Jay Wright Retiring? | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Jay Wright Retiring?

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
I think it’s fair to speculate that Wright didn’t like the direction of college basketball with NIL and free transfers, etc. Just about every report on him retiring mentions it, he’s not denying it. If I were him I wouldn’t say it directly, there’s nothing positive that can come out of it.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
I get the feeling he may come back. Exit was abrupt and he’s still relatively young.

Reaction Score
Jay Wright did seem to have that look to him at the Final Four, like that feeling of awkwardness. I’m thinking he’s retired for good and good for him, unless he gets an overwhelming offer and has that hunger. The money I don’t think he’s all about that if that hunger isn’t there.

Reaction Score
In classic Providence fan fashion they are jacked up about Jay Wright leaving. What a bunch of clowns
Which board were you reading? I’ve read the reactions on 3 of the other teams boards so far, including their main board, and all have been respectful, all have expressed regret at the loss this represents for the league. I did not find the reaction you’re describing at all. In fact, a Nova fan left this message on PC’s board:

“As a long tome Nova fan, I'd like to thank all you PC stalwarts who have posted positively about Jay Wright and his impact not just on Villanova but the BE and college basketball in general. In a time when outright hostility toward opponents has become the norm it's good to know that there are fan bases who understand that once the games have been played, and seasons have come and gone, acknowledgement and respect for the accomplishments and impact of others still exists. The Marquette board also had laudable postings regarding Jay...unlike the flatlanders of Kansas, one of whom was so proud as to announce, "Bill Self ENDED Jay Wright!" Anyway, thanks again, and looking forward to next year's encounters with the Friars.”

Reaction Score
I can't blame Jay Wright. I'm retiring when I'm 58. You don't know how long you've got. If you can afford it, better too early than too late. I don't want to wait until I'm too old to enjoy the free time.
My guess is that you did not like what you did for work, to be retiring that early. I love my work and do not want to retire until the last possible moment... I can only play so much golf, and what else is there to do?

Reaction Score
My guess is that you did not like what you did for work, to be retiring that early. I love my work and do not want to retire until the last possible moment... I can only play so much golf, and what else is there to do?
I do lots of coaching, volunteer work and foreign travel. I will have plenty to do. I guess when you have a certain amount of money and can afford to retire, the BS tolerance is much less than it used to be. However, the men in my family don't live to super old age, and I'd rather spend a few years enjoying life.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I was asked in 7th grade what I wanted to do for a career and I said be retired. I was ready then. Sadly, I’ll work longer than I really want to. WFH has made that more tolerable.

I don’t think the new college hoops landscape is as pleasant as it was for any of these coaches.

Reaction Score
I was asked in 7th grade what I wanted to do for a career and I said be retired. I was ready then. Sadly, I’ll work longer than I really want to. WFH has made that more tolerable.

I don’t think the new college hoops landscape is as pleasant as it was for any of these coaches.
Yep, it was the NIL stuff for Jay Wright. He didn't want to reinvent himself and he viewed it as a second full time job outside of his coaching job.

You were a smart 7th grader.

Reaction Score
Travel the country, travel the world, hike, bike, lift weights, run, read, write, paint, photography, sit by the beach, sit by the lake, volunteer, play a sport, listen to music, learn an instrument, watch movies, become a good cook, learn a new language, get involved in local politics, kayak/canoe, work on cars, take care of animals, brew beer, wood carve, blow glass, home improvement, gardening/grow your own vegetables...

Reaction Score
The idea that the transfer portal has a damn thing to do with him retiring is preposterous
This guy gets it. For those of you who think otherwise, go to The Athletic website and read about his press conference.

Reaction Score
Wow, assuming all good health-wise, Jay Wright retiring ~15-20 years early, is..... terrible news for Villanova and actually pretty great news for UConn
Why great news for UConn? Villanova isn't going anywhere and neither is its culture.

Reaction Score
Know a guy that knows him pretty well and he said no way he goes to the NBA. Coaching the Olympics totally soured him on the league. My friend does not know why he is retiring but he says Wright and the Nova administration don’t always get along and thinks Wright may have had enough
Not true re Jay's relationship with the administration.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
my guess is that mr wright is heading deep back into the suit world.
he has been a transcendent figure in the cbb, and that window exposed his natural talents to a wider audience. a dee rowe of forsight and execution, with a way higher ceiling given his age and the times at hand.
these talents are highly transferable, desirable, and in demand for almost any large enterprise. c-suite city.
i wouldn't be surprised if his next stop had nothing to do with hoops.

Reaction Score
Why great news for UConn? Villanova isn't going anywhere and neither is its culture.
Wright was among the very best coaches in all of CBB and is one of the greatest ever. Kyle Neptune is almost certainly not going to maintain the same level of success, even if he's a very good coach.

Reaction Score
Just to support my original position that the NEWBIE can’t compete, each ACC school is getting $42 million this year. ND is getting $10.8 essentially for basketball. The NOOBS get what? $5.5 or $6? If a guy is looking at the Johnnies or VaTech, who you think going to win that battle? The one who has to mortgage its library or the one who uses couch change?

MJ1

Reaction Score
Just to support my original position that the NEWBIE can’t compete, each ACC school is getting $42 million this year. ND is getting $10.8 essentially for basketball. The NOOBS get what? $5.5 or $6? If a guy is looking at the Johnnies or VaTech, who you think going to win that battle? The one who has to mortgage its library or the one who uses couch change?
They can compete if they use NIL correctly. All the Big East schools have have donor’s that can do what Miami just did and what other Power school’s are doing, especially SEC Football. The power schools are not using the $42 million they get annually. They are using donor’s and corporations to make NIL payments to get players.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Nova isn't going anywhere.

Then Nova is going to change history, and not follow in the footsteps of every other program that lost a legendary coach. Doesn't mean the decline is permanent, but it's going to happen. It might even take a year or two to kick in, but kick in it will

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom