically a campus...and that's it. Closest shopping centers are solidly half an hour away. Closest city is 45 minutes away...and that city is Hartford. Only a couple of hours from Boston and three or so from NYC, so some weekend road trip potential. But no, it's the last place an attractive, successful single woman would want to live. Married, established, want a quiet and rustic place to raise a family? Sure, nice part of CT to be.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
It's green and beautiful and pastorally picturesque, the air clean and fresh all though slightly infused with a bovine scented perfume (I grew up in the area, and springtime air was ripe with new awakenings). There are endless winding country roads to drive, lots of historical Indian Rock fences in the woods to follow, fresh eggs, the best ice cream, wonderful produce in the summer, and small town americana in abundance. The winters can be harsh, the autumn a wild mass of color and crisp air, the summer a siren's song to the beach which is not that far away by car, and a floral springtime of beauty beyond compare.

What's not to love? I live in a very big city of concrete and glass, and even though I live between two lovely parks they simply are no replacement for New England. I will always be a country girl at heart.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
I love the smalltown-ness of it all.

I don't know whether this will change the fundamental nature of the area but the recent construction
in town is considerable....a Geno restaurant in the midst of it. The eastern side of Rte 195 in downtown is vastly changed from even 2 or 3 years ago.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I have yet to find any trace of what is commonly called a " town."

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I always laugh when people say someplace has nothing to do or is boring. Make your own fun and it won't matter where you live.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I always laugh when people say someplace has nothing to do or is boring. Make your own fun and it won't matter where you live.

I disagree. If you are accustomed to living in a place that offers access to specific amenities, be it art, theater, cuisine, sports, sights and sounds, or ready access to compatible dating partners, moving to a place that doesn't have those things really sucks. If I'm Sue Bird, and I've lived in Seattle, cool parts of Russia, etc., I wouldn't want to try to "make my own fun" in Storrs either.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Geno and CD must be a couple of boring people who've spent almost 30 years in Storrs (aka Borrs) coaching young women like . . . Sue Bird. Geno and Chris are obviously beyond caring anymore. What's wrong with Shea and Marisa? Do they not recognize boring?

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
I disagree. If you are accustomed to living in a place that offers access to specific amenities, be it art, theater, cuisine, sports, sights and sounds, or ready access to compatible dating partners, moving to a place that doesn't have those things really sucks. If I'm Sue Bird, and I've lived in Seattle, cool parts of Russia, etc., I wouldn't want to try to "make my own fun" in Storrs either.

That says to me that you require to be entertained which is vastly different from entertaining oneself. Books, card games, bird watching, gardening, hiking, conversation, BBQs... these are just a few of the things that one could find to entertain oneself in the country.

If you seek things to do in the bright lights of the big city its just an hour or two away by car.

Reaction Score
It's green and beautiful and pastorally picturesque, the air clean and fresh all though slightly infused with a bovine scented perfume (I grew up in the area, and springtime air was ripe with new awakenings). There are endless winding country roads to drive, lots of historical Indian Rock fences in the woods to follow, fresh eggs, the best ice cream, wonderful produce in the summer, and small town americana in abundance. The winters can be harsh, the autumn a wild mass of color and crisp air, the summer a siren's song to the beach which is not that far away by car, and a floral springtime of beauty beyond compare.

What's not to love? I live in a very big city of concrete and glass, and even though I live between two lovely parks they simply are no replacement for New England. I will always be a country girl at heart.

Exactly. But Sue grew up in the New York area and still plays in big cities (both here and abroad) and she's young, so I can understand why Storrs might not be exactly her cup of tea - her wonderful college experience notwithstanding.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
Well, taxes and lack of jobs(high and low paying no less) make CT a difficult place to thrive for many young people, if not boring...its almost as if the state wants to get rid of job seekers.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
That says to me that you require to be entertained which is vastly different from entertaining oneself. Books, card games, bird watching, gardening, hiking, conversation, BBQs... these are just a few of the things that one could find to entertain oneself in the country.

If you seek things to do in the bright lights of the big city its just an hour or two away by car.

It's at least two hours to Boston and more than three to NYC (not to mention the cost and logistics of what to do with a vehicle if you drive to either destination). That's not especially convenient.

I grew up an only child, and am extremely experienced entertaining myself. That doesn't mean that I don't consider certain things essential to my quality of life, Good cuisine, museums, theater, the beach, and romance, are all essential and non-negotiable in my book. Other people have different priorities, and that's fine. I'm just not surprised to hear someone disenchanted with the notion of living in Storrs.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
It's at least two hours to Boston and more than three to NYC (not to mention the cost and logistics of what to do with a vehicle if you drive to either destination). That's not especially convenient.

??? Just how fast do you drive? From Ellington, I can make NYC in 2.15 hours, and Boston in 1.45, and that's not even burying the needle....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom