Jay Wright Retiring? | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Jay Wright Retiring?

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
My guess is that you did not like what you did for work, to be retiring that early. I love my work and do not want to retire until the last possible moment... I can only play so much golf, and what else is there to do?
That’s cool. I mean that. In a big generality I think there are 2 types of people: those that live to work and those that work to live. I fall in the work to live category. I don’t hate my job, but if I didn’t monetarily need to work I would retire at noon today and never look back. I could happily fill out every second of every day without a job. I know people like you and I respect that we are all just wired differently.

Reaction Score
This is the mentality I don't understand.

You don't have any intellectual curiosities you've never had time to explore? I have hundreds and the list grows longer every day.
I do, and I do. But, I am thankful that I am able to satisfy those curiosities in the time available outside of my work. Thankfully, my work allows me the privilege of extreme personal satisfaction in a job "well done", and I enthusiastically accept the challenges put in front of me. IMO it seems to me that life would be empty without that. I am fortunate that what I do is really more like a hobby than work for which I am also well paid.

Last edited:

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
That’s cool. I mean that. In a big generality I think there are 2 types of people: those that live to work and those that work to live. I fall in the work to live category. I don’t hate my job, but if I didn’t monetarily need to work I would retire at noon today and never look back. I could happily fill out every second of every day without a job. I know people like you and I respect that we are all just wired differently.
I assume what you really meant to tell him was, "Dude, take some mushrooms and open yourself up to the world and all its possibilities." But we can't promote drug use here.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I do, and I do. But, I am thankful that I am able to satisfy those curiosities in the time available outside of my work. Thankfully, my work allows me the privilege of extreme personal satisfaction in a job "well done", and I enthusiastically accept the challenges put in front of me. IMO it seems to me that life would be empty without that. I am fortunate that what I do is really more like a hobby than work for which I am also well paid.
Lucky. My sister has a rewarding job she mostly loves (except writing grants). Me, I ask “if nobody told me I had to do it or paid me to do it, would I do it?” And the answer for every type of work I’ve done is a resounding no. I would always prefer to do exactly what I want to do every day. Or at least to do things that benefit me or my family, like replanting a forsythia bush this morning.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Are you a gigolo for wealthy middle-aged women?

Reaction Score
Thanks for your great reply!

Reaction Score
I can't blame Jay Wright. I'm retiring when I'm 58. You don't know how long you've got. If you can afford it, better too early than too late. I don't want to wait until I'm too old to enjoy the free time.
Good attitude.

I retired at 66 and would have done so earlier, but I had to tie up loose ends first.

Some people would rather walk out while they can walk, and while they still have good health.

Others have to be carried out. I was glad I walked out and didn't wait until I had to be carried out.

Still , if some love what they do and the challenges and satisfaction of working offset the pressures of the job, that makes sense for them.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
Having a job you love the way that you love yours is out of the ordinary and very much a privilege.

Most jobs society requires to function, well, let's just say there's a reason they have to pay someone to do it.

Reaction Score
I
I can't blame Jay Wright. I'm retiring when I'm 58. You don't know how long you've got. If you can afford it, better too early than too late. I don't want to wait until I'm too old to enjoy the free time.
Retired at 61 - loved my job but my Dad died at 62 and my husband at 58. I had too many things I wanted to do and realized we never know how long we've got. Never looked back.

Reaction Score

Very cool... Now that we've gotten gigolo out of the way, I'm super curious as to what you do...

Reaction Score
So Knicks, 76ers, or Nets for Jay Wright?
On the surface, the Knicks would seem to be the biggest challenge with their long time culture of losing.

But wait! Bringing full functioning to the dysfunctional Nets would be quite the challenge too. Could he makeover Kyrie and get Simmons to actually play?

And the 76ers? What about managing Harden and keeping him happy, and dealing with the injury-plagued Embiid.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
So Knicks, 76ers, or Nets for Jay Wright?
I think Jay likes coaching at the college level, but not prima donnas. I could see him doing a JC and taking a couple years off, then going to a D3 just for fun far more than I can see him going pro.

Reaction Score

Maybe not this offseason but just a matter of time... feels kind of like a Billy Donovan redux
Reading those quotes from him makes me feel that he'll definitely be back coaching within the next few years.

Reaction Score
I was always told he would never leave Nova for another college basketball program but he was always intrigued by coaching the best in the sport if the perfect NBA job came along. It used to be a money thing where he could get his 10-12 million guaranteed if the right NBA job opened up for him and if it doesn't work out his family is set for life.

The money went up a lot in college and at Nova and he's set for life but with the NIL stuff changing the landscape he doesn't like the direction of the college game, doesn't want to reinvent himself there and he viewed it all as a second full-time job now. Without NIL he would've stayed at Nova but the opportunity to coach the best without all the other stuff is really appealing to him.

Reaction Score
Just to support my original position that the NEWBIE can’t compete, each ACC school is getting $42 million this year. ND is getting $10.8 essentially for basketball. The NOOBS get what? $5.5 or $6? If a guy is looking at the Johnnies or VaTech, who you think going to win that battle? The one who has to mortgage its library or the one who uses couch change?

Are you trying to compare all of the ACC's conference income to the Big East baskeball only media contract income? With just tournament credits and BE tournament revenue alone you're leaving off millions of dollars (except to UConn being a new member). Most importantly, most BE schools don't have to pay for the money suck known as BCS level football.

Apples to oranges, and you know it (or if you don't, that explains some of your hang up with the conference).

(I hate having to reply to you, but feel it's a must when you put out misinformation like this that could confuse people who are unaware.)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom